Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Moving Posts on a subforum

Started by aleon515, July 12, 2013, 11:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aleon515

Hi,

I'm often on the FTM forum, and I have noticed that lately a LOT of stuff regarding T or top surgery gets moved. The moving seems obvious to the people who move it, but I don't think maybe as much to some of the people on the forum, because sometimes after really active discussion, it gets moved and then nobody else responds.

The stuff gets moved to HRT. Well HRT may seem really obvious to gals, but I don't think think most guys think of it as HRT. I don't. I suppose if I think of it, but I have actually heard CHT (cross hormone treatment) more than HRT in really serious discussions. But mostly guys just say they are going on T.

The other thing is that I think the top surgery stuff goes to SRS, but again, I think most guys refer to it as top surgery. I think a lot of guys don't think of it as SRS because they think of bottom surgery that way.

Anyway what bothers me is that these things get moved and then they die. I am sure the reasons for them getting moved are good, but I don't think that the participants on the forum are really as down with it.
Can't speak for all participants. But I do see discussions just kind of end. And I see threads on T or top surgery just not go anywhere on these smaller forums.

--Jay
  •  

Devlyn

I believe you are referring to a recent cleanup and organization by JamieD. Things are moved to the proper categories to keep the forums organized and easy to navigate. Perhaps a T subforum and Top Surgery subforum should be created. Thanks for the input, hugs, Devlyn
  •  

aleon515

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on July 12, 2013, 12:23:46 PM
I believe you are referring to a recent cleanup and organization by JamieD. Things are moved to the proper categories to keep the forums organized and easy to navigate. Perhaps a T subforum and Top Surgery subforum should be created. Thanks for the input, hugs, Devlyn

Yeah that's right. It might make sense to others, but I think if you look at it by how much the threads get discussed, you would see it doesn't really work.I think that would be a better move, Devlyn to create "child forums for top surgery and T" and call them "T" and "top surgery". Not saying that everybody would be using them, but I am pretty sure discussion would go on there.  I think that moving them to SRS and HRT is where the threads go to die. No one reads them. I think

--Jay
  •  

Devlyn

Consider it under advisement. I'll return with an answer. (Or no head)
  •  

AdamMLP

I also agree with this.  I'm a lazy being, and I often don't stray out of the FTM boards, or far from them, because a lot of the other subforums, like SRS and HRT, seem to be girl territory, and although I know there's no rules on who can go where, I feel like I should be giving them privacy on their personal problems.  It's not like I know anything which I can input on most of them.  (I'm not saying that I don't like it when women comment on the FTM forum, I quite like having people sharing their experiences from the other side of the fence, just that I'm personally not comfortable and feel like an intruder.)

And also because of the huge difference in numbers between women and men on here I think our posts would get swallowed up pretty quickly in a shared forum.
  •  

Jamie D

I will be glad to answer this.  The two most popular boards on the site are Mtf Talk and Ftm Talk.  You need only look at the number of pages found on these forum.  Or the number of new posts made to these boards in a week.

Part of the way the site is set up is so that topics can be easily located and researched.  Suppose I was new to the site and I wanted to research "testosterone pellet implants."  Where might I look?

I suppose I could look through over 400 pages of posts on the FtM Talk forum.  Or I could look in the forum dedicated to HRT:  "If you are interested in information about HRT or are currently on HRT and wish to discuss the issues we face, this forum is for you."  Not "boy territory," not "girl territory" - transgender territory.

I understand that the original poster wants to get as wide an audience for their topic as possible.  Typically, I don't move posts off of the MtF or FtM talk boards until they have rolled of the front page, and then for archival purposes.  When topics do roll of the front page or two in the FtM or Mtf Talk forums, they are usually dead and lost forever.

It sometimes happen too, that a post is made on one board that has implications for all of our members, such as what is needed to a name change or gender marker change.  Hence, moving over to Legal Matters:  "To discuss the legal side of transition, including changing name and gender markers on legal documents."

