Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Another passport question

Started by tgchar21, November 10, 2012, 07:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgchar21

Is it true that in the UK, your passport carries a reference to your prior names? I mention this because on another site a British mother of adopted children says that her children's passports have their pre-adoption name stored electronically (discovered when they traveled and their passport was scanned). Does that apply only in certain cases? In the US, I know of only two cases when your passport would mention a previous name: 1. If you've changed your name by the "common law" or "usage" method you have to show a certain amount of proof that you've used your name for at least five years, or your passport will show your old name as the primary name (with your new one as an AKA), or 2. In the past (before they issued a new passport upon a name change) if you've changed your name after being issued a passport they'd just put your new name on one of the blank pages, in which case up front it would mention your old name until the next renewal time. (I think if there had been an issue we would've heard complaints about it on here, like we have about the TSA body scanners.)
  •