Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Four levels of transition

Started by Jamie D, November 10, 2013, 08:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

Many psychologists refer to the "four levels of being" when discussing an integrated approach to therapy.  The thinking is it does no good just to address one level, or even one level at a time.  These levels are often defined as the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual.

For myself, I believe that I have mentally and spiritually accepted my transgenderness.  Mentally, in that I now accept that what I was feeling all those years was really dysphoria, and spiritually, in that I am at peace with that.

I am not sure that emotionally I am transitioned yet, because I still flip back and forth between my male socialization and my innate female.  I am a work in progress.

Physically, because of my health conditions, I may never be able to transition, even if it was the ideal course of action - and that is still open to debate on what and where an androgyne should go.  (I take heed though, of my friend Sarah7's example.)

For many of us, if we do not eventually transition on the physical level, we consider ourselves, non-transitioned.  But is that really a fair assessment?

Discuss
  •  

Lauren5

Perhaps the proper term is non-medically transitioning.
Hey, you've reached Lauren's signature! If you have any questions, want to talk, or just need a shoulder to cry on, leave me a message, and I'll get back to you.
*beep*

Full time: 12/12/13
Started hormones: 26/3/14
FFS: No clue, winter/spring 2014/15 maybe?
SRS: winter/spring 2014/15?
  •  

Jamie D

I know that LearnedHand uses that term in his profile.

I think I am getting at what some people might consider "partial" transitions.  It is fair to be labeled as "non-transitioned"?   (Labeled by others or by ourselves)
  •  

Lauren5

To me, nom-transition means you considered transition,  but decided to stay in your old gender rather than assuming your preferred gender as permanent
Hey, you've reached Lauren's signature! If you have any questions, want to talk, or just need a shoulder to cry on, leave me a message, and I'll get back to you.
*beep*

•  

Jamie D

I understand where you are coming from Willow.  I was just looking at the description of the board:

A board for trans people of any stripe dealing with the trials of non-transitioning at the moment or ever.

I guess, the fundamental question is, what constitutes "non-transitioning"?
  •  

Lauren5

A very good question indeed.
I could consider myself non-transitioning, as I am not yet on hormones, yet I intend to be. While someone else may use the same term because they are unable to take hormones.
*beep*

•  

Danielle Emmalee

I take it to mean not medically transitioning and no current plans to in the future.  Either by choice or for health reasons
Discord, I'm howlin' at the moon
And sleepin' in the middle of a summer afternoon
Discord, whatever did we do
To make you take our world away?

Discord, are we your prey alone,
Or are we just a stepping stone for taking back the throne?
Discord, we won't take it anymore
So take your tyranny away!
  •  

Cindy

I agree with <3. No medical intervention, the reasons for not having medical intervention can vary a lot.

I don't think purely the inability to have HRT or, for example, a BA without HRT for a MtF is the soul criteria, nor the inability to dress as the desired gender. I have met both trans*men and woman who are unable or unwilling to have medical intervention but clearly have male of female brain and express a personality that is incongruent to their physical appearance.

I think life can be very difficult as they are misgendered by others and I need to know what pronouns they wish to be used. After I am aware of that I can address them correctly.

Is this what you mean?
  •  

TerriT

I don't think hrt is manditory. I think anything someone is doing to intentionally alter their appearance on a more permanent basis could be considered. For a lot of people, not being seen as the typical gender role is part of trans stuff, or at least a desire to not be treated in an assumed role.
  •  

Tanya W

Another absolutely fascinating thread here, this one made up of at least two parts.

The first part concerns the nature of transition. While I (kinda, sorta, generally perhaps) understand what is typically meant by this last word among transgender folk, my dictionary defines transition as "to undergo a period or process of change from one state or condition to another."

This very broad description of the word seems to undo the notion of 'transition' that this 'Non-transitioning' board is based upon. For if I consider only my own trans journey to date, it is very certainly a period and process of change from one state to another. While I cannot yet accurately describe what these states exactly are, I do not believe this reflects any lack of legitimacy or existence on their part, but rather a culture-based inadequacy when it comes to understanding and speaking about gender.

Put another way, when I reflect upon the conventional notion of this word - transition - I realize I actually do not fall under the category of 'Non-transitioning'. While I may not be engaging medical services and/or procedures at this point - or ever - I am undergoing a rather intense and scary process of change. I suspect the same could be said of many in this part of the site.

Realizing this allows a measure of space and relaxation to enter my experience. And suddenly I see that the typical use of this word among trans folk (as please forgive my use of the word 'typical' in this post; I feel there must be a better way to express this but cannot tonight find it) has been a bit claustrophobic for me. Though I do not believe for a moment this is in any way personal, there is a certain amount of hierarchy and consequently oppression in terms like 'full transition', 'partial transition', and 'non transition'. Following from the considerations above, they at some tangible level deprive me of my journey, render it in some ways 'non' instead of affirming its inherent value, appropriateness, and legitimacy.

Which brings me to what is for me the second main point of Jamie's post: the four levels. If I can affirm that I am, in fact, transitioning (a powerful gesture in and of itself), it becomes an exercise in empowerment to reflect upon how my transition is unfolding through the mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical realms. It is a further embrace and proclamation of my process as a transgender person, as one who does not easily fit within mainstream notions of 'male' and 'female'.

On the mental level I am working, through engagements such as this, to develop a view of gender broad enough to accommodate the fullness of my experience - and, hopefully, of other beings as well. Emotionally I am trying to allow access to a wider range of feeling - including fear, anger, a so much regret - than ever before and, when appropriate, to share this feeling, share my experience with others. Spiritually I am trying to find acceptance - dare I call it peace?!? - with myself.

Physically is it fair to say my transition is somehow 'non' because it has not involved certain services and/or procedures? If so, what then can be said of the physical changes I have seen these last few years: longer hair, shaved body, better care of skin, shaped eyebrows, new wardrobe and the like? No, it seems more accurate to say, 'Yes I have physically transitioned. Not in the way some in this community have, but there certainly have changes to my physical being as I find ways to work with and express my being in this world.'

So maybe we need a new, more descriptive and affirming language around transitioning? One that encourages all trans people to recognize, embrace, and celebrate the process of change we have undergone. A process of change that, as Jamie points out, resonates through four levels of being for us.   

'Though it is the nature of mind to create and delineate forms, and though forms are never perfectly consonant with reality, still there is a crucial difference between a form which closes off experience and a form which evokes and opens it.'
- Susan Griffin
  •  

Roberta W

What about the other side of the coin?  Some of us have physically transitioned, but have not been able to get past the "other" stages of transitioning, like making it to full-time, telling friends, family, employers, changing legal documentation, etc.  I've been physically transitioned since 1986, but I continue looking for ways to complete the transition through these other aspects.  I just discovered the "androgyne" forum here on this site ... I had never heard of that, and now I'm excited that I may have found a home there!
It took a lot of doing, but I take a lot of pride in what I am.
  •