Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Bike/Tires Recommendations

Started by Constance, July 11, 2013, 11:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Constance

I love my Biria Citybike because it's really comfortable. But with only 6 speeds and me not being a strong hill climber, it's a limiting bike. Back when I had a road bike I was able to climb a lot better. I'm one of those riders for whom the equipment makes a huge difference.

I'm primarily a roadie, but I do like to do some light off-road riding sometimes as well. Would it be smarter to get a bike with two wheel sets, with the second set for those times when I do ride off-road? Or, would a compromise (hybrid/multipurpose) bike make more sense? I'm not the type of rider who's going to push either a road or a mountain bike to its limits.

Another option would to just choose a comfortable bike with good gearing and compromise on the tires, tires that would be primarily road tires but that would be acceptable for dirt roads.

Suggestions?

summer710

I know you posted this awhile ago, but since there were no responses...

If you haven't already answered your own question, maybe I can help.  What do you mean by 'light-off-roading".  Are you talking about gravel roads, fire trails, and single-track, or something like light mountain biking?  For things like gravel roads, fire trails, and single track - you could consider a cyclocross bike.  All the same geometries as a true road bike, but with wider stays to allow for beefier, knobby tires (up to 35c).  By nature, I"m a strict roadie, but I do like cyclocross in the rain and mud (as well as for gravel races).

I'm a fan of different bikes for different purposes, and don't switch tires/wheels for drastically different scenarios (i.e. don't use slicks on my 'cross bike - cross is for 'cross, the roadie is for the road).  So in short - if you can, I would recommend your city bike for "city things" and a second bike for "dirty things". 
You have suffered enough and warred with yourself - It's time that you won.
  •  

Constance

I've never done single track before. My off road riding has been dirt and gravel roads.

The problem with my city bike is that I find there are places in the cities around me that this bike just isn't up to handling, at least not with me piloting it.

The cyclocross bikes I've seen are truly impressive, and sometimes expensive too. But, as my bike is my car I guess getting a cyclocross for everyday use is similar to folks who buy SUVs because they need the extra power a few times a year.

Ms. OBrien CVT

I have an E-Zip Electric bike.  It is great for short trips or if you use mass transit.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

summer710

Not to offend the competitive 'cross crowd (and maybe they know it), but I think a cross bike could be the ULTIMATE commuter bike - wide drop-outs for moderate fatties/knobbies, options for disc brakes (though roadies now have them, too), many cross frames allow fender attachments...seriously, what's not to love???  And heck, if you don't like the drop bars, just switch them out to flat-bars (which some road bikes are spec'd with, such as Specialized).

How long have you been using your bike?  Handling really shouldn't be an issue - I'm just as comfortable cornering at 25 mph completely swarmed, with cyclists 12 inches to my left and to my right and a third cyclist 6 inches in front of me (and who knows how many directly behind me), as with maneuvering my bike at 2 mph.

Alot of bike companies make bikes specifically suited to commuting/city use/non-racer recreational use, with frame geometries and components that are appropriate.  I like Specialized in that regard.  Giant is also pretty good (and actually better, since they are more reasonably priced).  You could check out bikeforums.net and look in the commuting section. 

Hope this helps.
- S
You have suffered enough and warred with yourself - It's time that you won.
  •  

vegie271

I saw this a while ago and I did not answer because I just have a mountain bike and not that much experience. I simply use what I have and added regular tires because I stay in the city, we do not have gravel roads only sand and stuff ON the roads (and bad roads)

•  

Constance

Handling isn't an issue. The issue is the fact that the bike has only 6 speeds and I need more than that for hill climbing. In the past, I've had bikes with great gear ranges but they weren't quite the right size so they were uncomfortable. Now I know: get the right size AND the right gearing.

Kia

I just got a used Diamondback Outlook with hybrid tires. It's a mountain bike but it's quite good for roads and it can climb all the hills around my part of town. I haven't had a chance to take it of road yet but I was assured it's capable.
  •  

vegie271

Quote from: Kia on August 14, 2013, 06:51:05 PM
I just got a used Diamondback Outlook with hybrid tires. It's a mountain bike but it's quite good for roads and it can climb all the hills around my part of town. I haven't had a chance to take it of road yet but I was assured it's capable.

I just put street tires on my mountain bike - they gave me a great deal on what had been bought and returned by someone - $20 for both with tubes couldn't pass it up (specially  since I am in town only) and we are hilly

•