Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Have you been discriminated against???

Started by stephanie_craxford, October 23, 2005, 09:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanie_craxford

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced discrimination because of being a woman, not necessarily a transsexual or cd/tv, but as a woman (no offence to the FtM's here but men are not often discriminated against).  Since coming out and going full time I don't think I have been, but there may be subtle hints of it, in the way I'm sometimes treated in traditional male dominated areas such as car dealerships, and hardware stores.  I have noticed that when driving, quite a few male drivers treat you with disdain, you know, give you that look.

Just curious,

Steph
  •  

Cassandra

I don't know if you'd call it discrimination but I have experienced a, You're just a woman moment, and In my own Gallery even! I had an Artist in to talk to a collector who had something special they wanted done with some arrowheads. The artist and the collector are both men. They were standing near the desk I was sitting at while they talked and my wife was talking to the collector's wife. I was kind of in between. Anyway the collector made some comment about the quality of the artist's work and I commented that he was standing by the artist's work (it was all around him)

He looked at me like I was from Mars, made some "polite comment" and moved location kind of subtly to the other side of the Gallery where he continued his discussion of arrowheads and such with the artist. Next thing I know I here "Cassie, Sally wants to know about....?"

So there I was excluded from the "man talk" and brought over to the woman's section. As I looked across the gallery, it seemed like the man had a certain satisfaction look to him that I had been appropriately put in my place. I remember thinking, that's okay, I'm the one whose going to tell the artist what the final price of the work will be.  :icon_evil_laugh: The conversation with his wife was more interesting anyway.

Cassie
  •  

Leigh

My limited experience tells me that if a person has not found out about cross gender discrimination then some or all of these come into play.

#1  They are blind to it.

#2  They are not being seen or accepted as their gender.

#3  They refuse to accept that it has happened.
  •  

Sarah Louise

I have been discriminated against in my job, I lost one client because they said they didn't want a woman in charge of there computer system.

But then another client who usually treats women very badly, actually accepted me as a woman and started treating all women better after that.

Sarah
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Dennis

I would hope that any FtM who passes as male recognizes that he has gained male privilege along with it. I certainly notice a difference. So no offence at all for speaking the truth Steph.

Mind you, at first, when you look young, you also get decreased credibility for looking young, but it still feels different than discrimination against women does. And I must say, the latter really rankles when you don't feel female, but you're being treated that way. Not that it's right no matter who you are.

Dennis
  •  

beth

I haven't suffered discrimination mostly because of Leigh's #2 reason, not being seen as my true gender. I do suffer when I see the way it affects women. Notice how inexpensive restaurants like Denny's etc.  always have 100% women waiting tables for the one or two dollar tips? But when we go to a restaurant that costs $50 to $100 for two(plus the resultant big tips), gee it's mostly all male waiters. When you do go out to eat please tip the females as much as you can afford, they deserve it so very much.

beth
  •  

LostInTime

I have been treated differently, but that is the way it goes.  When I bought my Ford the car came with a bottle of liquid wax that had instructions that seemed to say that it was just a sealer.  When I asked about the actual application of said liquid I was given a lecture on how to properly wax a car.  I worked at an auto center at the time.   ::)

The company that I worked for trained me in their inventory system.  I was one of the few people who actually had the same rights as a store manager on the handheld computer.  Not even the auto center manager had that kind of access.  However, I was routinely given tasks such as dusting cups while someone who did not grasp the system that well was tasked with using it.

I have had my input ignored until it was verified with a male.

I am in the IT industry which is very male dominated.  Most of the time being a woman will just get you a polite, "Thank you for interviewing".

On the other side, people now hold open the doors.  No one seems to be afraid of me (good and bad here and yes, as a guy I was rather intimidating until I thinned out from the mones).  Dates usually pay for going out.  And all kinds of other things.  It kind of balances out in the end.
  •  

Northern Jane

It's a fact of life! Going from a male in a male-dominateed field to a female in a male dominated field has cost me about 40% of my potential wages over 32 years and countless promotions. Even in this day and age where discrimination is supposed to be illegal, the "old boys club" still practices it in secret (with the exception of a few token females here and there).

It was a fact of life in 1974 and it's still a fact of life.
  •  

JenniferElizabeth

Well not yet I, myself haven't been disciminated against YET. But, Here in a very backwards part of Tennessee, I know thats not far off. I live in one of the big cities here in the state, but, we have lost almost all the help we had( Before I decided to come out of denial). To date there are no more support groups,and I havent met a "sister" in a long time. And all that is close to a "sister" here are Drag Queens. And to me they are as about as helpful as tring to play golf with a bowling ball. I dont need that kind of help.
  And this state doesnt have one law of idea to help protect us, and doesn't care. So, when I get ready for RLT, I will get more than my fair share.
  •  

DawnL

I have, on multiple levels in both directions.

I was denied a job I believe because of discrimination.  I have a complaint pending with the local EOC.

On the reverse, some people still see me as male and therefore better in my profession than a woman would be.  I find this particularly upsetting and accept that I may have to relocate to escape this male privilege hangover.

Women as a whole are accepting but some resent me, either discreetly or have said so to me bluntly.  Shades of Janice Raymond here. 

The normal nonsense in stores and muffler shops.  As a musician, I now find myself guided to the cheaper equipment along with condescending explanations on why this junk is as good as serious equipment.

It comes with the territory.  The job was very upsetting, the rest, a fact of being trans, a female, or both.

Dawn
  •  

Terri-Gene

In the public sector, all I have noticed is the common everday disregard to what knowledge and experience I have in dealing with things not generally associated with women, but strangely enough, at work, where I have gained near total acceptance with who and what I am, I am slowly noticing a tendancy in the way I am treated in the workforce.

