Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Strange magic

Started by Jamie D, August 28, 2013, 06:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitterfly

did you know the hexadecimal numbers FAE and FADE make a prime when you add 1 and BEAD when you add 4 and FEED when you add 6 and DEED when you substract 10?
  •  

Jamie D

I can honestly say that I had no idea!  Now I am going to have to investigate.
  •  

Glitterfly

Oh and when it comes to the additions and substractions above... 1*4+6=10 xD *giggle* Hey, that was fun!
  •  

Danielle Emmalee

JAMIED in base 36 is a prime....coincidence I think not....
Discord, I'm howlin' at the moon
And sleepin' in the middle of a summer afternoon
Discord, whatever did we do
To make you take our world away?

Discord, are we your prey alone,
Or are we just a stepping stone for taking back the throne?
Discord, we won't take it anymore
So take your tyranny away!
  •  

Glitterfly

Quote from: Alice Danielle on September 03, 2013, 02:45:29 AM

hey that's really cool :D well done~!
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Glitterfly on September 03, 2013, 02:35:35 AM
Oh and when it comes to the additions and substractions above... 1*4+6=10 xD *giggle* Hey, that was fun!

You know, that works both ways!

(1*4) + 6 = 10
1 * (4+6) = 10

And I am bigendered and bisexual.

Strange magic, indeed!
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Alice Danielle on September 03, 2013, 02:45:29 AM

I am not aware of anything in base 36.

I know the Australians here excel at base 12, but that is because they learned to count on their toes.  :o

•  

Danielle Emmalee

Quote from: Jamie D on September 03, 2013, 05:53:52 PM
I am not aware of anything in base 36.

I know the Australians here excel at base 12, but that is because they learned to count on their toes.  :o

From wikipedia

Uses in practice

The Remote Imaging Protocol for bulletin board systems used base 36 notation for transmitting coordinates in a compact form.

Many URL redirection systems like TinyURL or SnipURL/Snipr also use base 36 integers as compact alphanumeric identifiers.

Geohash-36, a coordinate encoding algorithm uses radix 36 but uses a mixture of lowercase and uppercase alphabet characters in order to avoid vowels, vowel-looking numbers, and other character confusion.

Various systems such as RickDate use base 36 as a compact representation of Gregorian dates in file names, using one digit each for the day and the month.

Dell uses a 5 or 7 digit base 36 number (Service Tag) as a compact version of their Express Service Codes.

The software package SalesLogix uses base 36 as part of its database identifiers.[2]

The TreasuryDirect website, which allows individuals to buy and redeem securities directly from the U.S. Department of the Treasury in paperless electronic form, serializes security purchases in an account using a 4 digit base 36 number. However, the Latin letters A–Z are used before the Arabic numerals 0–9, so that the purchases are listed as AAAA, AAAB... AAAZ, AAA0, AAA1... AAA9, AABA...

The E-mail client program PMMail encodes the UNIX time of the email's arrival and uses this for the first six characters of the message's filename.

MediaWiki stores uploaded files in directories with names derived from the base-36 representation of an uploaded file's checksum.[3]

Siteswap, a type of juggling notation, frequently employs 0–9 and a–z to signify the dwell time of a toss (which may roughly be thought of as the height of the throw). Throws higher than 'z' may be made but no notation has widespread acceptance for these throws.

In SEDOL securities identifiers, the check digit is computed from a weighted sum of the first six characters, each character interpreted in base-36.

In the International Securities Identification Number (ISIN), the check digit is computed by first taking the value of each character in base-36, concatenating the numbers together, then doing a weighted sum.

>-bleeped-< uses base-36 for identifying posts and comments.

•  

Jamie D

Ah ha!  Prime information, if I do say so myself.
  •  

Glitterfly

Quote from: Jamie D on September 03, 2013, 05:53:52 PM

So Aussies have 6 or 7 toes on their feet? xD
  •  

Danielle Emmalee

Quote from: Glitterfly on September 03, 2013, 07:15:13 PM
So Aussies have 6 or 7 toes on their feet? xD

Oh wow, I didn't even notice the number of toes until you posted that.  I obviously didn't read Jamie's post all that well, I missed the 12.

•  

Glitterfly

Quote from: Alice Danielle on September 03, 2013, 07:16:40 PM
Oh wow, I didn't even notice the number of toes until you posted that.  I obviously didn't read Jamie's post all that well, I missed the 12.

I just noticed it and was like... 'huh?' xD
  •  

Jamie D

•  

Danielle Emmalee

I guess there's no better place to use my 900th post.
900 in base 5 is 12100, in base 9 it is 1210 and in base 30 it is 100.
It is a harshad number (explained in one of my previous posts here)
Its factorization is the first 3 primes repeated (2,2,3,3,5,5)
It is a Regular number (meaning it is a divisor of a power of 60, 602/900 = 4
It is also a cube (30*30, which explains why it is 100 in base 30)

That is all for now

•  

Danielle Emmalee

Quote from: Jamie D on September 06, 2013, 01:28:48 AM

Never thought of it like this.  Makes sense since pi*diameter = circumference. cool gif

•  

LordKAT

actually that one depends on diameter and won;t work for every circle.
  •  

Danielle Emmalee

Who said it does? lol.  It not only doesn't work for every circle, it only works for this exact circle.  With a circle of a diameter of 2 it would end up pointing out 2*pi.  With a circle of diameter 1/pi it would point out 1.  Its still cool

•  

Jamie D

Conceptually, the diameter of a circle is always 1, if you are not using specific units of measurement.  It is the longest chord of a circle, always passes through the center point, and is always twice the radius.

It matters not how large or small the size of the circle.  The relationship is that pi is always 3.14159 ... times the diameter.
  •  

Jamie D

The rational and the irrational

Speaking of pi, it is the most well known, I believe of the irrational numbers.

A rational number, as we know, is any number that can be expressed as the quotient a/b of two integers, with the denominator b not equal to zero.  (That zero thingie is important!)

Rational and irrational numbers are real numbers.  Real numbers include integers and fractions (examples of rational numbers), as well as irrational algebraic numbers (such as √2) or a transcendental numbers (such as pi or e [Euler's number]).

In fact, as it must be the case, almost all real numbers must be irrational!  Which, when you consider infinity, is irrational in and of itself.
  •