Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

3d printing

Started by misschievous, April 06, 2013, 08:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

misschievous

I was reading up on 3d printing after a news report a few weeks ago. It got me wandering how far out it would be before they could do brain transplants or make an entire body and transplant that way. pros for two people getting brain transplants are that you could have a mtf and a ftm basically trade bodies and it might not be as expensive as full bodies but downfall would be any defects on the one person would be past to the other ie already started HRT.

On the side of full bodies You could possibly instead of starting new life as the age you are it could possibly be as a teenager or maybe even younger (the new fountain of youth) Not sure if the body would end up growing properly with lab made organs and bone tissue. Also, that procedure would probably be very expensive.

I also wander how much research money it would take to get to either place. ???
:icon_lips:

"Hands and Feet are all Alike, but Fear still Divides Us."

"Cry Freedom"
                                                                       DMB
  •  

ZoeM

More than Obamacare can afford, certainly. :)

Maybe in a hundred years. But that's poor consolation for those of us living in the now.
Don't lose who you are along the path to who you want to be.

•  

Nicolette

Quote from: misschievous on April 06, 2013, 08:41:09 AM

I see a "cure" for transgenderism via manipulation of the brain (at any stage in one's life) as infinitely simpler and more feasible than full body replacements. Making sure you are born with a congruent brain in the first place would circumvent any need for major body transplants.
  •  

misschievous

Ahh but just looking at the transgender aspect of it what about diseases like if someone has a severe case of cancer in their body but their brain is healthy they could get a cloned body and have a brain transplant.

"Cry Freedom"
                                                                       DMB
  •  

Nicolette

Seriously, body transplants are so far off into the future, a cure for all cancers is more likely to be found before then.
  •  

misschievous

Well I wasn't trying to say it would be anytime soon, just thought it was interesting 3d printing thought I would share my thoughts on it. It would be neat to see the science unfold.

"Cry Freedom"
                                                                       DMB
  •  

Kelly-087

I don't think we'll ever see biological body transplants.

There's just no way to do it without killing the patient.

What we will probably see is our bodies becoming progressively replaced with cybernetic parts until the point that most if not all of our bodies might cosist of them, save for our brain.

•  

stavraki

I was reading up on 3d printing after a news report a few weeks ago. It got me wandering how far out it would be before they could do brain transplants or make an entire body and transplant that way. pros for two people getting brain transplants are that you could have a mtf and a ftm basically trade bodies and it might not be as expensive as full bodies but downfall would be any defects on the one person would be past to the other ie already started HRT.

On the side of full bodies You could possibly instead of starting new life as the age you are it could possibly be as a teenager or maybe even younger (the new fountain of youth) Not sure if the body would end up growing properly with lab made organs and bone tissue. Also, that procedure would probably be very expensive.

I just posted to another URL about this topic.

The technology is not as far away as imagined.  There are numerous competitor labs appearing around the world.  We just got one here, in Melbourne, about a week ago.  I'll post the URL directly to Dr Atala's work, who successfully *grew* a rabbit phallus, in 2009....

stav
Courage is fear that hasn't said its prayers yet
You don't have to forgive others because they deserve it.  Forgive them because you deserve peace

Fear of others is reminding you that you are in danger of becoming what you hate
Fear of self ensures that you don't become what you hate
  •  

stavraki

Here's an example of a URL citing his work:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MensHealth/researchers-regrow-functional-penis-rabbits/story?id=9016303#.UaasMZ1-_IU

That was the organ printing that grew the functional rabbit penis.  I believe there is at least word of FDA trials for humans, and I will try to find the URLs again and post them.

I've written to Wake Forest and did receive a reply, though they could not be prescriptive in their reply.
Courage is fear that hasn't said its prayers yet
You don't have to forgive others because they deserve it.  Forgive them because you deserve peace

Fear of others is reminding you that you are in danger of becoming what you hate
Fear of self ensures that you don't become what you hate
  •  

Joe.

