Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Travelling to foreign country when my appearance doesn't match passport

Started by abbyt89, July 21, 2013, 10:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abbyt89

My passport picture was taken about 5 years ago and I am flying to Korea in 3 weeks to undergo voice surgery. My name change paperwork is being processed and I won't have my name changed or new identification before I leave.

I'm worried that I will have issues at customs in Korea due to how different I look now. I'm okay with presenting in boy-mode when flying but my boy mode is failing more and more lately.

Does anyone have any experience travelling with male identification when the male identification didn't really work for you anymore?
  •  

Evolving Beauty

This is the biggest >-bleeped-<tiest problem of mine too. At least your country will change your legal papers. In my country, I can never change my name to a female name, worse remain male gender forever on my passport. The best I could do just is change my National ID card picture. They refused to issue me a new passport in with female picture as they say my passport is still valid and I needed to wait it to expire to do that.

I can't express the pain and embarassment I have to undergo when checking-in International hotels and when I go receive a package at Post Office, banks etc... Many times they said I'm not that person, and also told me 'HE NEEDS TO COME IN PERSON' thinking I am not 'that' person and the only way I could prove is show my country's National ID card to match up, at least on that I look what I really am now but the sex and stupid male name remains, so f**** annoying. I wanna just migrate in a new country with decent laws for transsexuals and may all people of my country and their stupid laws go to hell! Arghhhh  >:(
  •  

Jennygirl

Abby I've never had a problem

Rowan recently asked me about this, too. TSA and customs are trained to know how to address transgendered people. They are trained to address you by the gender you present as.

Like I said, I've never had a problem... maybe a few double take glances followed by a smile and a nod. And I never once considered it a bad reaction.

I wouldn't worry about it at all!
  •  

Tessa James

Abby, I found, when traveling recently in the US, that I did get extra scrutiny.  As Jenny notes the TSA people are trained about TG and were very professional.  When my metal bra clips showed on the imaging screen and my IDs and pictures all said MALE they informed me I would need a pat down.  They then informed me I could ask for a private room and a female to do so.
I am new enough in transition that my IDs and name are in flux.  I did get a new drivers license picture and that has really helped when cashing checks etc.  The name and gender markers are a more complex process however and with one issue at a time, we can work this identity maze out.  My passport still works here but I too might be apprehensive about a foreign country and that is on my big list to address.  Good luck and remember to wear fresh undies;-)
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

abbyt89

Thanks guys! I was having a mini panic attack when I dug out my Passport and realized that I really look nothing like the picture anymore! I'm really worried that I'll get all the way to Korea and then be refused entry due to my passport.

I forgot Susans had a wiki and there is a section about identification when travelling. It recommends carrying a note from your doctor explaining your transition so I think I'll grab one from her (and my therapist just in case!) and keep it with me.
  •  

abbyt89

Quote from: Evolving Beauty on July 21, 2013, 10:29:15 AM
This is the biggest >-bleeped-<tiest problem of mine too. At least your country will change your legal papers. In my country, I can never change my name to a female name, worse remain male gender forever on my passport. The best I could do just is change my National ID card picture. They refused to issue me a new passport in with female picture as they say my passport is still valid and I needed to wait it to expire to do that.

I can't express the pain and embarassment I have to undergo when checking-in International hotels and when I go receive a package at Post Office, banks etc... Many times they said I'm not that person, and also told me 'HE NEEDS TO COME IN PERSON' thinking I am not 'that' person and the only way I could prove is show my country's National ID card to match up, at least on that I look what I really am now but the sex and stupid male name remains, so f**** annoying. I wanna just migrate in a new country with decent laws for transsexuals and may all people of my country and their stupid laws go to hell! Arghhhh  >:(

I am so sorry that you are unable to change your name in your country. I can't imagine how terrible that must be for you. I know it's difficult in most situations to emigrate somewhere but I really hope you find a way to get new identification.
  •  

Tessa James

Oh the doctor's note is a great idea and I did the same thing when traveling but never had to show it.
Have fun out and about.
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

abbyt89

Quote from: Tessa James on July 21, 2013, 11:43:49 AM
Oh the doctor's note is a great idea and I did the same thing when traveling but never had to show it.
Have fun out and about.

Thanks, I'm so excited for my trip!

