Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Applying mascara to the bottom lashes

Started by Shakti, October 13, 2013, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakti

When I apply mascara on my bottom lashes I always seem to manage to get some on my skin which then needs to be wiped off. It seems to me like this means I'm not applying it properly if this happens. So ladies what are your techniques for applying mascara to your bottom lashes without getting it on your skin?

PS If it matters I'm currently using Physicians Formula Fake Out mascara, though I've had the same problem with any mascara I've tried.
  •  

Joe.

I've only done it a few times in my life, but hopefully I can offer some help. What I found helped with that was folding a tissue in half and then putting the tissue right up under your bottom lashes to the line of your eye. Hold the tissue nice and flat so it is smooth like your skin but make sure it's right up underneath your lashes. Then you just apply the mascara as you would normally and instead of the mascara going on your skin it goes onto the tissues. I hope this helps  :)
  •  

DriftingCrow

The best way is to go very lightly. You have to go lighter on the lower than the upper lashes because they're usually not as thick.

Also, just practice, practice, practice in front of the mirror on a day when you have nothing better to do. You might be blinking some or your lower lid muscles quivering since it's not usually natural to be putting something that close to your eye. If you practice enough, you'll be able to put it on without  having your muscles quiver. When I was young, my aunt told me she used to spend hours practicing putting on her mascara until she could do it right every time. When I wore makeup, I followed this advice until I could do it. Now, I hardly wear eye make-up, but whenever I do, it always looks as close to perfect as possible. It's like riding a bike, once you learn to balance, you have it down forever.

Edit to add: Joey posted at the same time as me, so I didn't see his tissue suggestion. This would work, but it's not necessary once you learn the amount of pressure you need and when to stop your hand from brushing it onto the lashes. Also, if you're wearing an under-eye concealer, you'll want to be careful since the tissue could possibly wipe some of it off since you likely put on the concealer before doing your mascara.

(On a side note, if you wear eye liner on your lower lid, you'll probably find that it'll start running after a few hours because of any sweat and oils on your face. The liquid concealer works great to prevent this, because you'll have concealer there to keep it from running down in any lines or wrinkles.)
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

kira21 ♡♡♡

Hmmm, my top tips would be, in no particular order...

1. Rest your elbow of the arm holding the mascara on a solid surface. This will stabilise you a little.
2. Use a magnification mirror when applying eye makeup
3. Keep cotton buds/q-tips ready, and a little moisturiser rubbed on the tip. Its great for removing little errors as it gets under the lash without touching them, plus it leaves the skin moisturised too. Spin it a little as you remove.
4. Squint just a tiny bit as you apply as it lifts the lashes a little. Also tilt your head forward so that your eyes look up a bit.
5. go slow. Its quicker to go slow than it is to correct so never rush.

Good luck! :-)

Cindy

I rather love it when two of my favourite brothers help out like that.

Thank You.

Now if anyone can help with eyeliner!!!!!
  •  

LordKAT

I always thought the best use for eye liner was to give it to a kid and give them some drawing paper to use it on.
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: LordKAT on October 14, 2013, 03:07:55 AM
I always thought the best use for eye liner was to give it to a kid and give them some drawing paper to use it on.

You are a Philistine and probably use it to draw spots and stripes!!! :laugh: :-*
  •  

Shakti

Quote from: Cindy on October 14, 2013, 02:31:12 AM

Thank You.

Try using a felt tip eyeliner, I've found they're a lot easier to work with than the other types
  •  

kira21 ♡♡♡

Quote from: Shakti on October 14, 2013, 05:18:58 AM
Try using a felt tip eyeliner, I've found they're a lot easier to work with than the other types

I find pens are ok,  but they don't have a good flow of ink.  It may be harder to get the hang of,  but liquid is where it's at for the top and kajal for the inner part.

Robin Mack

Quote from: Cindy on October 14, 2013, 02:31:12 AM

Thank You.

Sephora or Ulta (or other high-end places) have a *wonderful* eyeliner called 24/7 (it's in with the Urban Decay products).

This stuff is *AMAZING*... I have put it on, sweated buckets, cried hugely, wiped my eyes and it remains in place!  The only problem I have *ever* had with this stuff is that it is a real pain to get off before going (in male mode) to work the next day.  I recommend the urban decay makeup remover for that... rub it in along the eyes, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe with a wet washcloth.  Presto, it's gone!  Soap and water do not work at all for it... it's *that* permanent.

