News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Long flights double risk of blood clots

Started by LostInTime, July 01, 2007, 02:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Chicago Sun Times

Flights lasting more than four hours about double a traveler's risk of life-threatening blood clots, World Health Organization studies found. The clots, called venous thromboembolism, can form in the legs and can be fatal when they move into a patient's lungs. The risk of VTE also applies to travel such as car, bus and train where passengers are seated for long periods, the Geneva-based agency said in an e-mailed statement. More than 600,000 people in the U.S. have a pulmonary embolism every year and more than 60,000 of them die, according to the country's National Institutes of Health.
  •  

ChildOfTheLight

Notably, the risk is significantly worse for people who are in good cardiovascular shape, because their resting heart rates tend to be lower.

The way to prevent such blood clots is to stand up and walk around regularly, or at least flex the legs, and wear compression stockings on long flights so that blood doesn't pool in the legs.
  •  

Laura Eva B

Same WHO report (fom BBC) :

"Passengers taking multiple flights over a short period of time are also at higher risk, says WHO.

This is because the risk of venous thromboembolism (VTE) - the collective name for DVTs and pulmonary embolisms (clots in the lungs) - does not go away completely after a flight is over, and risk remains elevated for about four weeks."

Of course surgery increases the risk of DVT too (particularly in the abdominal / pelvic region) as does HRT medication !

Scary especially for a woman travelling long distance for GRS !

I travelled seven hours each way within two weeks for my GRS, and had resumed HRT by my return flight !

Laura x
  •  

Hazumu

So, what are some good brands of compression stockings that work?

Karen
  •  

LostInTime

I shopped from a nurse's supply company, forget the name. The compressions socks were a bit pricey but well worth the price.
  •  

Rashelle

TED hose is the main brand of compression stocking. Futuro or a similar sounding name makes a not as aggressive compression stocking also. By not as aggressive I mean not as tight on the compression (or the pocket book). TED hose is normally recommended for ts heading overseas for srs.
Rashelle
  •  

Thundra

Bah! This threat is over-rated!

I have severe edema in my lower limbs, and I have flown cross-country and cross oceanic flights with no problems. The key is to get up and walk around every couple of hours, and to sit with your legs raised periodically.

I wore the ted hose at the advise of a doc on one flight and found there to be not much of a difference from when I did not. Movement is the key, and elevation is second.
  •  

Kate

Flights lasting more than four hours about double a traveler's risk of life-threatening blood clots...

I don't get it. What' so special about plane flights?

I mean heck, I work as a programmer. I sit still for hours and hours every day. I drive home... sitting... go inside and sit still for hours and hours more.

Then there's that whole "sleeping" thing. Still yet again for hours.

Am I supposed to be taking a walk every hour or so? And setting my alarm to wake me throughout the night for a stroll?

I'm just not sure how to avoid this problem...

~Kate~
  •