It really will be the first time I go out extensively in public because what better place to start presenting then a foreign country where you don't know anybody, the culture is completely different, and you couldn't be clocked by your voice if you tried since you can't speak!
  •  

Tessa James

Quote from: abbyt89 on July 21, 2013, 11:49:39 AM

It really will be the first time I go out extensively in public because what better place to start presenting then a foreign country where you don't know anybody, the culture is completely different, and you couldn't be clocked by your voice if you tried since you can't speak!

LOL so true!  Just give em your best smile!
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: abbyt89 on July 21, 2013, 11:49:39 AM

It's true. And also, it is easier to pass with people that are of a different nationality.

And also I should've added, my passport is relatively new (almost a year old). My hair was already pretty long in it and it's easy to see the resemblance. Maybe that is why I've had such an easy time.

The doctor's note is a great idea. Also, you can probably have Jessie at Yeson write you a letter in Korean that you could show to customs upon arrival in Seoul. The Seoul customs did not seem nearly as intense as U.S. customs. At least the person I had was very kind and nice.

I really do feel like it's whatever they initially profile you as a threat or not. The past couple of times I have traveled through airports I've of course dressed super girly in summery dresses and an easygoing happy attitude (I love to travel). I think that helps a ton when they can just sense that there's no reason to consider you a threat just by your looks alone.

Smile with the TSA staff, smile with customs, they will smile back at you.

The most fun part for you, Abby, will be coming back from Korea. If you get the laryngal botox injection for vocal tremor, you won't be able to talk for another week- meaning you won't be able to talk entering us customs on the way back. Prepare a note for that occasion, too. Even if you can talk at all it will only be a few words per day at that point.

I was with a friend when I came back through, and she went through first and got away from me and started walking away. I hand't prepared a note or anything and the guy started asking me questions... I couldn't answer him, lol. I started snapping my fingers, clapping, and doing a little dance until my friend finally ran back to speak for me. The guy at customs was like WTH is this girl's problem. It was funny in the end.
  •  

Donna Elvira

Hi. I recently travelled to Canada and the US from Europe. I had no problem whatsoever, just getting patted down once along my back following a full body scan which must have revealed my bra.
Gender is still marked "M" but I travelled out in female attire and the photo on my passport is of me as I am now, very different to 8 years ago before HRT and FFS. I think that is actually the most important thing and if your photo is significantly different to how you presently look, I would strongly advise having your doctor's letter on hand.
Wishing you the best of luck.
Donna

•  

abbyt89

So I didn't realize that there were companies out there that can do rush processing of expedited passport applications. So I bit the bullet and decided to get a new passport now even though in about a month I'll have to get it renewed again due to the name change.

Speaking of which I dropped off my name change paperwork at the court today! Of course in my little county the lady processing my paperwork knew my family but she was super sweet about everything. I'm so excited to be officially and legally known as Abby!

Quote from: Jennygirl on July 21, 2013, 12:22:50 PM
It's true. And also, it is easier to pass with people that are of a different nationality.

And also I should've added, my passport is relatively new (almost a year old). My hair was already pretty long in it and it's easy to see the resemblance. Maybe that is why I've had such an easy time.

The doctor's note is a great idea. Also, you can probably have Jessie at Yeson write you a letter in Korean that you could show to customs upon arrival in Seoul. The Seoul customs did not seem nearly as intense as U.S. customs. At least the person I had was very kind and nice.

I really do feel like it's whatever they initially profile you as a threat or not. The past couple of times I have traveled through airports I've of course dressed super girly in summery dresses and an easygoing happy attitude (I love to travel). I think that helps a ton when they can just sense that there's no reason to consider you a threat just by your looks alone.

Smile with the TSA staff, smile with customs, they will smile back at you.

The most fun part for you, Abby, will be coming back from Korea. If you get the laryngal botox injection for vocal tremor, you won't be able to talk for another week- meaning you won't be able to talk entering us customs on the way back. Prepare a note for that occasion, too. Even if you can talk at all it will only be a few words per day at that point.

I was with a friend when I came back through, and she went through first and got away from me and started walking away. I hand't prepared a note or anything and the guy started asking me questions... I couldn't answer him, lol. I started snapping my fingers, clapping, and doing a little dance until my friend finally ran back to speak for me. The guy at customs was like WTH is this girl's problem. It was funny in the end.

Hahaha I'm sure I'm going to get pretty good with hand gestures by the time I'm done recovering. I'll make sure I keep a letter with me. Speaking of which, did Jessie give you something in Korean you could carry around to explain that you can't talk?
  •