Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Pollution leading to sex change in animals

Started by Shana A, October 15, 2012, 08:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Pollution leading to sex change in animals
By MIZONEWS.NET       |     October 15, 2012
By Maneka Gandhi

http://www.mizonews.net/op-ed/pollution-leading-to-sex-change-in-animals/

In school you learn that biological sex is a game of X and Y chromosomes. Women have two X's, and men have X and Y. Those with sexual abnormalities and whose sex cannot be classified as male or female are hermophrodite (the polite term is now intersexual ).

The word hermaphrodite is a combination of the names of the Greek gods Hermes (male) and Aphrodite (female).Humans are rigidly bound. For a man to become a woman and vice versa, it takes a series of very painful operations and the disapproval of society. But animals, god bless them, can have much more fun with their identities. In the wild, gender ambiguity is natural and practically anything goes. From protozoa to pill bugs to porgies, changing from one sex to another is a way of life. Some species will begin life as males and switch to females and others switch from female to male. Some will change sex in both directions, and others will be both sexes at the same time. Most species will only change once, but there are some species that change numerous times.

The hamlet, a tropical fish, can shift back and forth between the sexes in just 30 seconds. That speed comes in handy during the hamlet's marathon sex sessions; hamlets spawn an average of 14 times in one day. Sometimes, all it takes is an environmental factor to alter one's gender. Humans don't need survival strategies – we are now more than 7 billion – but every other species does.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

samanta

It would be so much easier if we all have both organs and we can choose what to do on a daily basis, I think a seahorse is like this
  •  

Laura91

Quote from: samanta on November 01, 2012, 10:53:41 AM
It would be so much easier if we all have both organs and we can choose what to do on a daily basis, I think a seahorse is like this

I would eliminate the male bits in an instant. I already tossed out half of them so that's pretty good.
  •  

justmeinoz

On the other hand it would mean you could give birth if you wanted to.  And strap-ons would be unneccessary. ;)
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •