Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Started by girl you look fierce, April 30, 2013, 05:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

girl you look fierce

•  

Jamie D

This is pretty amazing.  If you could do this, it would be quite an accomplishment.  In fact you could be in a national talent contest.

•  

XchristineX

Not all cis girl singers had soft silky voices

Kim karnes?
  •  

Theo

Ehm...  :o

Eurovision song contest, Romanian entry. Methinks getting some classical singing training as a countertenor might really come in handy when it comes to building your singing voice. There is quite a bit of technique behind it after all. :)
  •  

Jennygirl

Careful with your voices ladies!!

I wouldn't have ever known it unless I decided to have VFS at Yeson, but the laryngoscopes showed that I had developed a vocal tremor w/ tiny hemorrhage on one side and asymmetrical tension as a result on one side. It was slowly reducing my falsetto range.

The likely cause of this is trying to train my voice to be higher for a decade, and then really going for it recently. I've been singing in try-out choirs since I was 8, and when I was in high school I always tried to force my voice into tenor range... I ended up straining a lot and it did me more damage than good because I wasn't paying attention to when I felt pain.

Before I had my VFS I tested my vocal range. My falsetto had dropped considerably after training my female voice for 4 months. Probably 5 or 6 whole notes just came out as a wheeze.

Just be safe & don't strain! I thought I was invincible because I figured I had vocal chords of steel from all the years of singing. Turns out I'd been damaging them for quite a while. Voice strain is the real deal.
  •  

Keira

Oddly enough...I'm actually okay with singing in a somewhat masculine voice. I would prefer a more feminine voice...but I like the singing range my voice has (think Fall Out Boy or Panic at the Disco).

Personally, I think my singing voice is awesome.

Maybe you're just too self-conscious about your voice, girls can have a slightly lower voice range too.

-Skye
  •  

V M

I'm not particularly the religious type, but one thing I was able to appreciate was developing a decent singing voice at an early age  :)  My mom would take my sisters and I with her to her church choir practices

My sisters didn't do so well, but I was offered a spot right away, I also was in school choirs  :)   This came in handy when I started playing in top 40 bands, I was able to sing female parts and could easily pull off Blondie, Eurythmics, the Pretenders, etc.

Of coarse with age and not practicing like I use to my voice has slipped away some, but I still get compliments

Just keep practicing, join a choir, even if you don't like what they're singing it will help you to develop a singing voice and you can always move on from there  8)
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Assoluta

You can significantly increase range over time, and it is possible for some male-voiced people to sing in a typical female range. This comes from developing a stronger head voice and mixed voice (mix between head/falsetto and chest voice).

I used to despair for not having a cis-female voice, but now I've owned the deepness in my voice and made it sound like a more gender ambiguous, not quite male, not quite female voice. Some people like it because it sounds unique, not like a typical guy or girl singer. An example of one of my songs is below:

I'll always post this video below in trans singing threads because she is my inspiration to becoming a deep voiced female singer - and proves you don't have to be a soprano (of any type) to be a great female singer (this singer isn't trans despite how she may sound!)

Quotemale and female voices sound so different...

I played the above video of Zarah Leander without showing the images, and almost everyone was convinced it was a man singing and were incredulous it was a woman!
It takes balls to go through SRS!

My singing and music channel - Visit pwetty pwease!!!:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kibouo?feature=mhee
  •  

Jennygirl

your talking and singing voices are simply incredible... way to go. You are really really good.

I mean maybe your singing voice does lack a little power behind it, but it sounds like whatever you are doing is working perfectly.

I hear NO male at all anywhere throughout the recording. You are doing a great job :D
  •  

Assoluta

Quote from: girl you look fierce on May 25, 2013, 04:23:32 PM
Thanks all... the sadness flared up again seeing the Little Mermaid performed live recently, and the girl who played Ariel had such a pretty voice...

Well I can't really compare but here's where I am now: https://soundcloud.com/user963959415/part-of-your-world-52513

@jennygirl I'm really terrified of finding out my real vocal range so I just say it's tenor. I don't actually know though. I think my comfortable range (allowing myself to sing louder) is something like D3-B4 ish.

@assoluta (also skye-blue)

That's really cool that you embraced your natural voice, I wish I could feel that way. You might also like wada akiko though you probably already heard of her all the time living in Japan.

Your singing voice has potential, it sounds sweet, but it sounds like you lack the confidence to release it, which makes sense as you may fear it sounds male. I didn't exactly "embrace my natural voice" because my natural voice is a VERY male sounding deep baritone. The Korean Song I posted above is more an androgynous sounding voice blending my male and female qualities, and it's reasonably versatile, although I'm improving all the time. I can sing up to G5, but my range before training was only up to F4 - the fact that you can go up to B4 already means probably you will be able to sing higher than me (because my deepest note is G2, rather than D3, meaning I probably have a naturally deeper voice).

And yes I do know Wada Akiko - when somebody heard me sing, they recommended that I sing her songs because I sound similar to her, and indeed her songs are easy to sing for me.

