Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Ask the Doc: Transgender Health, Hormones and HIV

Started by Amelia Pond, August 06, 2013, 07:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelia Pond

Ask the Doc: Transgender Health, Hormones and HIV
Anita Radix, Aug 6, 2013

http://www.edgeonthenet.com/index.php?ch=health_fitness&sc=hiv_aids&sc2=features&sc3=&id=147843

Q: I am 23 years old and recently came out as a transgender man. I've been in therapy for a while and now want to start hormones (testosterone) but I am not sure how to choose a doctor. Do I need to see an endocrinologist? What should I expect at the visit?

A: You will want to look for a provider (usually either a primary care provider or endocrinologist) who has experience working with transgender clients. If you live in a large metropolitan area, you can visit an LGBT health center e.g., Callen-Lorde Community Health Center in New York, Fenway Health in Boston or Howard Brown Health Center in Chicago. You can also search the provider directories on WPATH.org (World Professional Association for Transgender Health) or GLMA.org (Gay and Lesbian Medical Association) to find a provider close to you with experience in transition care.
  •