Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

another languarge question

Started by Natkat, July 21, 2013, 05:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natkat

Not sure if I asked it before but
if you had the power to learn between 1-3 languarge fluent without any efford at all, which would you choose and why?

for me it would be:

1. Japanese;
Because it so difficult to learn, and I could use it for reading manga or working with japanese turism.

2. arabic
cause I live in a area with alot of people from the middle east and somethimes I wish I understood more of what there talking about,

3. tyrkish/spanish.
cause spanish is a good languarge to know, or tyrkisk cause it sound so dam sexy and then I would know the lyrics of the tyrkish music I hear.

•  

Tessa James

1. Spanish, to better communicate with and understand the growing hispanic population in the USA
2. Vietnamese, to revisit the country I helped ravage with warfare and politely ask for their forgiveness
3. French, because it does sound so very romantic when whispered in my ears
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Beth Andrea

1. German, because es ist zehr cool;

2. Spanish, because that is rapidly becoming the de facto second primary language of the US;

3. Lichtensteinien, because that is the country I'd give my left nut (after SRS  ;) ) in order to emigrate there, due to the barbarian hordes we're getting here in the US. (Und ja, ich kenne die sprechen Deutsche)
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

LordKAT

Spanish, many in US speak Spanish.

German, land of my ancestors.

Japanese, business purposes or Chinese, many people use it increasing the number of people I can understand.
  •  

Natkat

Quote from: Beth Andrea on July 21, 2013, 05:52:03 PM
1. German, because es ist zehr cool;

2. Spanish, because that is rapidly becoming the de facto second primary language of the US;

3. Lichtensteinien, because that is the country I'd give my left nut (after SRS  ;) ) in order to emigrate there, due to the barbarian hordes we're getting here in the US. (Und ja, ich kenne die sprechen Deutsche)

whats a horde?
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

1. Spanish - Many people in America speak it now.

2. Thai - Just in case I go to Thailand for SRS

3. French - So that when I go to Canada I can speak with some of the people North.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

LordKAT

horde, often viewed an an angry army
  •  

DriftingCrow

1. Arabic (any dialect)-- because it sounds beautiful and I find the cultures in Middle Eastern countries fascinating, and I love the foods.

2. Punjabi -- I know a lot of Punjabis from Pakistan and India, it sounds cool, and the script is so alien-looking.

3. Brazilian Portuguese -- because I have all three levels of Pimsleur and it would be a waste if I didn't finish them. Also, Brazil looks beautiful and I'd love to visit. I live in an area where there's a ton of people from the Azores, and while they speak Iberdian Portuguese, it's similar enough where there's not much of a difference (it's like British English versus American English), so it'd be cool to speak with my Portuguese neighbor in her language and my sister's father-in-law in his own.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Shantel

English, because I speak American which is a bastardized version of English

Espanol because of all the hispanics moving into the US.

Mandarin Chinese so I can be prepared when they send the repo man to collect on the US debt
and take the country we used as collateral.
  •  

Lex

German- It's the only language my ancestors spoke that I haven't learned yet.
Russian- There's just something I love about this language, it's almost harsh and soft at tha same time.
French- For the ladies lol I really like the fluidity of this language.
  •  

Sara Thomas

Heck... If I could speak at all that'd be a good start - but between my accent and recalcitrant tongue, I'm not much gifted in the speaking way...  :)

But... I'd say:

1) Spanish (for reasons listed above)
2) German (having been born there, I am told that I was quite proficient in it... up until moving Stateside - but I have little recollection of it)
3) Hmmmm... I dunno.
I ain't scared... I just don't want to mess up my hair.
  •  

shadowcat

Let's see, fluency in German wouldn't take me too much more effort. I really just need to live there for a year or so. So I'll skip that one for the purpose of this thread.

So, I'd go with:

Japanese - it's awesome, and I'm an anime/manga/video game buff. While I took a year of Japanese, it was only a year and I forgot a lot of it. So I'd totally be down for the free fluency on this one.

Chinese - it's a tonal language and highly advantageous right now.

Basque - because it's a language isolate. Not much use in most places, but it would be epic to know~

And if I could cheat and have a fourth, I'd take one of the African languages that use a lot of clicks (can't remember what any of them are called off the top of my head) Exceedingly hard to learn if you don't grow up using it, so again, I'd take this one for sheer awesomeness.
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Spanish - It's more useful to know how to speak it in the U.S. as several people pointed out

Thai - I'm Thai and have have a lot of relatives who speak Thai. Would be very useful to me.

Japanese - It sounds cool! :D
  •  

dylanjakoby

German- i speak some of it but i would love to be fluent in it i think it is beautiful and i would love to live in germany

italian- its just a lovely language

Greek- i have an obsession with Greece.
  •  

MadeleineG

Mandarin, not just for its utility, but because it's a tonal language, which opens up a whole category of punning and word play impossible in English.

Korean or Finnish because they're highly agglutinative and, thus, have a very robust, descriptive semantics.

Proto-Indoeuropean because I'd like to separate the good paleolinguistics from the crud.

Maddy
  •  

shadowcat

Quote from: MadeleineG on July 28, 2013, 09:18:04 PM
Mandarin, not just for its utility, but because it's a tonal language, which opens up a whole category of punning and word play impossible in English.

Korean or Finnish because they're highly agglutinative and, thus, have a very robust, descriptive semantics.

Proto-Indoeuropean because I'd like to separate the good paleolinguistics from the crud.

Maddy

Oh hey, another linguist. Brilliant choice on Proto-Indoeuropean!  I should have thought of that, but I guess I was only thinking currently spoken languages. Once you learn it tho and I have Basque, we should compare them to see if we can learn anything more definite regarding its ancestry~
  •  

AdamMLP

1- Icelandic, because I'm fascinated with the country, culture and history of the place and would love to be able to read the sagas, as well as communicate easily with the people there (and because I'd stop confusing "opið alla daga", which means "open every day" for "open all day" and go to the shops when they're actually open.)

2- Swahili, because pretty much the only thing on my bucket list is to spend an extended amount of time in Tanzania one day.  It's something I feel I need to do to for personal reasons.

3- Latin, because I regret ditching those lessons when I was going through a rough week and quitting everything, and so much of our current languages stems from that.
  •  

MadeleineG

Quote from: shadowcat on July 29, 2013, 09:57:59 AM
Oh hey, another linguist.

Always a pleasure! :D

Quote from: shadowcat on July 29, 2013, 09:57:59 AM
Brilliant choice on Proto-Indoeuropean!  I should have thought of that, but I guess I was only thinking currently spoken languages. Once you learn it tho and I have Basque, we should compare them to see if we can learn anything more definite regarding its ancestry~

Thank you. As for basque, my best guess is that it's of extraterrestrial origin. :icon_weirdface:

Maddy
  •  

SaveMeJeebus

Japanese, Italian, and Greek,  just as i am interested ???
  •  

Natkat

Quote from: LordKAT on July 21, 2013, 06:40:17 PM
horde, often viewed an an angry army
ah okay thanks

So, I'd go with:

Japanese - it's awesome, and I'm an anime/manga/video game buff. While I took a year of Japanese, it was only a year and I forgot a lot of it. So I'd totally be down for the free fluency on this one.
[/quote]

I feel you, have studied japanese for years and been there but I have forgot so much since I quit.

•