Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Disabled or Too-Abled?

Started by LostInTime, May 21, 2007, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

The Ledger
By JERÉ LONGMAN

Track and field's world governing body, based in Monaco and known by the initials I.A.A.F., has recently prohibited the use of technological aids like springs and wheels, disqualifying Pistorius from events that it sanctions. A final ruling is expected in August.

The International Olympic Committee allows governing bodies to make their own eligibility rules, though it can intervene. Since 2004, for example, transgender athletes have been allowed to compete in the Olympics.

"With all due respect, we cannot accept something that provides advantages," said Elio Locatelli of Italy, the director of development for the I.A.A.F., urging Pistorius to concentrate on the Paralympics that will follow the Olympics in Beijing. "It affects the purity of sport. Next will be another device where people can fly with something on their back."
  •  

Thundra

This is ridiculous. They are simply afraid he might win and make them look bad.

Besides, I thought that the Olympics was supposed to be about being the best you can be?
  •  

ChildOfTheLight

I don't see a problem here...you can't ride a bike in a running event, so if prosthetic legs give you an advantage (and such prosthetics are coming soon, if they aren't here already...I saw someone at my college who had mechanical leg extensions that attached to the feet (he was completely healthy) that he claimed allowed you to run 20 mph -- they weren't motorized or anything) they shouldn't be allowed either.
  •