Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

DSM-V To Rename Gender Identity Disorder 'Gender Dysphoria'

Started by Shana A, July 24, 2012, 07:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

DSM-V To Rename Gender Identity Disorder 'Gender Dysphoria'
The newest edition of the psychiatric diagnostic manual will do away with labeling transgender people as "disordered."
BY Camille Beredjick
July 23 2012 8:00 PM ET

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2012/07/23/dsm-replaces-gender-identity-disorder-gender-dysphoria

The newest edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM, will replace the diagnostic term "Gender Identity Disorder" with the term "Gender Dysphoria," according to the Associated Press.

For years advocates have lobbied the American Psychological Association to change or remove categories labeling transgender people in a psychiatric manual, arguing that terms like "Gender Identity Disorder" characterize all trans people as mentally ill. Based on the standards to be set by the DSM-V, individuals will be diagnosed with Gender Dysphoria for displaying "a marked incongruence between one's experienced/expressed gender and assigned gender."
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

peky

I know it is futile but I have to say it: -and I know I am preaching to the choir-  "having a female brain that does not rhyme with my genitals is by definition a neuro-developmental error, it is a medical condition, not a psychiatric one at all.
  •  

Flan

Quote from: peky on July 24, 2012, 07:34:05 AM
I know it is futile but I have to say it: -and I know I am preaching to the choir-  "having a female brain that does not rhyme with my genitals is by definition a neuro-developmental error, it is a medical condition, not a psychiatric one at all.
Which still requires a diagnosis criteria and ability to perform a differential diagnosis from other conditions, since there are psychological conditions that are either minick or mask gender incongruance.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

Brooke777

I personally don't care what it is called as long as it is in the DSM. If it ever gets removed, I fear the Veterans Administration (VA), which is where I receive all my care, will do away with treatment. Right now all forms of non-surgical treatment are fully covered. That means I don't pay a dime for transition except for laser and SRS. If they remove it from the DSM, I will probably have to start paying. I know, it is not the best reasoning, but it is mine.
  •  

caitlin_adams

I preferred the term "gender incongruence" as used in the first draft, but this is still a step forward.
  •  

peky

Quote from: Flan on July 24, 2012, 07:53:03 AM
Which still requires a diagnosis criteria and ability to perform a differential diagnosis from other conditions, since there are psychological conditions that are either minick or mask gender incongruance.

I have to grudge agree with you, LOL.
  •  

Padma

Looking for better alternatives to 'gender reassignment' as a term, today I and a friend came up with 'gender restoration' :).
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

supremecatoverlord

Quote from: Padma on July 24, 2012, 05:36:20 PM
Looking for better alternatives to 'gender reassignment' as a term, today I and a friend came up with 'gender restoration' :).
That's a great term.
:)
Meow.

•  

Rebecca Perez

I like the change to some degree. At least the focus has moved from the idea that having a gender identity incongruent with the physical body is not a mental illness. The issue revolves around the gender dysphoria itself and most of know how painful that dysphoria can be. However, once the person has adjusted, then the dysphoria goes away and the Dx should as well though I don't like that post-transition can be used as a specifier. I think that for many people there is a finality to their adjustment and if the APA truly sees them as actually members of their target gender then the Dx should no longer apply and go away completely.

I also like that they took sexual orientation out as a subtype because, well, I want to see >-bleeped-< and its absurd attempt to connect gender identity with sexual orientation.

Of course, my preference is to put in under medical conditions since it is a medical issue. There are few mental illnesses that are only effectively treated with medical interventions ;)
  •  

MrTesto

Quote from: Padma on July 24, 2012, 05:36:20 PM

I've been hearing "Gender Confirmation" and seeing GCS as an abbreviation for gender confirming surgeries (rather than SRS).
  •  

Padma

Quote from: MrTesto on July 25, 2012, 10:26:49 PM
I've been hearing "Gender Confirmation" and seeing GCS as an abbreviation for gender confirming surgeries (rather than SRS).
I like that one too. Here in the UK I only hear 'gender reassignment', which doesn't feel right - It's like someone else is choosing for you.
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

MadelineB

Yes, I like GCS. I've also seen "Gender Affirmation Surgery", which is nice but has an unfortunate acronym.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

I don't mind that "Gender Dysphoria" is in the DSM.  However it should also state that HRT and SRS are generally the best method of treatment.  That should make it a medical condition.

Surgeons are generally reluctant to remove healthy tissue.

I have also hear Gender Corrective Surgery.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Laura91

Quote from: Ms. OBrien on July 27, 2012, 10:45:15 AM
Surgeons are generally reluctant to remove healthy tissue.

True.

I remember when I saw a surgeon about having the orchi done and he brought up this point. Once I explained to him the reasons for having it done he agreed with me. It was pretty funny, though, when he asked me "are sure you want this done?" 4 times in a row. I was laughing by the end of it. I know why he did it, though. Too many morons like to sue afterwards because they "change their minds". Well, I had no desire to change my mind then or now. Be gone you evil twins!!
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

My surgeon required letters to perform my orchidectomy.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Laura91

Mine didn't but if I needed one my therapist would have written it up no questions asked.
  •