Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The psychology of "wants" ...

Started by AbraCadabra, June 22, 2012, 12:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbraCadabra

There is some thing quite obvious and for some reason not recognized - or steadfastly ignored about all our 'WANTS'.

1.  If we say we WANT, this that or the other, - it simply means ... WE DO NOT HAVE.

Often we DO NOT HAVE ... what we do not REALLY need, in the first place. But ever so often we INSIST on having something - we really do not need, or simply something that just cannot be had – the stars from the sky?

The saying: "Be careful what you wish for - as you might get it..." holds true in more then one sense.

2.  If we have WANTS, we feel a constant NOT HAVING ... this in turn will become a VERY frustrating experience. VERY.
It can get us all twisted and deeply unhappy - and if the want is not really a NEED – or can't be had ... we can get very unhappy and frustrated about it all.

3.  Ever so often if such an actually-not-really-needed WANT is fulfilled - we feel 'empty handed' and wonder what it actually was all about.

For some odd reason we then 'invent' yet another WANT, believing that THIS ONE will give us what we wish for.

I'm not certain, but I think it all has to do with PROJECTION of some sort: "IF I have THIS - then THAT..."
Funny thing is, the  "- then THAT" will often not happen EVEN it the WANT was fulfilled ... i.e. back to square one.

4.  It by 'surrendering' WANTS i.e. coming to a position of WANTING NOTHING (so to speak) that me are able to break the spell of UNHAPPYNESS and NEEDINESS created by our WANTS.

Be careful of what you WANT!

What would be your experience?

Axélle
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Semiopathy

To quote John Galt:
QuoteYour teachers, the mystics of both schools, have reversed causality in their consciousness, then strive to reverse it in existence. They take their emotions as a cause, and their mind as a passive effect. They make their emotions their tool for perceiving reality. They hold their desires as an irreducible primary, as a fact superseding all facts. An honest man does not desire until he has identified the object of his desire. He says: "It is, therefore I want it." They say: "I want it, therefore it is."

By what standard do you judge what you want?  Food is a rational desire; you need it to live.  If you desire poison, you are not long for this earth.  What value, to you, is a certain object of desire, and how do you know its value to you?  To know requires a process of identification, of thought, of judgement.  If you ride on the wind of your whims, landing on one and then being blown, by chance, in any direction, you will not achieve true happiness.

To address your 5 points more directly:
1. Insisting on having something without regard to facts will not further your life.  If you choose not to discriminate between poison and food, you will die.

2. Having wants is not intrinsically bad.  If you desire nothing, you will strive for nothing, and achieve - nothing, nothing but the end of your own existence.  If you desire a relationship with someone, and you work for and achieve your aim, the result will be your happiness.

3. If you attempt to satisfy an irrational, fleeting whim, your end will not be its opposite: long-term, rational happiness.

4. To want nothing is, if taken literally, to desire non-existence, i.e. to desire not to live.  Human life has certain requirements that are not given to us automatically, including happiness; we need productive work to achieve our values.  A plant does not; it just sits there, absorbing the sun and the rain and nutrients in the soil.  That we don't always achieve our values is not to negate our need of them.  Your choice is: the pursuit (with its inherent risks, including emotional risks) of rational values, or death.

Use reason.  Check your premises.  Identify existence.  Achieve happiness.
  •  

Felix

everybody's house is haunted
  •  

ElusiveAppellation

Quote from: Felix on June 24, 2012, 01:47:56 AM

I LOL'ed.

To me, I wonder at the distinction between natural, intrinsic desires, and extrinsic desires-- desires that impinge themselves upon us from some outside origin. Marketing campaigns would be a handy example of something outward, imposing onto and interfering with a person's consciousness priorities.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything, but I do wonder how much of our desires are ones we really 'own', in that we experience them because of who we are, rather than who and how we are told to be.

I don't claim to have any answers, to be clear. Just my thoughts on desires.
  •