Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

3d printing

Started by misschievous, April 06, 2013, 08:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy_pap

I have orded a 3d printer kit called makibox  it is still under development to print 3d art
but I think you gays are thinking of what you can do with a 3d printer

3d printer are used in labs all the time

what is scary is what is possible some one has printed a gun from a 3d printer

anyone can be a
artist
toy maker
engineer 
life saver
killer

the only limit is what you can get hold of or design and we all know we can illegally download files. stl files will follow
  •  

Ltl89

My friend has her own 3d printer in her room.  She's an engineer, so I guess it makes sense for her to have purchased one. Though, I'm sure her's has a lot more limitations than the ones she works with at her job.

3d printing has come a long way.  They are already printing food and human like cells.  Who's to say what the future might bring? However, you can guarantee it will be quite expensive.

Quote from: andy_pap on June 02, 2013, 06:48:49 PM
I have orded a 3d printer kit called makibox  it is still under development to print 3d art
but I think you gays are thinking of what you can do with a 3d printer

3d printer are used in labs all the time

what is scary is what is possible some one has printed a gun from a 3d printer

anyone can be a
artist
toy maker
engineer 
life saver
killer

the only limit is what you can get hold of or design and we all know we can illegally download files. stl files will follow

Guns are already easily available that I couldn't imagine anyone trying to obtain weapons through this method.  These printers are quite expensive (even low grade ones) and the quality of the guns are not too impressive.  It would make more sense for someone to go to a gun show and purchase their weapons there. It's cheaper and more efficient. I don't see 3D printers becoming a big game changer in any way.
  •  

Flan

Quote from: learningtolive on June 02, 2013, 10:28:11 PM
Guns are already easily available that I couldn't imagine anyone trying to obtain weapons through this method.  These printers are quite expensive (even low grade ones) and the quality of the guns are not too impressive.  It would make more sense for someone to go to a gun show and purchase their weapons there. It's cheaper and more efficient. I don't see 3D printers becoming a big game changer in any way.
and is pretty much spot on. 3d printed weapons have nothing on the thousands (millions?) of people with access to basic metal working tools not less CNC milling machines.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

CalmRage

Someone in my class said he's going to build some sort of 3d printer. This may seem like hogwash, but his parents are not exactly poor and what he built (or "built"?) last year was also amazing. He seems to be quite good at programming too.
  •  

stavraki

Quote from: misschievous on May 31, 2013, 03:51:33 AM
I would imagine it will possibly be within a decade. What did you send off to Wake Forest?

Hi Mischievous, I apologise for the delay.  I came here in a pretty messed up state after a tragedy that resulted in loss of my genitals, and kept away until I got myself back together again.  When I posted on your thread here, last, I was in the centre of a big research project to see which option I had to repair my body.

There's two (organ transplantation and phalloplasty) though in reality, phalloplasty is the only accessible one.  Organ transplantation (either through organ regeneration or organ donors) are both inaccessible to us at this time, though Dr Atala, I believe, could achieve a result now.

To answer your question, I wrote to him asking where he was up to with his research and how long we would have to wait.  I heard back within 7 days.  "How long's a piece of string" was the basics of the reply.  Though, my reading of this is that should be doable within a decade, if not sooner.  There are several commercial companies vying for success, because there's money in it.  Dr Atala, I believe, has applied for FDA approval for human trial for this area (though don't quote me--I'm a bit iffy about the sources.  I couldn't corroborate them.  Dr Atala did not disclose in the letter about this area).

Also, there's a forum for men who have peyronie's disease who are also very good activists (men whose genitals are affected are extremely motivated to repair a problem.  I have to admit I was the same.  The thought of never being able to have a partner and sex life ever again was deeply challenging and came with grief and also energy to fix the problem.  Those men have been actively campaigning Dr Atala and were working on a 'mass letter event' where Dr Atala received thousands of letters begging him to help.

The problem's not the science, it's the constraints around it: beaurocracy and red tape and money.

Cheers to you and regards
stav
Courage is fear that hasn't said its prayers yet
You don't have to forgive others because they deserve it.  Forgive them because you deserve peace

Fear of others is reminding you that you are in danger of becoming what you hate
Fear of self ensures that you don't become what you hate
  •  

Night Haven

Quote from: stavraki on July 03, 2013, 03:12:16 AM
Hi Mischievous, I apologise for the delay.  I came here in a pretty messed up state after a tragedy that resulted in loss of my genitals, and kept away until I got myself back together again.  When I posted on your thread here, last, I was in the centre of a big research project to see which option I had to repair my body.

There's two (organ transplantation and phalloplasty) though in reality, phalloplasty is the only accessible one.  Organ transplantation (either through organ regeneration or organ donors) are both inaccessible to us at this time, though Dr Atala, I believe, could achieve a result now.

To answer your question, I wrote to him asking where he was up to with his research and how long we would have to wait.  I heard back within 7 days.  "How long's a piece of string" was the basics of the reply.  Though, my reading of this is that should be doable within a decade, if not sooner.  There are several commercial companies vying for success, because there's money in it.  Dr Atala, I believe, has applied for FDA approval for human trial for this area (though don't quote me--I'm a bit iffy about the sources.  I couldn't corroborate them.  Dr Atala did not disclose in the letter about this area).

Also, there's a forum for men who have peyronie's disease who are also very good activists (men whose genitals are affected are extremely motivated to repair a problem.  I have to admit I was the same.  The thought of never being able to have a partner and sex life ever again was deeply challenging and came with grief and also energy to fix the problem.  Those men have been actively campaigning Dr Atala and were working on a 'mass letter event' where Dr Atala received thousands of letters begging him to help.

The problem's not the science, it's the constraints around it: beaurocracy and red tape and money.

Cheers to you and regards
stav

Oh gosh, I HOPE that will be possible in less than a decade! Hopefully it'll get more affordable as well.
It reminds me of this article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-508028/Grow-heart-Scientists-bring-dead-organ-life-injecting-new-cells.html
And that was written back in 2008 - I'll have to look for updates on it!

For the original post - I think printing organs and the like will eventually be possible if it isn't already, but not so much an entire body. I'd worry about the cells' ability to stick together, really, and that they'd probably have to be frozen or some-such to remain viable as they're being printed, depending on the source and how long it takes to print the organ and get it transplanted.
-Fight for the changes you want to see made; become the changes you want to see in the world.-

-The world is worse enough as it is; let us be and let be. Let's stop spreading hate and start spreading acceptance...-
  •  

stavraki

hey there - :) Thanx for the url.  I've been keeping an eye on the Atala group.  I think I mentioned upstream that there are a group of male activists at the Peyrone's website who have arranged a mass letter dump to Dr Atala to encourage progress.....

I'm not sure how that went, and have been meaning to check.  cheers stav
Courage is fear that hasn't said its prayers yet
You don't have to forgive others because they deserve it.  Forgive them because you deserve peace

Fear of others is reminding you that you are in danger of becoming what you hate
Fear of self ensures that you don't become what you hate
  •