Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Brain factor (protein and GID ?

Started by peky, October 08, 2013, 05:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peky

So, this protein factor called "brain-derived neurothrophic facto (BDNF), is a protein secreted by neurons in the brain (and in the cell muscles) that is important for the well being of your brain and thus your health. A variety of mental maladies (depression schizophrenia, Alzheimer's, etc) have been found to be associated with deficiencies in the levels or production of BDNF

Now, below, is a reported adding GID to the list of mental activities that can be moderate or mediate by BDNF.... which taken together adds to the biological basis of GID

QuoteJ Psychiatr Res. 2013 Oct;47(10):1546-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2013.04.012. Epub 2013 May 20.
Serum concentrations of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in patients with gender identity disorder.
Fontanari AM, Andreazza T, Costa AB, Salvador J, Koff WJ, Aguiar B, Ferrari P, Massuda R, Pedrini M, Silveira E, Belmonte-de-Abreu PS, Gama CS, Kauer-Sant'anna M, Kapczinski F, Lobato MI.
Gender Identity Disorder Program, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre (HCPA), Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil; Laboratory of Molecular Psychiatry, INCT for Translational Medicine, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre (HCPA), Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
Abstract
Gender Identity Disorder (GID) is characterized by a strong and persistent cross-gender identification that affects different aspects of behavior. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) plays a critical role in neurodevelopment and neuroplasticity. Altered BDNF-signaling is thought to contribute to the pathogenesis of psychiatric disordersand is related to traumatic life events. To examine serum BDNF levels, we compared one group of DSM-IV GID patients (n = 45) and one healthy control group (n = 66). Serum BDNF levels were significantly decreased in GID patients (p = 0.013). This data support the hypothesis that the reduction found in serum BDNF levels in GID patients may be related to the psychological abuse that transsexuals are exposed during their life.
Copyright © 2013 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
  •  

MadelineB

History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
~Maya Angelou

Personal Blog: Madeline's B-Hive
  •  

Jessica Merriman

What will they find out next? I sure wish this level of science was undertaken when I was younger.
  •  

Cindy

I've worked on BDNF for years in the area of spinal injury and links between the immune system and the neuroendocrine system. It is a very interesting substance!

The fun bit is when it binds to its receptor, there are so many co-receptors and other factors that then join in it is like a crate of whiskey at a party. You can't predict what happens next. We and others have used it and it's 'friends' to remodel severed spinal columns so that severe spinal damage is repaired.

The neuroendocrine system is a soup of the unknown.
  •  

Jessica Merriman

I know this is the wrong topic, but how did it beat the scar tissue barrier in it's re-establishment?
  •  

anjaq

As i understand this, being tg leads to changes in the serum levels, because of the hardship and dysphoria that comes with being tg and potentially this then is also linked to depression?

•  

peky

Quote from: Jessica Merriman on October 09, 2013, 04:55:17 AM
I know this is the wrong topic, but how did it beat the scar tissue barrier in it's re-establishment?

No! Most unfortunately stopping gliosis remains the "holly grail" of neurobiologist, and a major stumbling block to spinal cord regeneration
  •  

Jessica Merriman

Rest assured if I ever come up with a way to defeat scar tissue in spinal cord injuries, SRS's on me!!!!!! ;D
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: peky on October 09, 2013, 07:49:24 AM
No! Most unfortunately stopping gliosis remains the "holly grail" of neurobiologist, and a major stumbling block to spinal cord regeneration

We are using a vector to target individual nerves with NGF, early days.
  •  

peky

Quote from: Cindy on October 10, 2013, 03:36:25 AM
We are using a vector to target individual nerves with NGF, early days.

I was under the impression that you were a big shot hematologist running a diagnostic outfit, did you change fields?

BTW the problem is not a lack of nerve regrowth, the problem is the impenetrability of the glial scar. So most strategies since Silver et.al demonstrated that immature astrocytes can reverse a mature gliosis in the late 1980's, have centered around inhibiting and reversing the gliotic response in the CNS
  •  

Cindy

I have collaborations with the neuroscience dept and with the nanotechnology department. I'm responsible for the Imaging core facility so I have many collaborations in different areas that use the technology I'm responsible for.
  •