Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

"Chick Lit" anybody

Started by suzifrommd, August 06, 2012, 08:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suzifrommd

I'm a rabid fan of so-called "Chick Lit", books written for women. I'm not a fan of historical fiction or crime fiction, but I devour book set in modern times where no one's trying to kill anyone else. I consider a book successful if I feel like I've made a new friend by the ending.

Anyone else here like this kind of stuff? Wanna' trade favorite authors?
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

grrl1nside

I won't say that I'm a rabid fan but I've certainly started reading it and enjoying it. Marian Keyes is good for a giggle or two. I won't classify it as chick lit but I have really enjoyed some of Emma Donoghue's books. I'm open to suggestions for when I next hit my local used book store.
  •  

AbraCadabra

Quote from: agfrommd on August 06, 2012, 08:30:09 PM
I'm a rabid fan of so-called "Chick Lit", books written for women. I'm not a fan of historical fiction or crime fiction, but I devour book set in modern times where no one's trying to kill anyone else. I consider a book successful if I feel like I've made a new friend by the ending.

Anyone else here like this kind of stuff? Wanna' trade favorite authors?

Oh YES... the list of my authors is VERY long from Marian Keyes to Robyn Sisman, via Chris Manby, Linda Taylor, Barbara Trapido, Louise Harwood, Niamh Greene, Lynn Peters, Gigi Levangie, Wendy Holden, Domenica de Rosa, Fay Weldon, Lisa Armstrong, Kate Atkinson, Susanne MacPherson, Sarah Mlynowski, Diane Johnson, Jane Green, Stephanie Klein, Lucy Dillon, Katie Fforde, Pauline McLynn, Sheila O'Flanagan, Carole Matthews, Jane Smiley, Erica James, Jane Elisabeth Varley, and on :)

I read books of them all, and ALL are entertaining and most readable.
Axélle
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

suzifrommd

Marian Keyes is one of my favorites. Other ones not mentioned here are Emily Giffin, Melissa Senate and Claire Cook. If you don't mind a dash of fantasy and magic, Cecelia Ahern can be fun.

If you're in the mood for more highbrow, literary stuff, Carole Shields (deceased, alas, a sad day in my life), Julia Glass, Jennifer Weiner, and Joanna Trollope.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •