News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Androgenous Jesus

Started by UCBerkeleyPostop, August 23, 2012, 08:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UCBerkeleyPostop

Supper at Emmaus by Caravaggio

Schoolchildren were shown this painting, most of the boys thought the focal character was a man, the girls thought the figure was a woman.
  •  

BrendanIsQueer

How very interesting. I wonder if that's because of a child's own biology, or because of what they know of society's views on what makes a person a certain gender? And, what would the results be like if the test was taken with adults instead of children? I find it odd how I, a guy, saw and thought Jesus looked more masculine here. I love when things like this come up that make me think! Very cool.
  •  

Padma

I think I've mentioned this before, a therapist acquaintance of mine once overheard a little boy and a little girl looking at a painting of Adam & Eve in an art gallery - the boy said "Which one's the man and which one's the woman?" and the girl replied "I don't know, they don't have their clothes on."
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

BrendanIsQueer

Padma, that is very odd! In a good way, of course. That example really does show how young children perceive gender identity. I think it possibly shows hope and potential for a more open-minded generation, if the rest of society would play their cards right. I'm not too sure how long that will take, but I hope it's soon!
  •  

Padma

Yes, I think it's a sweet anecdote about conditioning :). They weren't old enough to know about body parts, so all they had to go on was the pink/blue-type nonsense, which we get right from the maternity ward onwards.
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

Sara Thomas

Interesting painting... even more so after reading through some varying analyses of it.
I ain't scared... I just don't want to mess up my hair.
  •  

tekla

More like "Chubby Jesus Could Use Some Time at the Gym" but then again, at that time being overfed was a sign of wealth.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Pica Pica

Guy at the far right with the shell on is telling a boring fish story and dude with the white hat on is not impressed.

[That said, if it's supper at Emmaus, I'm guessing the fish/shell guy is St James, cos of the whole shell/santiago link]
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

BrendanIsQueer

Jamie D, that picture gave me the creeps but made me laugh at the same time, mostly because the guy doesn't even look like the typical depiction of Jesus?? Ahaha.
  •  

tekla

'Tis true that most people prefer the more hunky Jesus image.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Pica Pica

I think the Jesus looks like Rafael Nadal.

'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •