Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

I'm not playing for your team.

Started by insideontheoutside, November 26, 2013, 02:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

insideontheoutside

Ever notice how males and females seem to team up together? Just hang out in mixed company long enough and watch all the females start to band together and talk amongst themselves while the males drift off and do their own thing. Ever been pulled into one group with a sense of displacement and dread that you'll have to put on an act or appear totally awkward (or appear awkward regardless of trying to put on an act)? And have you ever wanted to just say, "Hey, I'm not playing for your team"?

It happens more often than I'd like. But aside from telling everyone my sordid story of gender wackiness there's not a whole lot I can do in those situations. I will say though, that the older I get, the less tolerance I have for these little gender games. The last occurrence of this it seemed to be a typical situation where a couple women were going on and on about how men do this or men do that. Somehow I got roped into their conversation by default - because they thought I was one of them. But what I did was disagree with them. And then I got funny looks and became the outcast. And that was almost as good as coming right out and saying I wasn't on their team.

Doesn't even really matter if you don't look the part 100% (which I really don't), you're on their team just because they think you're one of them and you're part of some big sisterhood of the traveling pants or something and you'll be able to all relate together. It's a little different with the men, because if you're even a bit "femme" you're an outcast to the males, unless of course you really fake it. Maybe try to learn a sports stat or two or talk about the last imaginary chick you boned.

And the older I get the less appealing I find the weird division that happens and the behavior that is all wrapped up with gender and socializing. And I feel like because of my situation, I'm not actually cut out to play with either team, but to just sit on the sidelines as a spectator, or to just walk down the middle of the field thumbing my nose at either side.
"Let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive."
  •  

Jessica Merriman

Life sure seems like Junior High School all over again, doesn't it? Sounds to me your level of maturity is where it should be. I suppose this silliness in the world goes back a few thousand years where tribal social engineering started. What the world needs is a few more of us stirring the pot!  ;D
  •  

DriftingCrow

I do notice the sexes split up in some places, but I am just usually over with the guys. I am really only with the girls if one or more of them are my friends.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Robin Mack

*hug*  I know the feeling.  Part of my need to transition comes from feeling cut off from "my team"... I used to be on the outside too, deluding myself that I was really male, trying so hard (too hard) to fit in when things didn't make sense...

It seems to me that the happiest times in my pre-transition life were when I got together with a group of "outcasts".  Somehow there is a sense of unity among the oppressed that can overcome societal boundaries.  Seeking people with a higher sense of purpose (philanthropic organizations, other charities) can help.  Susan's helps.  When people share a purpose that is greater than themselves sometimes those divisions are washed away.

Perhaps that is what is lacking in modern urban life; a unifying sense of purpose.  We're so fragmented these days, and so many people are in this life only for themselves and their clique.

*hug*
  •  

insideontheoutside

@Jessica Merriman Yes, funny how some of those school yard type of things follow us all throughout life!

@LearnedHand I am usually with the guys as well. Where I have issues is with women who don't really know me well or at all.

@Robin Mack I would say that in general people with shared interests or experiences do tend to hang out together. I think it's just the stereotypes and the acting that goesmalong with e gender stuff that still bothers me a little. And thanks for the hug :)
  •  

Gina Taylor

Quote from: Robin Mack on November 26, 2013, 04:46:43 PM
*hug*  I know the feeling.  Part of my need to transition comes from feeling cut off from "my team"... I used to be on the outside too, deluding myself that I was really male, trying so hard (too hard) to fit in when things didn't make sense...

It seems to me that the happiest times in my pre-transition life were when I got together with a group of "outcasts".  Somehow there is a sense of unity among the oppressed that can overcome societal boundaries.  Seeking people with a higher sense of purpose (philanthropic organizations, other charities) can help.  Susan's helps.  When people share a purpose that is greater than themselves sometimes those divisions are washed away.

Perhaps that is what is lacking in modern urban life; a unifying sense of purpose.  We're so fragmented these days, and so many people are in this life only for themselves and their clique.

*hug*

I know the feeling. :) And I couldn't have said it better myself!  :)
Gina Marie Taylor  8)
  •  

musicofthenight

I hardly ever feel dysphoric, but when I do

Quote from: insideontheoutside on November 26, 2013, 02:36:07 AM
Ever notice how males and females seem to team up together?

Maybe try to learn a sports stat or two or talk about the last imaginary chick you boned.

it's over things like this.  Ugh.

Come to think of it, from a rather young age, too.

I remember being bewildered by the "Figure Skating Battle of the Sexes" back in the mid-90s.  I couldn't have been any older than seven or eight.
What do you care what other people think? ~Arlene Feynman
trans-tom / androgyne / changes profile just for fun

he... -or- she... -or (hard mode)- yo/em/er/ers
  •  

Jennygirl

I think about anyone could relate to this feeling trans or not. It is not uncommon to be uncomfortable.

I have had this exact feeling before and initially had the same anxiety about "teams", but blaming my transness didn't quite fit... After some thought I realized it had nothing to do with their gender, which allowed me to relax about myself in the moment. I just had difficulty relating to them as people, and it made me uncomfortable. Nothing more than my own auto dysphoric defense mechanism which is used to blaming things on being trans. Whenever I am able to catch myself auto dysphoriating, it usually helps me dodge that uncomfortableness or left-out feeling.
  •  

insideontheoutside

Quote from: Jennygirl on November 27, 2013, 03:32:45 AM
I think about anyone could relate to this feeling trans or not. It is not uncommon to be uncomfortable.

I have had this exact feeling before and initially had the same anxiety about "teams", but blaming my transness didn't quite fit... After some thought I realized it had nothing to do with their gender, which allowed me to relax about myself in the moment. I just had difficulty relating to them as people, and it made me uncomfortable. Nothing more than my own auto dysphoric defense mechanism which is used to blaming things on being trans. Whenever I am able to catch myself auto dysphoriating, it usually helps me dodge that uncomfortableness or left-out feeling.

Of course there's stuff like you're talking about. But I'm talking about a bunch of women specifically talking about stereotypically female things - like male bashing, boyfriends, periods, etc. etc. Or vice versa with men talking about stereotypically male things like sports and hetro sex, etc. etc. I'm a total introvert by nature, and that has nothing to do with my gender, but when I see these "sides" being taken by groups of mixed company and then gender is overtly throw into it, that's what I'm talking about. That definitely makes me feel out of place because they expect me to chime in right along with them and agree. And 99% of the time I don't or have absolutely nothing to say on whatever they're talking about.
  •  

Jennygirl

I totally see what you are saying, and at times I introvert to the max as well. Transition has helped somewhat, but I still get plagues of the social anxiety stuff from time to time. I am normally very shy / reserved around people I don't know or I'm trying to pass with- it's a work in progress. Basically, I can relate to the introvertedness.

Anyway, I feel that a lot of cis females would share the feeling you describe and not say anything because of non-interest or might even leave the conversation. I know of a few who for sure would roll their eyes and walk away ;)

I don't think it's necessarily because we are trans and therefore have to think of ourselves as outsiders- we are just as female as any cis female and it's society/culture that tries to tell us differently. Not having the same pubertal experience doesn't make us any less genuinely female. It can be all too easy to believe what society tells us, but ultimately it's our individual choice to listen or not.

Those situations can be hard I know, but please don't get down on yourself about it- it's not worth it because you are beautiful in your own way... and no amount of opting out of conversations about periods will change that!
  •