Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

University Restrooms

Started by Valerie, October 16, 2005, 07:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerie

The Gainesville Pride fest was yesterday & the Gay-Straight Alliance from UF had a toilet bowl on top of their table--nice attention grabber.  Better yet was that they put candy bars in it for people to take---that was the 1st time I ever took any brown stuff out of the toilet and ate it ;D Yeah, I know, I'm a dork...

So anyway, I learned that out of the hundreds of bathrooms on the University of Florida campus, only very few are gender-neutral.  The GSA is surveying the restroom locations and finding which ones could easily be converted to gender-neutral restrooms. From there all they need to do is convince people at the top to convert them...no small task, but they seem determined.  Yay them!   :D 
  •  

Brenda32

UF huh?  Real sorry about you loss Saturday.  Tigers just love gator tail  >:D
  •  

Valerie

Ouch, I didn't see that one coming...You sure know how to pour on the salt, don't you?   :D
  •  

stephanie_craxford

I've got to say that I'm kinda torn in this whole washroom thing.  It's a common problem now, and there are many places that are looking into this gender neutral washroom issue.

It's a shame that establishments have to spend so much time and effort into creating these neutral locations where we can go to answer natures call.  I can see the one side of the argument where natal females and males do not want any of the opposite sex near them while they are... lets say vulnerable (maybe not for the guys, had to throw that in)  :)  But on the other hand they are now going to segregate us into using these gender neutral zones.  I wonder what the symbol would look like.

I am a woman, I'm not gender neutral, so let me pee as other women pee.

That feels better... Just had to rant a little  :)

Steph.
  •  

Brenda32

I have lived in FL for almost 20 years now and have had to listen to MANY jokes about the Tigers being Gator bait (cause they usually are).  Only rarely do I get to return the blows.  So when I get the opportunity...I take it  ;D
  •  

Valerie

Steph,

Yeah, I do see what you mean. 

I think the main point of contention with the group seeking the change is that there seems to be no 'safe' place to pee.... 

In one scenario one could get their butt kicked or worse....in another the authorities might be called if the others within felt 'threatened' (ooh, I don't like that word but didn't know what else to use)

They also drew attention to the fact that many TG folks have this internal debate going on about which restroom to use, etc, etc...

I would use the gender-neutral restrooms if I encountered them, if only to make it so that attention isn't specifically directed towards the TG community.  Actually, I think a lot of people would use gender-free spaces if they were readily available. 

Maybe it should be the other way around--maybe the majority of bathrooms should be gender-neutral (can't we call them unisex?) and then we should have the occasional 'special' bathrooms for people who are really scared to have a co-ed potty spot. 

(sigh)...too bad the answers are never easy... 

XO,
Valerie

•  

Leigh

Quote from: Stephanie Craxford on October 18, 2005, 05:28:01 PM
  I can see the one side of the argument where natal females and males do not want any of the opposite sex near them while they are...

Its not only natal females that wish to have nothing to do with the presense of men in a restroom no matter if the stalls have doors or not.

For me there is a confort zone when I am in womens only space that just does not exist in a co-ed enviroment.

Leigh
  •  

Valerie

QuoteFor me there is a confort zone when I am in womens only space that just does not exist in a co-ed enviroment.

Ah, yes...which reminds me to clarify my earlier statement about people being 'scared' to use a co-ed restroom. 

If I used a unisex bathroom I would still feel more guarded, the 'comfort zone' is hard to imagine with a bunch of strange men hanging around, especially if they bring their locker-room talk with them.  And what fun is it to talk 'girl-talk' with men around?  (Unless we're purposely trying to intimidate them?  >:D )

•  

Dennis

I'm currently suffering from an incredible discomfort using mens rooms. I would weldome a gender neutral alternative. I know I can't use women's rooms anymore, but I would like some place I can go comfortably.

Dennis
  •  

Valerie

The restrooms at the downtown plaza here are the raunchiest I've ever seen...  They're right at the bus stop EEeewwww.......
  •  

Glora Femboy

Going to the bathroom in highschool for me can be scary at times. If I am alone in there, fine, if not, i get nervous. I have my nails painted pink and glittery, and wear masacara and usually a girl's shirt from Hot Topic, I do not get the chance to wear skirts much, unless at my gf's house, at a local concert, etc. More often than not, something negative is said to me if they see my polish, shirt, etc. I try to hide it while in the bathroom, but it is hard, and I usually use it 2-4 timesa  day in school.
  •  

Chaunte

You need to be VERY carefull when doing this.  All it takes is one person to say "sexual harassment," and you are done for.  As the law reads, males are presumed guilty.  If it is found that a male has not harrassed someone, then males are "presumed guilty but not yet caught."

Chaunte
  •  

beth

Quote from: Dennis on October 19, 2005, 12:42:58 AM
I'm currently suffering from an incredible discomfort using mens rooms. I would weldome a gender neutral alternative. I know I can't use women's rooms anymore, but I would like some place I can go comfortably.

Dennis

I know the feeling, I've been uncomfortable all my life in men's rooms.   I wont talk about the ones without stalls I had to use when I was forced into the US Army.

beth
  •