Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Renewing WA driver's license

Started by AngieT, October 29, 2012, 09:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngieT

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or suggestions for renewing my WA state driver's license.

My story:

I started transition in 2003 while living in the metro Seattle area, and had my driver's license changed to reflect my new name/sex.  Everything since then has gone wonderfully, but due to personal circumstances, I had to relocate to Florida earlier this year.  Unlike in Washington state, Florida is giving me a hard time, and won't modify my driver's license to reflect female like my WA license.  Rather than be classified as male again, I chose instead to keep my WA license.

I'm now in a situation because my WA license is getting ready to expire.  I've inquired with the Washington DMV, and was told that I must have a RESIDENTIAL address in Washington state.  When my license is renewed the replacement license will be sent to that address.  That piece of mail cannot be forwarded or sent to the mailing address on file for whatever reason.  I checked to see if I could have the mail sent to a virtual street address/box, but from what I see that won't work. 

My option at this point looks like I have to fly back to WA for a week or two, pay for a residential vacation rental for two weeks, and wait for my new license to arrive before flying back to Florida.  This will be set me back over a thousand bucks, all just to renew my license for 5 more years.  It would have been a lot easier to renew it online except for the residential address. 

My question:  Has anyone ever dealt with this type of situation before?  If so, how did you manage to do it?  Virtual street address?  Friends address?  ANY guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

•