Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Anyone else enjoy Lego?

Started by Kaila, October 31, 2012, 09:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaila

Was searching around the board and couldn't find anything regarding this.. so I went and obtrusively made a topic ^_^ (hope it's ok)

I recently rediscovered my love of building Lego and it really helps to bring out a real creative side I think. Been collecting some of the old sets from when I was young and am really enjoying it as a hobby.

Anybody else have it when young or still liking it?

I need a bigger cupboard now ^^;;

•  

Devlyn

Nice work! You made a great topic, and put it in the right section. Start as many as you like. Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

twit

When I was little, we were poor, so all we had to play with were pine cones.
  •  

eli77

My aunt sent me http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=6923_1&v=z for Christmas when I was 6. It instantly displaced all other gifts. I spent the next 4 years collecting M-tron and Blacktron Space Lego. Lego is the most awesome thing. And Space Lego is the most awesome Lego because it's shiny.
  •  

Kaila

Loved space it was one of my fav's too. I took my collection to school one day and got it all stolen >.< obviously have made up for it these days lol
  •  

Sara Murphy

I am a huge LEGO collector.  I'll keep it short because I could go on forever.  If you want me to go on forever please ask, I love those little bricks.

My collection sits at:

200,000+ pieces
Just shy of 900 sets
Oldest set is from 1974, a year before I was born
My newest set was bought today
I have all of my sets and pieces cataloged online and in my own spreadsheet
I have made my own a custom building table
I have gone to a few conventions in the midwest when I was able to attend
My dream has been to build the perfect castle.  I have tried for years now, many incarnations, but still have not been able to get it right.  But, I will keep trying as long as my fingers hold out.
I once built a baseball stadium that had three decks, a press box, dugouts, concessions, lights, and filled with minifigures in the stands.  It was about four feet tall and about 5 feet square
My favorite theme would have to be the Pirates from the late 80's early 90's.

So, yes, I enjoy LEGO.
"What God doesn't give to you, you've got to go and get for yourself."

"The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering if something could have materialized - and never knowing" - David Viscott
  •  

Devlyn

•  

eli77

Quote from: Kaila on October 31, 2012, 10:30:19 AM
Loved space it was one of my fav's too. I took my collection to school one day and got it all stolen >.< obviously have made up for it these days lol

Oh god, that's horrible. I can't imagine. I still have all of mine. It'll go to my sis when she has kids.

Quote from: Sara Murphy on October 31, 2012, 10:41:32 AM

One of my best friends at the time specialized in Pirates (early 90s). They were pretty cool.
  •  

Jamie D

I would buy the big buckets of Lego and Duplo for my kids.  We would sometimes take over the living room and build marvelous creations and fantasy lands.  We even worked on ways to build towers that would reach to the vaulted ceiling without falling (but let's face it, when an 18-foot Duplo tower falls, it is rather impressive).

My son recently earned his Masters degree in Engineering, and my youngest daughter is an Engineering major at UCLA.  I think their experience with Legos helped shape their interest and aptitude in Math and Science.
  •  

Kaila

Quote from: Sara Murphy on October 31, 2012, 10:41:32 AM
I am a huge LEGO collector.  I'll keep it short because I could go on forever.  If you want me to go on forever please ask, I love those little bricks.

My collection sits at:

200,000+ pieces
Just shy of 900 sets
Oldest set is from 1974, a year before I was born
My newest set was bought today
I have all of my sets and pieces cataloged online and in my own spreadsheet
I have made my own a custom building table
I have gone to a few conventions in the midwest when I was able to attend
My dream has been to build the perfect castle.  I have tried for years now, many incarnations, but still have not been able to get it right.  But, I will keep trying as long as my fingers hold out.
I once built a baseball stadium that had three decks, a press box, dugouts, concessions, lights, and filled with minifigures in the stands.  It was about four feet tall and about 5 feet square

So, yes, I enjoy LEGO.

WOW!
  •  

eli77

Quote from: Jamie D on October 31, 2012, 11:10:08 AM
I would buy the big buckets of Lego and Duplo for my kids.  We would sometimes take over the living room and build marvelous creations and fantasy lands.  We even worked on ways to build towers that would reach to the vaulted ceiling without falling (but let's face it, when an 18-foot Duplo tower falls, it is rather impressive).

My son recently earned his Masters degree in Engineering, and my youngest daughter is an Engineering major at UCLA.  I think their experience with Legos helped shape their interest and aptitude in Math and Science.

I never trusted my parents enough to let them NEAR my LEGOs. Especially after my dad stepped on a bunch of them that were in MY room. What was he doing in MY room anyway? I negotiated a lock on my door not long after that. :)

I wonder if that's where I get my 3D spacial ability from. Or if that's why I liked the LEGOs to begin with.

Also, Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. <3
  •  

Sara Murphy

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on October 31, 2012, 10:51:16 AM
One vote for going on forever!

Is there anything specific you would like to hear about or shall I just type until my fingers are nubs?
"What God doesn't give to you, you've got to go and get for yourself."

"The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering if something could have materialized - and never knowing" - David Viscott
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Padma

When I was 21 and had unpleasant surgery, I was sent home on serious painkillers. All I was capable of doing for a week was sitting in the middle of the living room carpet, grinning to myself and playing with lego. I miss those simpler times... :)
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

Laura91

I had a massive tub of Legos when I was a kid. I never had any of the specific sets with a theme. It was still awesome building abstract shapes and whatnot.

This rocks! ;D
  •  

Kaila

Quote from: Laura91 on October 31, 2012, 12:51:08 PM
I had a massive tub of Legos when I was a kid. I never had any of the specific sets with a theme. It was still awesome building abstract shapes and whatnot.

This rocks! ;D

Lovely  ;) Like the song a lot too  ;D
  •  

Constance

As a kid, Lego was my favorite toy because I could use it to build other toys I didn't have.

There's a Lego store in the mall close to my home. In the window they have a huge Star Wars B-wing fighter set (I think my son said it was just under $300). There's this whole series of what looks like steam punk ghost busters that look pretty cool. I like their NASA replicas, too.