Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Am I pregnant, have an std, or what could this be?

Started by Abarrineau, September 03, 2013, 10:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abarrineau

Hi,

I've never posted on something like this before. I guess I should preface my story/question with that I am FTM, I'm now 26 and I've been on hormones for about 5 years, I had stopped taking testosterone for six months up until a few months ago, because of how time consuming it can be to get a new prescription and having to go on a trip, I unintentionally skipped a month of T. I then injected myself and three days later had unprotected sex, (that was a couple weeks ago. A couple days ago I started lightly spotting, cramping, feeling bloated, tired, nauseous, etc.  I would have thought that that last shot would have put me back to normal and back on track, I was quickly myself again after starting hormones again when I stopped for 6 months. This doesn't feel like any period I've ever had, or any symptoms of any STDs. After doing research and especially realizing that I was wrong to think that I couldn't get pregnant on hormones, being pregnant is the only thing I think it could be. I'm going to wait it out, I think maybe having transitioned makes me hyper aware of my body. I also never get sick and I've never felt this way, so I am just wondering what people think. Am I crazy? What could be happening? Could I really be pregnant? To be honest I never used condoms because as long as I knew the guy didn't have any stds I always thought there was no possible way to get pregnant.
  •  

Danielle Emmalee

Not to make light of your situation but

I'm not sure how effective a pregnancy test is if you have messed with your hormones but I would talk to a doctor to find out.  Also, I hope you are not still taking the hormones, that could be bad, at least until you've found out more and made a decision as to what you want to do.  Scary situation, I do not envy you.
Discord, I'm howlin' at the moon
And sleepin' in the middle of a summer afternoon
Discord, whatever did we do
To make you take our world away?

Discord, are we your prey alone,
Or are we just a stepping stone for taking back the throne?
Discord, we won't take it anymore
So take your tyranny away!
  •  

Danielle Emmalee

Discord, I'm howlin' at the moon
And sleepin' in the middle of a summer afternoon
Discord, whatever did we do
To make you take our world away?

Discord, are we your prey alone,
Or are we just a stepping stone for taking back the throne?
Discord, we won't take it anymore
So take your tyranny away!
  •  

Abarrineau

Thanks, I am actually supposed to take my next shot tomorrow, but due to the way I've been feeling I am going to skip it, that's why I'm just very confused because I've never felt like this before or on hormones and when I was off it before it took two months for any type of bleeding to start back up again and it went away as soon as I took my first shot going back on hormones. I am going to hopefully talk to my doctor soon, I'm not sure how much help she'll be, (I'm not convinced she's the most knowledgable on FTMs), but we'll see. I guess what I really want to know is am I crazy for thinking it could be that I'm pregnant? Or is that a legit concern based on what I've said? One friend said it could be testosterone withdrawals but I took a shot a few weeks ago...and I didn't feel this way going off last time. So idk, if anyone can tell me do you think I'm crazy? Or is there a legit concern here? That even if not pregnant something could be wrong?
  •  

ford

I'm not a doc or anything, but I do recall my doc telling me to make sure to use some form of protection in the off chance I miss a T shot.

"Hey you, sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!"
~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  •  

Abarrineau

Well I guess no one really stressed that to me, they always said it would take a while to get your period again and so I figured it wasn't an issue. I also just had a shot a few days before having sex so although it had been a while since my last shot, I figured that one shot was still enough to keep me safe.
  •  

Taka

your body might have gotten confused by you being off t for just a very short period. or you could have aborted before any pregnancy had a chance to really start. if the conditions for a pregnancy aren't right, the body might get rid of it all with in the first couple of weeks without giving the woman a chance to realize that's what happened. it often hurts more than a normal period though. still, that's also in some women a sign of pregnancy, so... nobody could diagnose you just from what you've told.

hormone based contraceptives aren't really all that safe. for some reason they often fail to inform women of this (not too sure why), male or female hormones doesn't matter. if you really are pregnant, you should make a decision as soon as at all possible, fetuses often don't develop right if the mother is on the wrong hormones. i've seen the sad results of cats getting pregnant when on the pill, it's horrible.

all in all, better talk to a professional about this.
  •  

Felix

When I first went on T I had some hellacious ovarian pain. On one side it was determined to be a burst cyst, and on the other (a few weeks later) they found nothing and treated me like I was crazy.

I've had similar pain if I skip shots, but it takes several weeks at least.

Before transition, I had at least one miscarriage. I know our guts can get weird on us and don't like it when we screw with them (birth control, HRT, fertility treatments, etc) when it's not super gradual.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Abarrineau on September 03, 2013, 10:45:04 PM
Thanks, I am actually supposed to take my next shot tomorrow, but due to the way I've been feeling I am going to skip it, that's why I'm just very confused because I've never felt like this before or on hormones and when I was off it before it took two months for any type of bleeding to start back up again and it went away as soon as I took my first shot going back on hormones. I am going to hopefully talk to my doctor soon, I'm not sure how much help she'll be, (I'm not convinced she's the most knowledgable on FTMs), but we'll see. I guess what I really want to know is am I crazy for thinking it could be that I'm pregnant? Or is that a legit concern based on what I've said? One friend said it could be testosterone withdrawals but I took a shot a few weeks ago...and I didn't feel this way going off last time. So idk, if anyone can tell me do you think I'm crazy? Or is there a legit concern here? That even if not pregnant something could be wrong?

You had unprotected sex.  One way to find out.

I would strongly suggest you test before the shot.  A lot of things are going on in the first few weeks of embryogenesis.
  •