Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Bike riding for weight loss

Started by Sara Murphy, July 03, 2012, 11:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sara Murphy

I have never really ridden my bike as a way to lose weight.  I would ride it to work or to the store, but never extremely strenuous, just a way to save gas.
I have started riding my bike as a cardio exercise because I have bad knees and running for any extended period of time will put me on crutches (it already did once).

So are there any tips for weight loss.  Basic common sense says that I should just keep peddling at a good pace, but boy does that start to burn in my thighs something fierce.  Is there a good rule of thumb for duration of peddling, then resting, peddle, rest, etc. to maximize weight loss?

As always, thanks for any help you can offer.

"What God doesn't give to you, you've got to go and get for yourself."

"The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering if something could have materialized - and never knowing" - David Viscott
  •  

supremecatoverlord

In order to maximize weight loss, you're going to need a caloric deficit, which means you may need to change your diet as well.

The more intense cardio you pursue, the more calories you'll burn in a shorter amount of time.
However, if you're planning on traveling long distances, keeping a comfortable pace might be a good idea or you'll burn out a lot quicker than usual.

Something like this website may be helpful to you.

Not entirely related, but also be sure to drink a lot of water, as its not only important to stay hydrated, but may also aid your body in the weight loss process.
Meow.

•  

lilacwoman

local fitness centres have lots of the spinner bikes that really do burn off the calories and my neighbour is shaping up for her wedding very nicely by going three times a week.

I have bad ankle so pedalling anything makes it impossible to walk later.
  •  

Cyndigurl45

Bike riding is cardio and as long as your heart rate is in the aerobic range your doing it right, now for hard to pedal switch gears I guess??
  •  

Sara Murphy

Well the diet change has also begun.  Apparently eating white foods is bad for you...all my favorite foods are white, oh well.

I really did not even think about aerobic hart rate being the determining factor in cardio exercise.  Even when I was a college athlete I just played the sport, didn't think about how to be in shape, I just was.

Thanks all
"What God doesn't give to you, you've got to go and get for yourself."

"The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering if something could have materialized - and never knowing" - David Viscott
  •  

Cyndigurl45

Quote from: sara murphy on July 03, 2012, 09:59:28 PM
Well the diet change has also begun.  Apparently eating white foods is bad for you...all my favorite foods are white, oh well.

I really did not even think about aerobic hart rate being the determining factor in cardio exercise.  Even when I was a college athlete I just played the sport, didn't think about how to be in shape, I just was.

Thanks all
Here is my diet and workout routine;

Before you can do any good with a workout or diet (that doesn't work anyways exercise and portion control and if it's white don't bite will do it all ), you have to get your heart going to your Aerobic level 85% of max (220 - age) X .85= aerobic heart rate. Here is my one hour workout routine: 5 minutes stretching, 25 minutes on the treadmill with this routine 1 minute @ 2 1@3 1@4 1@5 1@6 then back to 1@2 and so on, repeat this cycle 5 times 25 minutes total, 5 more minutes stretching then 25 minutes of free weights doing simple stuff curls, squats, lunges and crunches finish with a good recovery drink.

Pay attention to the white don't bite part, adjust the cardio part to the bike and bring it......
  •  

barbie

Bike riding is less effective for weight loss in comparison with running, but outdoor cycling is excellent for your mental health. As bike riding and running use different parts of muscles, combination of the two will be better in minimizing possible long-term injuries in legs and spine. Bike riding is also excellent in boosting your spine. Anyway bike riding is nice for maintaining health and for weight loss.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Hikari

I have a Raleigh Mojave and I find that incorporating a bit of off road riding seems to be nice, of course you shouldn't if you have a road bike but it seems riding on the rougher trails seems to work your midsection somehow.

I also find that riding with a destination in mind is very much more effective as you seem to have a harder time to justify stopping early. Also some bike paths are really great shortcuts in the city, and if your city is like mine you can bring your bike right on the train to get around anywhere.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •