Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

"What do you mean you are a woman?"

Started by Barbara Ann, June 05, 2007, 11:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbara Ann

My dear wife asked me that question; and I couldn't verbalize a good answer -- I just know, that's all! Another one she asked: "Why can't you match your mind to the body you already have?"
I came out to her a little over a week ago, and we have had a steady, good dialog. She asks something every day. I just can't put my words around the concept of being a woman; and my wife deserves an answer she can understand. She is trying hard to be supportive and loving; and I can see that she is trying to digest all the info and emotions of this. I wait for her to have a question, then I try to give her the best answer I can.
I'd love to hear your ideas and experiences with these type questions.
Tongue-tied Barb-
  •  

Lori

How does your wife know she is a woman? What makes her a woman? Its not the body is it? The sexual organs? There are plenty of FTM's that will say they are not women.

I never really bought into I'm a woman trapped in the body of a man. I just know the way I feel, I am not a guy. I've wanted to be a girl since I was 6 years old. I know my body is male, it just does not fit right. I need the body of a female.

One of the hardest problems I have had, is to explain what its like to have GID. People just cannot grasp the concept that my mind and body does not match. Its a compulsion like hunger. Eventually you will eat or die. And like hunger, it cannot be pushed aside. There is some prime evil portion of the brain I cannot control that drives me. I must feed it estrogen or suffer the consequences. The side effects are...feminization...I hope.
  •  

Barbara Ann

Yes, Lori, yes. I feel exactly the same way!! A compulsion. A "something's not right" that is elemental to my being.
Right on-
Barb
  •  

Keira

I think the, something's not right feeling is much closer to what most TS feel that anything else.
Its very strange feeling, impossible to really convey. The women in man's body never felt right to me as
a descriptive.

When I was 10, young boys (I was sigh one of them) talked about what they wanted out of life, etc.
They said, oh, we will get married, etc. I remember... I was impossible to me to even convey this mental
image!! I could not see myself being a male married to a woman, same thing with my fantasies, from the start I felt really weird of imagining me with a girl in sexual manner; I was always the girl!!!!

•  

Jonie

Quote from: Lori on June 05, 2007, 11:38:57 AM
How does your wife know she is a woman? What makes her a woman? Its not the body is it? The sexual organs? There are plenty of FTM's that will say they are not women.

I never really bought into I'm a woman trapped in the body of a man. I just know the way I feel, I am not a guy. I've wanted to be a girl since I was 6 years old. I know my body is male, it just does not fit right. I need the body of a female.

One of the hardest problems I have had, is to explain what its like to have GID. People just cannot grasp the concept that my mind and body does not match. Its a compulsion like hunger. Eventually you will eat or die. And like hunger, it cannot be pushed aside. There is some prime evil portion of the brain I cannot control that drives me. I must feed it estrogen or suffer the consequences. The side effects are...feminization...I hope.

I find that the mind and the brain are fundamentally different in the simple fact that the entire universe can fit inside your mind via it's imagination. As far as being GID I think it's got more to do with the physical structure of the brain's sexual center and whats between your legs being sexually opposite. It's as if your body has it's genitals and your brain has it's genitals and unless they are the same sex they don't hook up right. Where all the nerves connect from the genitals to the brain is called the strea terminalis and this is where your sexual identity can be determined.
  •  

Fiona

I don't think it's just about genitalia. When I was in my early twenties I was involved in amateur dramatics. In one scene I remember I had to kiss a woman; something I'd never done before. It was incredibly difficult not to want to stand on tiptoe and kind of push upwards and forwards with my chest, despite the fact that I was a few inches taller than her. Eventually we got it sorted (it was an important scene and we had a private rehearsal with just the director and a few others) but it never felt natural to stand flat on my feet and lean slightly over her.

I don't want to rekindle the whole nature versus nurture debate but I'm sure a lot more of human behaviour is instinctive than we would like to believe.
  •  

katia

i mean that my brain is female, like yours, but my body isn't.  capiche?
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: Lori on June 05, 2007, 11:38:57 AM

What can I add?  Lori has said it all. :)

tink :icon_chick:

•  

Renae.Lupini

Quote from: Barbara Ann on June 05, 2007, 11:18:44 AM
My dear wife asked me that question; and I couldn't verbalize a good answer -- I just know, that's all! Another one she asked: "Why can't you match your mind to the body you already have?"
I came out to her a little over a week ago, and we have had a steady, good dialog. She asks something every day. I just can't put my words around the concept of being a woman; and my wife deserves an answer she can understand. She is trying hard to be supportive and loving; and I can see that she is trying to digest all the info and emotions of this. I wait for her to have a question, then I try to give her the best answer I can.
I'd love to hear your ideas and experiences with these type questions.
Tongue-tied Barb-

How do we know who we are? What makes us feel that we are the gender opposite of the one assigned at birth? If we could answer these questions we would have a lot more acceptance and understanding amongst society. In the immortal words of Popeye the sailor, "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam." IMO, all your wife needs to know is how you feel about yourself and how you view yourself when you close your eyes. the sky is blue, the grass is green and we are transsexual. It is just the way it is. Most people don't like that answer and refuse to believer that it can be that simple.

