Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

First attempt at Huevos Rancheros....

Started by Beth Andrea, January 24, 2013, 12:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth Andrea

Ok, so I'm working out my issues with cooking, kitchening, etc.

I'm trying [ Yoda]No! Do not try! Do! Or do not! There is no try![ /Yoda] moving away from boxed/canned menu items, and during my many Thrift Store forays, found this really cool cook book, "Cooking for one or two."

There were about a dozen recipes that had bookmarks showing the pages, and the first one was for Huevos Rancheros...which I think is Spanish for "Outrageously easy and delicious eggs with salsa". At least, that's what developed as I followed the recipe.

Pics:

Making scrambled eggs...3 large and 1 medium. (I just killed off the remaining large dozen I had...a neighbor gave me another dozen mediums). I can do this!!

After starting the eggs, I cut up and de-seeded the tomatoes, grated the cheese, and Chipolte sauce'd in a (smallish) mixiing bowl...TIP TO SELF: Prep this stuff before starting the eggs!!! Also, it's better to have TOO BIG a bowl, than one that's not big enough.

Ok, Eh'by'ting in der Bowlen!! Mix mix mix...start heating the tortillas (one at a time) in the pan...scoop half the mix into a tortilla, fold in half, heat for 2 mins, flip, another 2, remove. Repeat for second.

Add a side of sour cream, more salsa, and cut both in half (per cook book), or in 3rds (per Beth), smell the aroma, enjoy the sight, savor the flavor!!

In addition, I went far beyond the instructions and actually added 2 1/2 tablespoons of pre-chopped onions to the mix!!! OMG I discovered that I love love love the smell of onions! (I've smelled that smell many times in other households, never knew what it was...just thought it was part of the magic that happens mysteriously in kitchens....)

Anyway...congratulations to me! First straight-up cooking experience went well, didn't burn anything down, didn't throw up afterwards, my nieghbors (with whom I shared this feast) both raved about the experience.

YAY ME!!

^-^
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Adam (birkin)

I've been wanting to learn how to cook actual food for a long time and this looks delicious. ;D And the way you laid it all out in the post makes sense to me, since recipes generally confuse me. I might just give it a try.
  •  

Beth Andrea

Cool! This is a way easy item, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it!  :P

There's lots of other recipes in the book I'm using, most of which are just as easy. They're designed for, well, one or two diners. Written and performed by generally elderly people, who have DECADES of experience cooking. They just trimmed down the recipes for two, and simplified the process. EASY!

Cooking for One or Two

...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

•  

big kim

Congratulations on losing your cooking virginity!I was 31 before i cooked anything for my self!
  •  

Jamie D

Well done, Beth Andrea!  You can hardly go wrong with Huevos Rancheros.  I like to make mine with a green chili sauce.

Next time you make them, pair them with Patatas Bravas.
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: Pleasingly Plump Jamie D on January 24, 2013, 02:18:59 AM
Well done, Beth Andrea!  You can hardly go wrong with Huevos Rancheros.  I like to make mine with a green chili sauce.

Next time you make them, pair them with Patatas Bravas.

"Brave little potatoes"?  :D

LOL...but I will look Into it.

Thx!

•