This gal used to do sideshow acts under hot lights... eyeliner looked like a horror show before I found this stuff.  :)
  •  

Kittenswithmittens

Regarding the mascara I'd say try one that does not clump, yet stays somewhat dryish. My tear channels clogs up so fast and I always got mascara everywhere until I tried one from i.d named weather everything. It's very natural and not as prominent, but it can easily be built up and works like a charm with primers/build up base mascaras. I can BLINK again!!

And the brush is very neat and nice to work with. When I'm out of it I tend to use other mascaras but the brush from that one. Practise is also your best friend. I always apply mascara with my mouth wide open lol!
"She had blue skin, and so did he. He kept it hid, and so did she. They searched for blue their whole life through, then passed right by - and never knew."
  •  

Ms Grace

I'm always amazed at women who apply their make up including mascara on the train in the morning on the way to work. It's hardly the most stable of platforms... when they're using eye liner I'm always worried the train might lurch and they'll poke their eye out. Ow. So my tip is, don't do it on a train!  ;D

I like that tissue under the bottom suggestion though, I'm sure I've seen it used by other women too.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Kittenswithmittens

Hahaha my sister always applies makeup in the car!

If you place your hand properly under your eye it should become less shaky, but that requires a short shafted brush. I just can't work with the normal length shafted mascara brushes, they're wayyyy too long! (And I only apply makeup once every leap year these days so I'm out of training as it is)
"She had blue skin, and so did he. He kept it hid, and so did she. They searched for blue their whole life through, then passed right by - and never knew."
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Use a business card to shield your skin.  Always curl the upper and lower lashes.  And lightly power the lashes to help set the mascara.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Abby

One common tip for makeup routines is to follow an order. I apply eyeliner first, then mascara. Let the mascara dry (like five minutes? This is when I brush my teeth). Then just use some makeup removing wipes/warm water on a q tip to remove any mascara specks. I have long eyelashes so I wind up with that from when the wet mascara touches my ocular ridges. Im too lazy to be bothered with shielding my skin though. THEN I apply any eyeshadows/pencil my brows. The last step should always be any foundation because if you apply foundation first it's harder to remove mascara/eyeshadow fallout without messing up your previous work.   The most frustrating thing in the world is to have everything flawless then have black eyeshadow or mascara mess up a spot :P

Tldr: don't stress it, it's an easy fix if you do everything in order. it's basically bound to happen
Florals? For Spring? Groundbreaking.
  •  

DriftingCrow

:( I made a video on how to do the lower lashes but it won't upload. At least it was more entertaining than raking the yard.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

gravebecky

This is great ever time i think up of a good question to ask the answer is already there. thanks and loads of love peeps
This is what I think of when people give me their damning verdict: The Rock "It doesnt matter what you think. It just doesnt matter.
  •  

Shakti

Quote from: Kittenswithmittens on October 14, 2013, 02:14:15 PM
Regarding the mascara I'd say try one that does not clump, yet stays somewhat dryish. My tear channels clogs up so fast and I always got mascara everywhere until I tried one from i.d named weather everything. It's very natural and not as prominent, but it can easily be built up and works like a charm with primers/build up base mascaras. I can BLINK again!!

And the brush is very neat and nice to work with. When I'm out of it I tend to use other mascaras but the brush from that one. Practise is also your best friend. I always apply mascara with my mouth wide open lol!

The new Fake Out mascara from Physicians Formula is a lot like how you discribed, and yes it's a lot easier to work with, I just got it last week. Before I was using Revlon Lash Potion and it got everywhere. Also LearnedHand, yes I think you're right about using a light touch, I've been practicing when I do my mascara, and I'm getting a lot better, I'm not quite 100 percent there though.
  •  

Shakti

Quote from: Abby on October 14, 2013, 11:47:06 PM
One common tip for makeup routines is to follow an order. I apply eyeliner first, then mascara. Let the mascara dry (like five minutes? This is when I brush my teeth). Then just use some makeup removing wipes/warm water on a q tip to remove any mascara specks. I have long eyelashes so I wind up with that from when the wet mascara touches my ocular ridges. Im too lazy to be bothered with shielding my skin though. THEN I apply any eyeshadows/pencil my brows. The last step should always be any foundation because if you apply foundation first it's harder to remove mascara/eyeshadow fallout without messing up your previous work.   The most frustrating thing in the world is to have everything flawless then have black eyeshadow or mascara mess up a spot :P

Tldr: don't stress it, it's an easy fix if you do everything in order. it's basically bound to happen

I was taught foundation first before anything else. Also eyeshadow should go on before your other eye makeup, or else the dust from it will mess up your eyeliner and/or mascara.
  •  

Abby

I NEVER do my foundation first. It's way easier to clean up fallout off of bare skin than it is to clean off foundation
Florals? For Spring? Groundbreaking.
  •