Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Spicy Foods

Started by Amelia Pond, September 21, 2013, 08:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelia Pond

I'm guessing it's the hormones but lately (past month) I've been craving spicy foods. I especially like adding jalapenos and Tobasco sauce to nearly everything!

I was wondering if anyone has any good recipes, either incorporating both jalapenos and Tobasco sauce or just jalapenos? I'm even looking for dessert and drink ideas! I just can't get enough of this stuff.

Amy
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Amelia Pond

Mmmm, sounds good. Makes my mouth water just thinking about those. You're very helpful tonight. ;)

Amy
  •  

Amelia Pond

Quote from: Anonymous User on September 21, 2013, 09:29:43 PM
I also love the spice.  As far as desserts go, I haven't looked myself but I'm guessing there isn't much out there.  One thing I have done is I used to add ground cayenne pepper to my ground cinnamon, it basically has no flavor at all, at least compared to its spiciness (unlike jalapenos which have a pepper flavor to them)  That way if you can find any recipes that contain cinnamon, you can add this mixture to it and it won't give it a weird flavor but gives it that spicy kick that you're craving.  It's especially good for cinnamon toast and cinnamon buns.  Mmmmm so good.  Just make sure you don't add too much unless you really like things spicy, I usually mix it in probably a 1:20 or 1:30 ratio with the cinnamon, but you might like it spicier or maybe not as spicy.
Actually, I Googled some jalapeno desserts and found recipes for fudge, cheesecake and many many others. Including chocolate covered jalapenos stuffed with peanutbutter. Mmmmm... I just have no idea if they'd be any good. So I figured that I'd ask for opinions. ;)

That's not a bad idea about the cinnamon, thanks for that, I'll have to try it.

Quote from: Joules on September 21, 2013, 09:30:05 PM
Sorry a bit off topic here, I don't have any exotic spicy dishes, but I've had some weird cravings myself.  For a while, I couldn't get enough dill pickles, which I even put extra vinegar on.  Tomatoes too, that's a brand new one on me, but I was only stuck for a week on tomatoes.

Ever try any curry dishes?  They can hit the hot spot too.

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thairecipes/r/yellowcurrychic.htm
I've never tried curry but am not opposed to trying new things. Thanks for the link. :)

Quote from: Anonymous User on September 21, 2013, 09:30:41 PM
Do you drink Alcohol Amelia?
Not often but what did you have in mind?

Amy
  •  

Amelia Pond

Quote from: Anonymous User on September 21, 2013, 09:47:32 PM
Another spicy concoction I have enjoyed is a Spicy Screwdriver.  You either buy hot pepper infused vodka, make your own hot pepper infused vodka, or be lazy and just add Tabasco sauce to the vodka.  Add to orange juice.  Enjoy.  If you're extra daring, this is made using the Bhut Jolokia, The World's Hottest Pepper (this pepper is actually used as a weapon in India)*

*It was the world's hottest in 2007, in 2012 it became #2.
Mmmm... thanks! That sounds really good, I'll definitely be trying that when I get the chance.

Amy
  •  

Amelia Pond

Quote from: Joules on September 21, 2013, 10:11:11 PM
I did think of one dish with Jalapeno that has long been a fave.  Using a thick cut of steak such as top sirloin or rib eye, cut a pocket inside the steak and load it with nacho slices before barbecuing.  It was called a "Gonzales" at the restaurant where I learned it.
That sounds interesting.

One thing I can tell everyone is that pumpkin pie w/ whipped cream, Tobasco sauce and jalapenos IS NOT good!  :icon_blah:

Amy
  •  

Amelia Pond

Quote from: Anonymous User on September 21, 2013, 10:59:26 PM
That actually does sound pretty good but without the jalapenos.  Maybe try cayenne pepper with the pumpkin pie...I bet that would be good.
I tried a little bit with just Tobasco, it wasn't good.

However, your idea sounds interesting. Maybe next time. :)

Amy
  •  

Felix

I add spicy stuff or peppers or hot sauce or whatever to almost everything, even when I shouldn't.

You might could experiment with wasabi or ginger, both mildish things but very interesting compared to habaneros or jalapenos (forgive my lack of tildes). You can make sauces or sprinkles of either and they go with most vegetables and proteins if you add flavorings that match.

As far as alcohol goes, the official story is you're always supposed to use yellow beer, but I've found that cheap dry white wines can stand up to and complement hardcore fiery tastes just as well if not better.