The other forums exist for a reason.  It is to improve the utility of the site.  So in managing the "usability" of the site, I try to take into account the needs of the original poster with the needs of future members or visitors here.

I usually leave a notice of the locations change (called a "redirect") up for a few days, until I see the OP has posted again in the topic.  Furthermore, you can always find a moved post of yours by checking your post listing in your forum profile.  If a topic gets deleted, as sometimes happens, then you might not get a notice.

I hope this helps.

I am open to suggestions on ways to improve the management of the site.  And keep in mind, we have staff openings for anyone who wishes to tackle these logistical challenges.

•  

Jamie D

And just another point.  The SRS board has two dedicated child boards - FtM top surgery and FtM bottom surgery.  I think the purpose of these boards are self-evident.
  •  

Devlyn

But the guys don't call it SRS.
  •  

Adam (birkin)

just have to say I agree. I found the HRT and SRS forums are so inundated with MTF stuff that I put them on my "ignore" list because they're just not relevant to me and I can't offer any advice or knowledge. I always stick to the FTM board as well when I want to post, or read, anything FTM related.
  •  

Daniel006

I understand the mods' reasoning for needing to keep the posts organized for future users.  In the interest of both organization and visibility, I offer the following suggestions:

1.  Move the Top Surgery child board from being under the SRS child board to under the FTM board, like the FTM Gear board.  You cannot see the FTM top and bottom surgery boards unless you are already in the SRS subforum, and, as many guys don't think of top surgery as SRS, I feel it would see a lot more traffic under the FTM board.

2.  Create a testosterone child board under the FTM child board.  Due to the women vastly outnumbering the men here on Susan's, it is difficult to find testosterone related posts in the HRT sub forum.  This would make it easier to locate any posts specifically related to testosterone.

I hope my suggestions can be taken to heart, although I understand if they are not used as well.

Edit to add info to first suggestion.

•  

aleon515

Quote from: Daniel006 on July 12, 2013, 11:11:57 PM
I understand the mods' reasoning for needing to keep the posts organized for future users.  In the interest of both organization and visibility, I offer the following suggestions:

1.  Move the Top Surgery child board from being under the SRS child board to under the FTM board, like the FTM Gear board.  You cannot see the FTM top and bottom surgery boards unless you are already in the SRS subforum, and, as many guys don't think of top surgery as SRS, I feel it would see a lot more traffic under the FTM board.

2.  Create a testosterone child board under the FTM child board.  Due to the women vastly outnumbering the men here on Susan's, it is difficult to find testosterone related posts in the HRT sub forum.  This would make it easier to locate any posts specifically related to testosterone.

I hope my suggestions can be taken to heart, although I understand if they are not used as well.

Edit to add info to first suggestion.

Thanks folks for coming on over here. I see what's going on. I understand, though I am not exactly sure if you want to research a topic you are going to do that well on a forum. I have used "search" sometimes.
Thanks Daniel, exactly what I had in mind. Making "child forums" out of the topics "T" and "Top surgery".
I know that there was no actual intention to make them "girl territory". In actual fact the number of posts makes it hard to find articles re: guys issues. The other thing is like I said, that I don't hear guys talking about HRT and top surgery as SRS. I have seen top surgery there, but more when I was just lurking around.

--Jay
  •  

Nygeel

Could it be possible to switch things up and have sub forums for surgery and hormones in the FTM section, and subforums in the MTF section?

This way if one were looking for estrogen/spiro/finastride information they could look in the MTF section under the HRT subforum. If they're looking for FTM top surgery answers, they could look in the FTM section under the subforum for surgery.
  •  

Jamie D

These ideas are all under consideration.

BTW there are well over 9,000 topics on the FTM Talk board, not counting nearly 1,000 in FtM Gear.  It is plainly evident how topics can get buried on that board.

