Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

My hobby is also a business, well part time now ..................

Started by eshaver, September 18, 2012, 09:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eshaver

Hey folks , I build exhibits , picture frames , and plexiglass enclosures as well as I collect old service station equipment . I guess ya could call me a Petroliuem historian . Meanwhile , I also build models . Currently, I'm trying to re create a former resturant/camp ground / swimming hole / gasoline stop and beer joint in Northern Idaho. I could certainly use any help in this project as the Core De Adelane Idaho chamber of Commerce has seen fit to ignore me .

Here's what I do know . The Fish Inn was built about 1927. It was built entirely out of native woods . It was built on a now By-passed section of highway in Northern Idaho very near the Washington border . Apperently the family who owned the place lived in Washington in later years . The place caught fire in 1991 due to a grease fire in the kitchen .

I'm trying to find any pictures anyone may have from any time period of the grounds and of the front entrance . I had to guess on the place in many instances .

I started collecting photos of the place about three years ago. The model is 1-24th scale - 1/2 inch equals a foot .

The ribs are made from Foam Core . I t will be covered with first, strips of cardboard , then Fiberglass and Plastic automobile body filler

See ya on the road folks !!!
  •  

Padma

Womandrogyne™
  •  

eshaver

I then spent several days laying many coats of Primer onto the finish as a very smooth surface would be required to lay the Birch shingles or "Scales " in this case .

At this point , I started to guess at the origional color . I also took some "Artistic Licence " and made a front entrance :

I had some left over Christmas decorations from last year . They were very small L E D's that are battery powered .
  •  

eshaver

Bowser's , a European term for ANY older gasoline or petrol pump . Bowser Pump and Tank works here in the U S was a Ft Wayne Indiana manufacturing concern that started in 1899. They manufactured oil , gasoline , an kerosene tanks and pumps until they were bought in the late 1970's .

Meanwhile , work on the Fish Inn Continues :

This is a model of a Wayne manufactured 10 gallon visable , model 615 made from 1926 - 1941.

I'm still working on the base it will rest on . More later ....................
  •  

Eva Marie

Neat! I hope that you are able to dig up more pictures of the place.
  •  

sandrauk

I've never heard bowser used for any pump. We used it solely for the fuel bowsers (trucks) which delivered fuel to the aircraft
  •  

Beth Andrea

Nice kit/diorama! Very good detail...I lived in Spokane between 89-97, don't recall hearing about the Fish Inn...but, the Spokesman-Review may have mentioned the fire...they were pretty good about reporting on local historical oddities. Maybe they'll have a picture?

The spelling is Coeur d'Alene.

Their website should have it in their archives.

Also, I did a search for "fish inn cda idaho" and found some more pictures, some in color.

Re: "bowser" I'm with sandrauk, the term is used (in America) as the fuel truck for aircraft. I could see it being used at one time for fuel pumps for cars, but since the early 70's fuel prices have gone up, ending America's love affair with the pump. Terms of endearment for gas probably went away about that time.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Padma

Womandrogyne™
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: Padma on September 18, 2012, 11:02:36 AM
The pumps I linked to are in Australia.

Yes, but I enjoy hearing about how different foreigners do/say things. Both "foreign foreigners" and "American foreigners" LOL...we're all "those people!" to someone... :)
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Padma

Womandrogyne™
  •  

Sara Thomas

Very cool project!

Quote from: sandrauk on September 18, 2012, 10:22:06 AM
I've never heard bowser used for any pump. We used it solely for the fuel bowsers (trucks) which delivered fuel to the aircraft

We called the oil-servicing unit a "bowser", when I worked on USN aircraft.
I ain't scared... I just don't want to mess up my hair.
  •  

eshaver

Thank You everyone ! Uh, this is NO KIT . This is a completely scratch built piece . I also build custom built doll houses too. I just need to know what scale i'm working in . I've already done several using building plans from old Victorian homes ............
  •