News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Applying mascara to the bottom lashes

Started by Shakti, October 13, 2013, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarynMcD

Quote from: Grace_C on October 14, 2013, 02:37:52 PM
I'm always amazed at women who apply their make up including mascara on the train in the morning on the way to work.
My girlfriend did it once on the train without a mirror. I'm like "how the heck!" but she's got super long lashes so it wasn't that hard for her.

Anyway, my tip for the lower lashes, use the tip of the brush and do them individually.
  •  

vivalagiselle

Depends on the look your going for. Applying mascara to bottom lashes makes eyes look bigger. I think big eyes are more a manly trait so I tend to make my eyes more smaller and seductive
  •  

Robin Mack

One tip that I have recently discovered... be patient, and do three or four passes over the lower lashes.  If you can feel the brush on your lower lashes, realize that some mascara is transferring even if you can't see it, and that light coating will help the next brush stick to it, until eventually the lashes are done perfectly. 

My biggest problem before was impatience... I would assume it wasn't working so I would try harder, and that would increase the risk of brushing the applicator against my skin.  As with so much in beauty, haste makes waste.  Take your time to perfect your look! :)
  •  

Eva Marie

Quote from: Shakti on October 17, 2013, 05:55:46 AM
The new Fake Out mascara from Physicians Formula is a lot like how you discribed, and yes it's a lot easier to work with

I've been using Maybelline Great Lash and I keep having issues after a while where I get specks and smudges below my eyes. Last night I put on mascara and I deliberately was very, very light on the bottom lashes to try to avoid this issue, but the specks & smudges I eventually got were even worse than usual.

What I think is happening is that mascara comes off of my very long upper lashes when I blink. I'm going to pick up some "fake out" mascara and see if it's any better than the great lash - thanks for the tip!  :)
  •  

Sayra

There are a couple things that you can do with mascara to keep it from falling. There are a couple primers that you can pick up from Maybelline that can help with plumping up the lashes and keeping it on. Another option is if you switch from the regular mascara to the waterproof one. The waterproof formulas are much tougher to get off, either olive oil or baby oil work well, but you'll want a cleanser for after.

As for lower lashes there are a few tricks: open your mouth, it'll help the lower the lashes to give you a little more space to work with. The other thing is business cards... sounds silly but if you slide a white business card, short end first, just under your lashes, you should be able to see them and then apply with however much force you like wihout worrying that you'll poke out an eye! It also keeps the excess mascara from ending up on your face.

Hope this helps a little!
S.
S.
  •  

FilaFord

Quote from: Ms. OBrien CVT on October 14, 2013, 03:47:56 PM
Use a business card to shield your skin.  Always curl the upper and lower lashes.  And lightly power the lashes to help set the mascara.

This. The business card works wonders for applying mascara!
  •  

michelle

My problems with putting mascara on my bottom lashes is that they are really light colored, short, thin, and hard to see.   On my upper lashes the mascara just flakes off. 

I just use makeup lightly.  My good luck with my whiskers is that they are really light and hard to see. 

Also, living in Florida and not having a car means that means that I always have at least a light tan so it appears that I might be wearing makeup all the time or really don't need it to hide my whiskers.  I do shave three or four times a day just to keep them harder to see.

I am really a plain Jane and its easier for me to pass if I dress in feminine clothing as long as I don't over do it and try and be too sexy.   It's better for me to look like a simple country girl, which I am, then to for me to look like a sophisticated lady.
Be true to yourself.  The future will reveal itself in its own due time.    Find the calm at the heart of the storm.    I own my womanhood.

I am a 69-year-old transsexual school teacher grandma & lady.   Ethnically I am half Irish  and half Scandinavian.   I can be a real bitch or quite loving and caring.  I have never taken any hormones or had surgery, I am out 24/7/365.
  •  

Sayra

Hey Michelle, there is another option. Since you like the more natural look, Maybelline does make a clear lash coat that simply helps hold the curl. Many girls won't do the bottom lashes during the day opting to pull that out for a night-time look. With your light hair and darker skin due to the tan, you could potentially get away with the easy clear mascara but tightline the lashes with a kohl or eyeliner. Just make sure to curl your lashes first, tightline, then apply the mascara to hold it all in place.