At the beginning, when I still acted and reacted more male like, I was actually treated quite well in regard to the assignments I got and the type of work I handled.  When I was assigned to my present position it was a 6 hour a day job which no one else really wanted as I was no longer a route driver, I was fixed to the clinic I was assigned to and just hand delivered records and speciments to the various med units when they were delivered to me by the drivers, the job didn't have any prestege etc...

Later, my position was increased to 8 hours a day, a full 40 hour shirt, but they did so by assigning me to what I call a "garbage run", I have to spend two hours a day running around the various clinics in Roseville picking up dirty laundry and recyclable cardboard.  It's kind of dirty work and of course no one else would do it, so it was just added to the responsibilities of my position.  I used to get asked about my feelings or desire to do anything different from ordinary, but now I notice I don't get asked.

Although Kaiser is highly non discriminatory, and I have found it an excellent place to work and transition in, I do notice a tenancy to treat men and women differently in all departments.  With EVS, Environmental services, the clean up prople, I notice all the vacume and rug cleaning, ie, cleaner jobs requiring certain simple skills, the men do it.  If it has to do with cleaning sinks and toilets or any kind of gooky thing, the women do it.   It is even women who empty the bins of cardboard I bring back to the main hospital.  As I said, it is a dirty job, even if it isn't heavy, so guess who has to get thier hands dirty.

And if someone pukes in the middle of of the lab or in line at the pharmacy, don't even waste the time to figure who gets the job? Certaintly not the male who was standing there when it happened.

For my own part, it's not a serious thing in my case.  I get more work I get more hours I get more money, but it does bother me that in the beginning, It would have been discussed.  What they do these days is talk with the other people I would be coordinating with do it or not and depending on how it serves thier individual efforts involved either way, even down to the partner I work with normally and how it affects her share of the workload while I am gone for two hours or more and between them they determine how I will operate and what my schedual is like and how it will be rescheduled..... of course my input isn't really necessary it seems..... All I gotta do is make what they come up with work, not a moments distraction or my work at Riverside piles up for when I get back.

What happens when it piles up?  I end up having to work right through breaks and lunch in order to get it all done by the end of shift.  About a half hour before quitting time I have to collect containers of specimens, some room temp, some refriderate and some frozen and put them in the Van which I use during workdays because of the running back and forth I do in my job.  My own keys, gas card etc.  I pick it up every morning and park it back at the main hospital every day.

I hate this, as my own schedule is entirrely dependant on other people on time and I must have all present work done before running the route, and I have to be back before 3pm as there is a load waiting for me to deliver and another load on the way, so it's cram a sandwich or something and start sorting and delivering to catch up.   the put a pedimeter on me last year and it came up over a period of a month that I walked 10 miles a day on the job and in doing my job I constantly lifting, pushing, pulling, tossing, etc... etc... makes for a day, lemme tell ya.  But It's work, I'm grateful for my job, and it has supported me all through this, so I get less and less inclined to grip about stuff that I can handle.

Terri
  •  

Thundra

<<<<< On the other side, people now hold open the doors.  No one seems to be afraid of me (good and bad here and yes, as a guy I was rather intimidating until I thinned out from the mones).  Dates usually pay for going out.  And all kinds of other things.  It kind of balances out in the end. >>>>>

<GAG!!!!!>

I can hear Susan B. Anthony turning over in her grave.  Please tell this was a joke.  A really, really bad joke.

How can anyone possibly equate having a door opened for them to earning 70 cents to every dollar a man makes doing the same job?
How can anyone equate having a date pay for the date to being passed over for a promotion that goes to a less qualified male applicant?  Do you even realize how much the women that have come before you have suffered to get you the rights you now enjoy?  Do you?  <sigh>  Balances out? I cannot believe that you could ever think such a thing!
  •  

Northern Jane

QuoteHow can anyone possibly equate having a door opened for them to earning 70 cents to every dollar a man makes doing the same job?

How can anyone equate having a date pay for the date to being passed over for a promotion that goes to a less qualified male applicant?

Some of us can't! That's why we become well known to the Human Rights people, companies H.R. departments, unions, etc.

Some of us are the most MILITANT feminists around!  :o
  •  

LostInTime

Thundra,

My pay scale has not been impacted due to my change.  What I posted was clearly an example of my own personal experiences.  I am sorry that you failed to grasp that.

Besides if I end up being with someone who wants me to take care of the home, I have no problem with that at all, providing that the partner earns enough for me to do so.
  •  

Shelley

I think it is time we acqaint ourselves with the rules.

QuoteRule 14. You may challenge the issue, but never the person..

For the sake of peace and harmony within this site please keep your remarks to the subject and not directed at the individual.

Shelley
  •  

LostInTime

It was not meant as an insult at all nor an attack.  Just stated that she did not "get" that I was posting personal experiences and thoughts instead of things for all of women kind.

Grasp--
# To take hold of or seize firmly with or as if with the hand.
# To clasp firmly with or as if with the hand.
# To take hold of intellectually; comprehend.

Please note the last one.  It applies and the post is not a flame.
  •  

LostInTime

I had no idea but wanted to do CYA anyway.  Just habit after so many years of dealing with non-techy people in the course of my job.  :)
  •  

Shelley

It was just meant as reminder that if we put forward our opinions in the first person as in "I feel.. or I think" then it is less likely that they will be misinterpreted as personally directed especially if it is not intended that way.

Shelly
  •  

Leigh

Quote from: Northern Jane on November 23, 2005, 09:55:09 AM

Some of us are the most MILITANT feminists around! :o

Sounds like at least three of us would make rush limburgers list of Feminazis!
  •