Walgreens: Hire trans women

Started by Shana A, December 14, 2013, 01:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Walgreens: Hire trans women

Petition by
        Ellie Navidson
        Chicago, IL

http://www.change.org/petitions/walgreens-hire-trans-women?share_id=bdUsoTqBvb&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

Please join us in demanding that Walgreens and WPride hire trans women in Chicago Walgreens stores.

We write this letter in response to an event that occurred in the Chicago Walgreen's store at 151 N. State St. We are demanding transformation in the wake of an assault. 

On November 15, 2013, two trans women were in the store, one of whom, ellie june navidson, was in line when a Walgreen's employee behind the counter gestured towards the other women and said "that's a man" to his co-worker. ellie said, "excuse you, what did you say?" to the employee. The employee then got defensive and angry and raised his voice. The employee continued to refer to both of the women as "he," posturing and yelling louder when ellie corrected the employee, noting that he should use "she" and "her" pronouns. The employee did not respect this request and instead walked around the counter, pointed two fingers in the shape of a pistol at ellie's head while he screamed "what is it?" at her. This employee had to be held back by another Walgreen's employee so the two women could safely leave the Walgreen's store.

We request that Walgreen's and WPride take action to hold their employee accountable for threatening ellie and her friend. We believe that this hostile behavior should be addressed immediately and in a way that takes responsibility for the company's employees and works towards creating a violence-free environment for trans identified individuals. We are asking that you engage with us in an agreement for holding yourself accountable in the following way:
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

ThePhoenix

What is the rest of the text from the petition?  It doesn't sound like it has much to do with hiring transwomen based on what was posted.  But addressing trans phobic violence is, of course, important.
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Jerri

what happened there was wrong on every level... signed
jerri
one day, one step, with grace it will be forward today
  •  

Idenya

And this is what I was talking about in my intro post. The gender police, and from what I read the guy might have attacked the women. Mindless and senseless violence happens in Chicago and other parts of the US far too often. Some people feel they have the right to lash out.  Its one of the reasons I left Chicago when I started transitioning. I didn't want to be subject to such idiocracy.

-signed

Edited for content and TOS 4 violation.
あゆみ
  •  

JamesG

Were I there, dood would have gotten a face full of pepper spray.

IMO- Hiring a few transfolk won't displace the intolerant.  Suggesting (demanding?) "sensitivity training" would likely produce better results.  But sadly, those drug/convenience store chains seem only a half step above gas/convenience stores in the quality of their employees and management. And that is the root of this. "The customer is always right" should be the first thought of a well trained employee, "Don't insult or attack a customer" shouldn't even need to be mentioned.
  •  

JaimeD

Quote from: JamesG on March 12, 2014, 04:16:04 PM
Were I there, dood would have gotten a face full of pepper spray.

IMO- Hiring a few transfolk won't displace the intolerant.  Suggesting (demanding?) "sensitivity training" would likely produce better results.  But sadly, those drug/convenience store chains seem only a half step above gas/convenience stores in the quality of their employees and management. And that is the root of this. "The customer is always right" should be the first thought of a well trained employee, "Don't insult or attack a customer" shouldn't even need to be mentioned.
Yeah, those gas/convenience store workers are horrible, aren't they?   
  •  

Jess42

I really do hope the employee was fired.
  •  

JamesG

Quote from: JaimeD on March 12, 2014, 04:27:38 PM
Yeah, those gas/convenience store workers are horrible, aren't they?   

Not horrible, just often under-trained, under-motivated, and under-paid because management is more worried about "maximizing shareholder value" than taking care of their people and customers.
  •  

Blue Senpai

The insensitivity is strong with this one. Signed.
  •  

JenP

Anecdotal, but I have a good friend (trans woman) who works as a day shift manager at Walgreens. She has said that there is at least one employee who is a problem, but that management has been supportive of her. She even went full time after she was already working there. I also know she continues to work there because she has said the insurance is actually really good for what she needs and will cover a significant portion of her transition related costs.

There may be significant issues but I don't know that they are systemic. It may just be toxic leadership at some local/regional level.
  •  

Sandy74

I am happy to have signed this and support my sisters in the fight to being accepted
  •