Maybe try that? Good luck! I envy all your sunshine! I live much further north, it feels like winter is 8 months long!
S.
S.
  •  

michelle

Hi, Sayra,

Thanks for your advice about mascara.

I now about northern winters, I grew up in the Dakotas living part of my life  within 15 miles of the Canadian border.  Loved the long summer days, but the short gray winter days were depressing.
Be true to yourself.  The future will reveal itself in its own due time.    Find the calm at the heart of the storm.    I own my womanhood.

I am a 69-year-old transsexual school teacher grandma & lady.   Ethnically I am half Irish  and half Scandinavian.   I can be a real bitch or quite loving and caring.  I have never taken any hormones or had surgery, I am out 24/7/365.
  •  

Sayra

It can definitely get cold! Happy to help!
S.
  •  

Unice

A girl on youtube was describing putting the mascara brush onto the lash then jiggling (I can't think of the right word) the brush back and forth so that it lightly tugs on the lashes For me, this means I only have to get the brush to my lash I don't also have to keep it steady while brushing.

I tried putting mascara on a lash curler and then curling the lash, as various people were describing on youtube. It did transfer to the lash, but at the time, I thought the process had somehow broken part of my lashes off (made them shorter).... later, I decided that didn't happen, but it keeps me a little worried about the process.

Anyway, the idea of putting the mascara on a surface and pressing it against the lash is something I want to experiment with.

Also, I think it is working to put petroleum jelly on the lashes with nothing else as a way to make lashes grow... maybe. I use a mascara brush (I bought a pack of 100) and apply it like mascara. That, you really don't want to go into your eye though...  Longer lashes would make it easier to apply mascara, as someone was saying above.
I have deduced that I am not wanted here.
  •  

itsalessia

I'm natural blonde, so it is also kinda hard for me to apply my mascara to my bottom lashes.
What you can do is to get an actual mascara that is for the bottom lashes. I definitely would recommend trying out the Bottom Lash Mascara from Clinique. Mascaras with bigger wands tends to be harder to apply to your bottom lashes, definitely if you're a blondie.
  •  

robin s

try putting a spoon under the lower lashes while applying mascara
Life is a team sport. Some of us just started out on the wrong team  :)
  •  

michelle

My bottom lashes are light colored, short, and thinned out, so it is very difficult to put on mascara.   In fact I am finding that I mostly go without makeup because now you see it, now you don't.   I put on long lasting lipstick.  I eat or drink something and it's gone.  The same goes with the rest of it.  I don't have a car and I live where there is lots of sun so I have a constant tan.   My facial hair is light blond and not easily seen if I keep up with shaving.  My biggest problem have with my facial hair is that no matter how much I shave it my neck and lower face have a sandpaper feel, so while it's hard to see my facial hair it can always be felt.   So I don't need makeup to hide it and my face always has color to it.

•  

Jen72

This isn't exactly for lower lashes but seen a video that helps make it easier. Basically using a brow comb applying the mascara to it then it goes on lighter but then you have more control over it. I tried still a noob at it lol but made it a lot easier to control the brow comb with the mascara on it then the long mascara brushes. I also reduced clumping and keeps the mascara clean from gunk that is on the lashes:)
For every day that stings better days it brings.
For every road that ends another will begin.

From a song called "Master of the Wind"" by Man O War.

I my opinions hurt anyone it is NOT my intent.  I try to look at things in a neutral manner but we are all biased to a degree.  If I ever post anything wrong PLEASE correct me!  Human after all.
  •  

CaptFido87

Wow there are so many great tips in here. Yea I can hardly get the top ones let alone the bottom ones. Than when I have it looking good I end up blinking and the mascara gets all over. Some of you mentioned that they need to dry first before blinking, I'll have to try that next time. I like the card trick too. I have a bunch of useless business cards so that can help. I have very sensitive eyes and they water if anything gets close to the eyelids which makes it even harder to do for me.
Hi I'm Marty. I'm a MTF Transgender who wants nothing more than to finally let Samantha (Sammi) come out and play.

As of: 03/07/2015
  •