I moved 5 topics recently.  That's approximately 0.06% of the topics.  Which is not "a lot" by any stretch of the imagination.
  •  

aleon515

Quote from: Jamie D on July 13, 2013, 12:17:47 PM
These ideas are all under consideration.

BTW there are well over 9,000 topics on the FTM Talk board, not counting nearly 1,000 in FtM Gear.  It is plainly evident how topics can get buried on that board.

I moved 5 topics recently.  That's approximately 0.06% of the topics.  Which is not "a lot" by any stretch of the imagination.

Well no but I was seeing a trend maybe. As this has started more lately. And btw, I'm not attacking YOU. I just feel that they could be moved and then buried that way. We want people to READ and RESPOND to them after all. I like the ideas that people have brought out, about keeping them under the FTM forum much like the FTM gear is. You see with that that people ARE responding to the FTM gear section. I think people know what it is. Unlike the HRT or SRS section where as I said I don't think everybody looks there.

--Jay
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: Nygeel on July 13, 2013, 01:08:23 AM
Could it be possible to switch things up and have sub forums for surgery and hormones in the FTM section, and subforums in the MTF section?

This way if one were looking for estrogen/spiro/finastride information they could look in the MTF section under the HRT subforum. If they're looking for FTM top surgery answers, they could look in the FTM section under the subforum for surgery.

This makes a LOT of sense. Surgeries and hormones directly (and exclusively) related to MtF-->in the MtF forum, and those directly (and exclusively) related to FtM-->in the FtM forum.

...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

aleon515

Quote from: Beth Andrea on July 13, 2013, 12:56:59 PM
This makes a LOT of sense. Surgeries and hormones directly (and exclusively) related to MtF-->in the MtF forum, and those directly (and exclusively) related to FtM-->in the FtM forum.

Cheers! Good idea!!

--Jay
  •  

AdamMLP

I know I've already posted here, but I just wanted to back up the suggestion of having child boards in both the FTM and MTF forums making more sense.  I don't think I looked in the SRS section more than once when I started coming on here, and I don't think I ever looked at the HRT one.  I'm not sure I know where it is to this day and I've been here over two years.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Beth Andrea on July 13, 2013, 12:56:59 PM

Yep. That builds a LOT of sense of community and camaraderie.  Nothing like separate playboxes to encourage understanding.  Let's set aside a little dirt pile for the non-binaries.  How about two separate sites?  I mean, we don't have a common cause, do we?
  •  

Renee

Quote from: Jamie D on July 13, 2013, 08:33:18 PM
Yep. That builds a LOT of sense of community and camaraderie.  Nothing like separate playboxes to encourage understanding.  Let's set aside a little dirt pile for the non-binaries.  How about two separate sites?  I mean, we don't have a common cause, do we?
I know where you are coming from, but the suggestion is simply for them to find threads relating to their issues a bit easier than hunting through all the other topics not even related to ftm except for being under the same umbrella. I don't think anyone is saying that we don't have a common cause, just different questions, needs and issues.

•  

aleon515

Quote from: jrd on July 13, 2013, 08:43:20 PM
I know where you are coming from, but the suggestion is simply for them to find threads relating to their issues a bit easier than hunting through all the other topics not even related to ftm except for being under the same umbrella. I don't think anyone is saying that we don't have a common cause, just different questions, needs and issues.

But we have common sites-- no one is suggesting getting rid of "transgender" or news forums or general forums. If you want you can name your forums differently. I don't think that the guys (for the most part) are actually reading the SRS and HRT ones though. I think some is that we might feel surrounded and the other is, as Alex said, feeling like you are intruding.

BTW, we do have non-binary folks who post in the FTM group. I think it's meant to be "trans-masculine".

Mirroring stuff that happens in the trans community IRL, we have a large group and a MTF and FTM group. We have a lot of stuff that's in common (and quite a number of non-binary folks). I don't know what's discussed in the MTF group. But in our FTM group we talk a lot about top surgery, T, and so on. BTW, we get a LOT of non-binary folks.

--Jay
  •