I hated science at school, but I have every hope for the future of science. Eventually, I think that yes, this will be possible. I don't know how they'd get past the ethics of testing and whatever but science has evolved in millions of ways that people would have never of been able to imagine 100 years ago. Every day science is improving so yes, I think this will happen. I don't know when or how, but it will.
  •  

misschievous

Quote from: stavraki on May 29, 2013, 08:30:38 PM
I just posted to another URL about this topic.

The technology is not as far away as imagined.  There are numerous competitor labs appearing around the world.  We just got one here, in Melbourne, about a week ago.  I'll post the URL directly to Dr Atala's work, who successfully *grew* a rabbit phallus, in 2009....

stav
I would imagine it will possibly be within a decade. What did you send off to Wake Forest?

"Cry Freedom"
                                                                       DMB
  •  

Joelene9

3D printing with today's technology does not have anywhere near the resolution needed to manufacture anything at the cellular level.  You will have to replicate things at the molecular level such as DNA for it to work in any biologic body.  This is Frankenscience with the fears that Mary Shelley and others have written about for decades! 

Joelene
  •  

Flan

Roughly 60% of the human body can be replaced although many technologies aren't anywhere near mature (low resolution eye replacements, printed organs have to be simple parts).
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

Jamie D

The concept is the stuff of science fiction.  Do we remember "transporter beams" and "food replicators."

People laughed at the hand-held Star Trek communicators - but look at cell phones.

Tricorders?  Maybe sooner than we think.

I guess I am a futurist.  I am always hopeful.
  •  

Flan

Quote from: Jamie D on June 02, 2013, 03:33:15 AM
Tricorders?  Maybe sooner than we think.

http://www.qualcommtricorderxprize.org/

just wait for it... although to be fair I could probably do what they are demanding from the project; I just don't have access to the gear and money to prototype a PDA with attachable non-invasive patient monitoring and imaging devices.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

misschievous

As far as resolution, just think, 10 years ago people were watching tv on a regular tube television. DVD was the best video quality you could get, and most people still had a VCR. 15 years ago hardly anyone had cell phones and they were big and bulky, all you could use them for was to call someone. 18 years ago the first Windows came out with awesome resolution. You didn't have to mess with DOS anymore.

I watched a History channel program that stated" In the 19th century there was as much technology growth as the past 18 centuries combined. in the 20th century as much as the last 19. So we can assume that in the 21st there will be as much as the last 20 combined. with that being said technology will grow rapidly each decade."  So with that I think it wouldn't be too far off for technology to be where it needs within the next 10-20 years. Now that they have the technology to develop human organs they can work on improving resolution.

"Cry Freedom"
                                                                       DMB
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) What if one transplant recipient wasn't happy with their new body and wanted their old one back (You know, like what happens with de-transitioners-who realise they made a mistake) but the new owner is reluctant to give it back ? Then what ? ;) ;D

Just a thought...

Metta Zenda :
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

misschievous

Quote from: Kuan Yin on June 02, 2013, 05:03:01 PM
Kia Ora,

::) What if one transplant recipient wasn't happy with their new body and wanted their old one back (You know, like what happens with de-transitioners-who realise they made a mistake) but the new owner is reluctant to give it back ? Then what ? ;) ;D

Just a thought...

Metta Zenda :

They would be stuck with it until they find a new trade

"Cry Freedom"
                                                                       DMB
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora M,

::) I can see the potential for a body snatching-like black market  ;) ;D

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

chefset28

The whole brain transplant thing is just too "Repo GO/ Repo Men" for me... :-\ I've always imagined it to be more of a DNA thing  like where your natural body is genetically altered to fit you...  I see that as being the ultimate SRS; causing the person to be complete male/female right down to their DNA...  But I honestly doubt that anyone will ever try to research this because of how little we currently know about DNA.
  •