You basically have the resonance, it's just a case of sustaining the notes with vocal chord closure (so it isn't breathy like falsetto)

I sing more gently with more head voice to show what I mean by "head voice" although I milk the low notes to make it sound a little gender ambiguous :p

•  

Lexi Belle

Quote from: girl you look fierce on May 25, 2013, 06:34:35 PM
@jennygirl

Wow thank you, it means a lot to hear that from other people because hearing the timbre of my own voice makes me think I sound masculine even if maybe I do not...

@assoluta

Thanks, yes your voice seems to go both ways between andro and feminine, and that's so cool you extended your range so much! You sound really confident with your voice. I am really forcing myself to not try to hit high notes lately since I am really afraid I damaged my voice, I used to eek out notes up to like C or D6 with no proper technique, training, warmups or anything I guess because I wanted to feel feminine :( and I think I really overdid it a few times...

Also, do you think it's easier to sing in one language vs. another? Because I was thinking, I do think I have an easier time sounding feminine in like Japanese songs over English for some reason.

Yeeeeeah, I can't even tell you aren't CIS in your voice.  I think you're foolin' yourself hon. :P
Skype- Alexandria.Edelmeyer
  •  

misschievous

Quote from: Jennygirl on May 18, 2013, 08:39:20 PM
Careful with your voices ladies!!

I wouldn't have ever known it unless I decided to have VFS at Yeson, but the laryngoscopes showed that I had developed a vocal tremor w/ tiny hemorrhage on one side and asymmetrical tension as a result on one side. It was slowly reducing my falsetto range.

The likely cause of this is trying to train my voice to be higher for a decade, and then really going for it recently. I've been singing in try-out choirs since I was 8, and when I was in high school I always tried to force my voice into tenor range... I ended up straining a lot and it did me more damage than good because I wasn't paying attention to when I felt pain.

Before I had my VFS I tested my vocal range. My falsetto had dropped considerably after training my female voice for 4 months. Probably 5 or 6 whole notes just came out as a wheeze.

Just be safe & don't strain! I thought I was invincible because I figured I had vocal chords of steel from all the years of singing. Turns out I'd been damaging them for quite a while. Voice strain is the real deal.

Did they say whether or not after you heal from your surgery if you would be able to sing?
:icon_lips:

"Hands and Feet are all Alike, but Fear still Divides Us."

"Cry Freedom"
                                                                       DMB
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: misschievous on May 25, 2013, 10:57:58 PM
Did they say whether or not after you heal from your surgery if you would be able to sing?

As long as recovery goes well, then yes :)

My guess is I will somewhat have to retrain my voice though. I've been making a few short noises at a comfortable tension and the pitch is at around ~200hz which is 70hz up from before. I've really only done this once or twice though. On Wednesday I'll actually be allowed to start using a few words in speech!

I'm not allowed to start singing until mid July. It takes a lot of vocal chord tension and it takes 2 months to fully heal.
  •  

Northern Jane

I was another one who was very much into singing as a child and was in a number of choirs and later a band before transition. My voice was fairly androgynous then so I never did any voice work at transition but years later I wondered if I could sing again. I got a copy of the spectrogram software (from Calpernia Addams site) and worked at taking some of the deeper resonances out of my voice. To my surprise, it was fairly easy to do with some practice and with more practice I was spanning two and a half octaves up into the soprano range (which I had never been able to do before). So YES, you CAN do it, with practice! (I haven't kept up my voice work but it was fun :( )
  •  

misschievous

That is awesome. I am worried when I go to yeson. I have the problem that I listen to music all the time, and end up singing along without even realizing it.
:icon_lips:

"Hands and Feet are all Alike, but Fear still Divides Us."

"Cry Freedom"
                                                                       DMB
  •  

Assoluta

Quote from: girl you look fierce on May 25, 2013, 06:34:35 PM
@jennygirl

Wow thank you, it means a lot to hear that from other people because hearing the timbre of my own voice makes me think I sound masculine even if maybe I do not...

@assoluta

Thanks, yes your voice seems to go both ways between andro and feminine, and that's so cool you extended your range so much! You sound really confident with your voice. I am really forcing myself to not try to hit high notes lately since I am really afraid I damaged my voice, I used to eek out notes up to like C or D6 with no proper technique, training, warmups or anything I guess because I wanted to feel feminine :( and I think I really overdid it a few times...

Also, do you think it's easier to sing in one language vs. another? Because I was thinking, I do think I have an easier time sounding feminine in like Japanese songs over English for some reason.

Yes, I think certain languages are easier to sing in - as certain vowels are easier to sing, and certain languages have certain vowel sounds which are more prevalent. I find "ee" sounds easy in head voice, but hard to "belt" whereas "a" is hard in head voice but easier to belt in chest or mixed. I find Japanese and Italian have the most defined vowel sounds and are easy to sing, English is somewhere in the middle, and languages like Korean are hard to sing because there are many "eul" "ol" and other 'closed' sounds.

One way to overcome this is to change your diction to sing words more easily - this is why singers sometimes pronounce words in strange ways, to sing it better, although it's also a reason why some singers' diction becomes too sloppy!

•  

Cosi555

not sure if this is helpful or not, but i found this while searching for something else on voice work and thought id put it in here in the hopes its useful to someone

http://www.aussievocalcoach.com/articles/highnotes.pdf
  •