You don't owe anybody, regardless of who they are, anything more than open and upfront honesty. elaborate detailed reasons for this, that, and everything else usually end up confusing everything with way to much information. Most of which may or may not even be true. don't feel guilty or shameful for being you. You have done nothing wrong by wanting live your life in peace. if anyone can't deal with that then it is their issue to deal with, not yours.

Let me give you some questions, that I got hit with when I dropped the T-bomb, to ponder.

How long have you known? Why didn't you tell me sooner? Are you gay? Who else knows? Don't you trust me? Has our whole relationship been a lie?

These are just a few of the little charming questions I got hit with. I went into self-preservation/denial mode and answered every question just the way I knew the person would want them answered. I spared their feelings in the hopes of "taking it slow" with the whole transition idea. Ultimately this was worse than just being honest with myself and telling her the truth instead of what she wanted to hear. what would have helped even more is if I would have faced the truth myself instead of playing ostrich with everything.

as much as I loved my ex-girlfriend, I put her through emotional hell. Every time she found out a little more it was as if it was another lie had been uncovered. It was very hard for us both because we had a great thing together but my own denial and willingness to compromise my very being brought it all to halt. This is how I learned the lesson having to love ourselves before we love someone else. Now that I have reached this point, telling the world who I am is no longer about keeping people at bay and content. Now it is all about being completely honest and speaking from the heart.

This my experience with the concept of coming out.

•  

Mattie

QuoteA compulsion. A "something's not right" that is elemental to my being.

Wow, that does hit the nail on the head.  That whole sense of something not being right.  Not necessarily trapped in the wrong body (it is my your body after all).  Still it begs the question how to admit it to others when I have trouble admitting it to myself.
  •  

Renae.Lupini

Quote from: Mattie on June 09, 2007, 12:09:15 AM
QuoteA compulsion. A "something's not right" that is elemental to my being.

Wow, that does hit the nail on the head.  That whole sense of something not being right.  Not necessarily trapped in the wrong body (it is my your body after all).  Still it begs the question how to admit it to others when I have trouble admitting it to myself.

That is the real question :)
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Barbara Ann on June 05, 2007, 11:18:44 AM
Ya, I remember that conversation.  She has a lot of learning to do.  The best you can do is point her to resources.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Mattie

If only it were so easy to match your mind to your body.  It would certainly make everything one is used to make sense again.  I can't change the way I am anymore than an earth worm can do integral calculus.  One day people will realize this.
  •  

Renae.Lupini

Quote from: Mattie on June 11, 2007, 09:01:51 PM
If only it were so easy to match your mind to your body.  It would certainly make everything one is used to make sense again.  I can't change the way I am anymore than an earth worm can do integral calculus.  One day people will realize this.

nice metaphor :)
  •  

Hypatia

Quote from: Keira on June 05, 2007, 04:30:15 PM
I think the, something's not right feeling is much closer to what most TS feel that anything else.
Its very strange feeling, impossible to really convey.
Exactly. Thank you. I spent most of my life thinking I was just weird. Wondering why I could never fit in anywhere. I used to speculate I was a mutant freak because when I was born they were still doing above-ground nuclear bomb tests.

The first time I joined a women's circle as the only t-girl, and was fully accepted by the others as a woman, the clarity finally came through--this is where I always needed to fit in. It fulfilled a deep longing I'd felt ever since early childhood, to join the girls, though I forbade myself from acknowledging it. No wonder I was such a misfit!

None of my stuff made any sense, except when viewed through the lens of transgender.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Hypatia

Quote from: Lori on June 05, 2007, 11:38:57 AMThere is some prime evil portion of the brain I cannot control that drives me.

Apologizing for correcting your spelling, which I usually never do (hey, I worked as a copy editor, so sue me)... but...

There is nothing necessarily "evil" about primeval which means 'of the earliest times'. From Latin primus 'first' and aevum 'era'.

I totally agree with everything else you said.  :)
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •