Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Damien gets to walk in his black robe

Started by aleon515, May 31, 2013, 03:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aleon515

Yesterday there was a special graduation held at University of NM LBGT center for him. (He's the kid who the Catholic school he was going to would not like him walk in a black robe). It was such a cool event and he did a great job with his little speech even though he was nervous. I have seen him really grow as I started hearing about this story in April. I never have heard about  Kim Coco Iwamoto and she was pretty awesome too. It was amazing community experience.

http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico/albuquerque/transgender-teen-attends-special-graduation-ceremony/-/9153728/20369216/-/ujoc8s/-/index.html?

--Jay
  •  

Jamie D

Thank you for posting this.  I very much enjoyed the video news report.
  •  

aleon515

Nice when a something turns out so well, as it usually doesn't happen that way. For acting maturely and graceful under pressure, Damian gets noticed and I think has grown tremendously.

--Jay
  •  

DriftingCrow

Also related:

Chris Calderon-Perez, Ohio Transgender Teen, Gains Right To Wear Girl's Graduation Robe
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/03/ohio-transgender-graduation-robe-_n_3378931.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices
Author: Glennisha Morgan Source: Huffington Post

"Great news for Chris Calderon-Perez: the 17-year-old Fostoria High School student has won the right to wear a girl's graduation robe to her 2013 commencement ceremony. As the Columbus Dispatch reports, Calderon-Perez was initially told that she would would have to wear the male graduation attire -- a shirt and tie -- paired with a black robe as opposed to a red robe for women."

"This joyful situation happened almost a month after a New Mexico-based transgender student Damian Garcia was nixed by his school in regarding to walking during his graduation ceremony in the cap and gown designated for boys."

ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

aleon515

Thanks LH,

The cases are a bit different as Fostoria HS is a public school. If Damien had graduated from the public school in Albuquerque there would have been no issue. It also seems that the district/school in Ohio DID have a transgender policy, but didn't want to follow it. (Does this sound familiar?!)

--Jay
  •