If you're focusing on jalapenos and tabasco, you should explore mexican and cajun food to the hilt. Anything with rice, beans, or cheese is worth experimenting with. I don't usually eat cow cheese but spicy stuff works with that or goat or soy or rice or whatever.

For years I had friends try to get me to try tabasco in black coffee, and I always refused, and then I tried it, and then I liked it too much and got carried away, and then I never did it again. xD
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Jamie D

A good Ranchero sauce, for Huevos Rancheros will contain jalapenos or serranos.

Sweet onion
Tomato
Red bell pepper
Green bell pepper
Jalapeno or serrano chili
Garlic
Cilantro
Cumin
Salt
Cayenne
Stock

Easy breezy - you can do it.
  •  

Kaylee

Quote from: Amelia Pond on September 21, 2013, 09:41:10 PM

I've never tried curry but am not opposed to trying new things. Thanks for the link. :)

You like spicy food and never tried curry, you're going to have loads of fun!

I love making curries, my preference is for caribbean style, spicy but fruity and sweet, I do a mean Chicken, peppers and butternut squash curry, served with rice and peas (not actual peas, kidney beans)

You've inspired me in fact, I'm making curry for tea!
  •  

Jamie D

Panang Curry Chicken!   Yummmmmm.
  •  

big kim

I can't eat as spicy as I used to,these days butter veggie chicken is the hottest Indian I have.Tonight I'm on Carribean with Levi Root's Reggae Reggae wrap,the mild one is pretty hot come on and have a go if you think your hard enough!
  •  

Amelia Pond

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I just need to figure out where to get started.  :laugh:

Amy
  •  

DriftingCrow

You might want to try some Laksa Lemak. You can adjust the spice by adding more chilis to the paste. It's not super spicy, because the coconut milk calms it down, but you should feel the spice and the milk competing.

Ingredients (serves 4)
         250g dried rice vermicelli noodles
         1 tablespoon peanut oil
         1/2 cup laksa paste (see related recipe)
         4 cups chicken stock
         2 teaspoons grated palm or brown sugar
         2 cups coconut milk
         20 green medium-king prawns, peeled, tails intact, deveined
         6 squares fried bean curd puffs, thickly sliced
         2 green onions, thinly sliced
         1/2cup beansprouts, trimmed
         1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled, cut into thin strips
         1/2 cup mint leaves
      1/2 cup coriander leaves
Directions:
   Place noodles in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
   Heat a wok over high heat until hot. Add oil and swirl to coat. Add laksa paste. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until aromatic and oil separates from paste. Add stock and sugar. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add coconut milk and stir until hot.
   Add prawns to wok. Cook for 2 minutes or until prawns turn pink. Stir in bean curd puffs and onions.
Divide noodles between serving bowls. Top with prawns and bean curd puffs. Ladle over remaining soup. Top with beansprouts, cucumber, mint and coriander. Serve.

Laksa paste for laksa lemak

Ingredients
         6 dried small red chillies, deseeded
         2 teaspoons shrimp paste
         1 brown onion, chopped
         2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed, white part finely chopped
         3cm piece galangal, peeled, chopped
         5 candlenuts or brazil nuts
         2 garlic cloves, chopped
         1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
      1 tablespoon peanut oil

Directions
   Place chillies in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 20 minutes or until soft. Drain well. Roughly chop.
   Wrap shrimp paste in foil. Heat in a frying pan over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until roasted.
   Process chillies, roasted shrimp paste and remaining ingredients until well combined. Store paste in a clean, airtight jar in the fridge for up to 6 months.

For desserts, the Chili Dark chocolate from Lindt is pretty good.

Kimchi is also really good. If you buy it at the grocery store (usually tucked away with all the vegetarian products in the produce section) it's considered to be mild spice, but you do get some hot spots that make your belly burn. It's also really good for your intestinal tract as it helps feed your good wee beasties. I am going to try making some of my own as soon as I buy some bonito flakes.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Abby

I love kimchi, I eat it on hotdogs especially. I'm a gigantic sriracha nut though, and I like how its more multidimensional than other hot sauces because its not just chile and vinegar. theres lots of other flavors going on with the burn
Florals? For Spring? Groundbreaking.
  •  

MarvalAlice

Here's a weird combo. Chiles soaked in oil, on chocolate cake! such memories...
Warning! This poster is known to void warranties!
  •