Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What is "K-lined"?

Started by Beth Andrea, January 29, 2013, 11:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth Andrea

So I tried to get on chat...was able to get there, briefly. Never been on chat before (never saw a need for it).

While there, I was trying out the emoticons, click, click, double-click, etc watching the various faces etc show up...

Suddenly I got a butt-load of text, at the end of which it said (I paraphrase), "Beth has been disconnected. Reason: K-line."

Most of the text above that was (I felt) a rather nasty verbiage about "not using my chat to advertise", etc.

Hey, I'm new to all this. I have no idea what I did wrong, or didn't do, or whatever.

Please, someone, tell me what "K-Line" means...?

Thanks.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Jamie D

"K-line" is short for "Kill line."  It usually means you have been banned from the server.  The best bet is to contact the Chat Administrator (Flan?) or member of the Chat Staff.

I don't use chat, so I am not totally sure.
  •  

Cindy

Hi Beth,

I've been on chat a few times and got as confused as anything.

The chat staff are really good. Just pm them and explain, I know they will guide you through the protocols etc.

I think -but this is ignorant thinking- chat sites can pull the plug very quickly to keep bandwidth available, so if someone is is exploring and not responding the online Mod will kill the connection to free up width. It isn't any sort of penalty pull, just a management thing.

Hugs Doll

Cindy
  •  

Osiris

What probably happened is you flooded the chat with the emoticons. If you send text or icons a certain number of times within 5 seconds you get booted. With that comes a 2 minute ban from the server. I'm sure if you tried to sign back in again it'd allow you to do so. :)
अगणित रूप अनुप अपारा | निर्गुण सांगुन स्वरप तुम्हारा || नहिं कछु भेद वेद अस भासत | भक्तन से नहिं अन्तर रखत
  •  

Beth Andrea

Ok, understood.

Im not inclined to go back...never understood the purpose to a public chat, and if i get banned for just seeing how things work, without a warning etc...

To hell with that.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

•  

Sarah Louise

Hi,

You weren't banned, only a 2 minutes "vacation".  If you had gone back I'm sure someone would have explained what happened.  Also, if a Moderator was around they would have pardoned the offense as you did not do it on purpose.

Give us a try again, we really are a fairly nice group of people.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Flan

Spamming emoticons is considered flooding. The speed of the messages is what triggered the bot.

[23:09:43] Beth [jirc@redacted] has joined #TSTalk
[23:10:01] <Beth> Hi
[23:10:46] <Beth> Took awhile to get here...
[23:11:04] <illiath> Hi there
[23:11:22] <Beth> Helloooooooooooo
[23:11:26] <Beth> Oh hi!
[23:12:15] <illiath> So how are you this evening?
[23:12:33] <Beth> Umm...ok.
[23:12:50] <Beth> Just trying to figure out this chat thing...never been on one before.
[23:12:58] <Beth> I almost gave up on it.
[23:13:31] <Beth>   [monkey]
[23:13:31] <Beth>   [monkey]
[23:13:33] <Beth>   ;O
[23:13:34] <Beth>   ;O
[23:13:35] <Beth>   :(
[23:13:37] <Beth>   :)
[23:13:39] <Beth>   ;P
[23:13:43] <Beth>   moo
[23:13:43] Beth [jirc@redacted] has quit IRC: Killed (OperServ (K-Lined))
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

Emily Aster

That's a phrase I haven't heard in a long time. I didn't even realize IRC was still out there.
  •  

Beth Andrea

The thing i didn't like was there was no warning, no instructions about "no spamming" (I would've been grateful for a simple message like "Please limit emoticons to 3 per minute, thx"...followed by one or more progressively stern warnings...)...instead I got a "OMG! You ....! You pised me royally now! You've been K-lined!!! Next time don't waste MY bandwidth, ....!" (I paraphrase)

Apologies for the foul language...but that's how I felt after the frustration of having to download, then install Java...then having to restart my computer, then having to figure out how to sign in, then thinking chat isnt working...until it suddenly started working after a minute...after all that, i get this obnoxious message for just trying to see how the emoticons work (the easiest, and most ubiquitous symbols online)

Nevermind that I never knew if only Susan's people are on there, or if any random denizen can show up...

After all that...I think Ill just stick to FB.

•  

Susan

You are limited to no more than 5 consecutive lines of text in 10 seconds. When you posted the 6th it disconnected you. The counter and timer is reset if someone else types or 10 seconds goes by.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •