Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

"Proto-Lesbian" "Sex Change" 1914 Silent Film: Florida Enchantment

Started by UCBerkeleyPostop, August 30, 2012, 06:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UCBerkeleyPostop

I saw this in Women's Film class today. It is amazing, I wish you could see the whole thing but here is a condensed version:

The heroine swallows a seed that turn women into men and men into women, she then, still outwardly a women, begins acting like a heterosexual man and goes around kissing and hugging all the women. No one is fazed by this. She then ditches her fiancee who later, on a dare, swallows the seed. He begins acting effeminate, dons women's clothes and starts trying to kiss all the men but, he, unlike the woman, get chased by an angry mob and winds jumping off a pier and drowning! Big double standard here!

Warning: there are offensive racial stereotypes in this film, shot in Florida in 1914.
  •  

Elena G

'I've had a horrible dream!'

Very interesting, anticipating all that has happened now (and was already happening then). Even the double standard. Further proof of the fact that it's ALL meant to happen.

Maktūb.
Be kind to me,
or treat me mean...
I'll make the most of it,
I'm an extraordinary machine
  •  

AbraCadabra

I liked it -
Funny, oh yes, what silent movies actually could do, and bring across.  ::)

Axx
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

UCBerkeleyPostop

So many great films in this class.  As in everything at UC Berkeley, a lot of work and analysis. Catching up at home, watching Busby Berkley's The Gang's All Here with Carmen Miranda. No wonder the drag queens love her.

Also just watched and did papers on Christopher Strong and Mildred Pierce. Next, we are watching The Children's Hour
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

I find it so funny that there were no black actors in those days.  The ones in the film were black faced white actors.

The double standard is even prevalent today.

I found the film interesting, in a humorous way.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •