Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What comics are you currently reading?

Started by LJP, December 25, 2013, 07:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJP

Ooops I accidentally put this under fun and games instead of books. I didn't know if there were any comic fans out there. I love these what are your favorite/what are you currently threads. Introducing someone to something new or finding something new you enjoy is allways fun. Currently I'm following Rat queens and Saga. That's about it. I may start following batman when Snyder does something with harper row. Also I gave up on floppys. Usually I just wait for the trade. So what books are you reading?
Be the change you wish to see in the world
  •  

Ms Grace

I've been reading comic books for many years now. But I've been struggling with them for a while now - I was a big DC fan, they had a lot of female characters that I really enjoyed reading but they had to go and do that stupid new 52 stunt and a lot of those characters got wiped out of the current continuity or changed so much they might as well be new characters. I stuck it out, but... meh. The only book that really shone coming out of the reboot was Wonder Woman. I do love Fables though. The Angel & Faith series was good but finished now. I'm also really enjoying the FF book (not the main one, the one with the kids). I believe Saga is good but I've been having trouble getting it in trade.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

I read comics when I was around 6 or 7 but the only one I remember was Transformers. I know there was a few more that I read but I can't recall them.

These days the only comic books I own are the Shut Up! Little Man!! comic book and a series of six comic books of The Get Along Gang that I didn't have when I was a kid since by the time it was on CBS as a Saturday morning series the ONLY thing you could find around here were the paperbacks like The Get Along Gang & The Crybaby, etc. But I purchased the complete six volume set of comics from a seller on Ebay a while back. The stories are good but some of the dialogue makes me roll my eyes. Like, when they shoehorn in the phrase "Let's get along, gang!". It's soooo frickin cheesy. They did the same thing in the Nickelodeon pilot. Thankfully, they didn't do this in the CBS series and I don't recall it being that way in the paperback books either.
  •  

LJP

Laura-I haven't read any transformers comics. That was after my time. I'm not familiar with the get along gang tho. Was it a cartoon?

Grace-I'm with you on that Grace. I think I grew out or burned out on comics. Luckily I found some I still enjoy. I'm with you on NU52. I'm not a fan. Oddly the NU52 batman by Scott Snyder was great. I say oddly because I am not a fan of batman. It's really good. I also agree with the wonder woman. I followed it til I stopped buying floppys. Have you read 100 bullets? It's written by the same person who wrote wonder woman(Azerello) and it's really good. Track down saga if you can it's awesome, especially if you like sci fi. I got mine on amazon.
  •  

Ms Grace

Yeah, Snyder is a good writer. His stuff on Detective Comics before switching to Batman was also good. Azarello is also a good writer, I bought a lot of issues of 100 Bullets but at some point became disgusted by the violence and couldn't stomach it any more. A shame. I really liked the artist too, they make a good team (well, apart from the gore).
Grace
  •  

LJP

It was very violent I agree. Honestly some of the things lono did to women almost ran me off. I loved his wonder woman. I think I will track down some of those trades. I made it right up til the new gods appeared. Is it still running? I didn't read detective. The court of owls are what got my attention on batman.
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: LJP on December 25, 2013, 08:24:42 PM
Laura- I'm not familiar with the get along gang tho. Was it a cartoon?

Yes it was. Here is an episode that is still up on Youtube. This one revolves around my fave character on the show.

•  

LJP

Hey Laura,
It looks kinda familiar. When did it run?
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: LJP on December 25, 2013, 11:43:53 PM
Hey Laura,
It looks kinda familiar. When did it run?

The pilot episode was shown on Nickelodeon in April of 1984. The CBS series (produced by DIC, instead of Nelvana, the company that produced the pilot.) It premiered on Saturday, September, 15th, 1984. It ran for one season and I remember it being re-ran until 1989 on CBS. Apparently, it was re-ran on some cable channels but those weren't carried by our cable company at the time. So, once it was no longer shown on CBS, that totally bummed me out.  :(
  •  

chrissydr

I am reading Harley's comic, but not wantingt o delve too much into the 52. Not a big fan and am still a bit uneasy about what they did with Harley, but i will see how it goes.

I used to read the Spiderman and Wolverine comics. West coast avengers were pretty good when it started, but was able to read the, due to ,y Uncle being a massive collector and he had them all.
I dunno... I was normal, throughout my life, until I turned 4 and realised that I shouldn't be called a he.
  •  

LJP

Hi Chrissy, I read the old Harley comics. I haven't warmed to the NU52 Harley. Seems less whimsical serial killer and more homicidal cosplayer. I didn't like the new outfit either. After the redesigns in arkham and injustice, nu52 felt lazy.
  •  

chrissydr

She is definitley not the same and i think they have just effed her up a bit. I like the Arkham style and def feel the same. It feels like they just kinda forgot about her and just threw her together last minute. I thought it was interesting the different artist bit but its kinda lazy.
I dunno... I was normal, throughout my life, until I turned 4 and realised that I shouldn't be called a he.
  •  

Ms Grace

Last time Harley had her own series I bought every issue. This new series? Despite Amanda Conner's involvement (co-writing and covers) I can't be bothered. If Conner was drawing the whole thing I'd buy it just because I absolutely love her art but I'm not touching it just for the covers. The New 52 Harley... WTF?

Back when DC had their Villains' Month I ended up with a whole heap of comics I would never have bought, but because of my standing order I got them in the bag regardless. The fact DC cynically published multiple issues of certain titles through the month meant I got a good serving of tripe. Half of them I still haven't read, the thought of doing so is painful... some have been stand outs (Wonder Woman: First Born, springs to mind) but the majority was dross... pointless stories, dreadful reboots, etc... and the Harley Quinn issue attached to one of my Batman titles was one of the worst. The way she "acquired" her "costume" was laughably pathetic. DC's Villains' Month just about killed my enthusiasm for not just super hero comics but all comics. I dropped about half of my titles after that stunt.
Grace
  •  

LJP

I'm relived to hear others aren't happy with the new direction dc took. Everyone has been over the moon for it here. I thought it was me. I think I'm going to pick up the trade for the new ms/captain marvel run. Have any of you ladies read it? Also ms grace what was ww:first born? I haven't heard of that one. Sadly I'm out of the comic loop.
  •  

Ms Grace

Wonder Woman: First Born was one of the two Villains' Month titles issued under Diana's comic. The First Born is the major new bad dude created (or recreated, I have no idea) by Azarello for the New 52 WW...  the issue might be collected into the WW TPBs, not sure.
Grace
  •  

LJP

I ordered some TPBs from amazon today. looks like he pops up around vol. 4. I'm looking forward to checking it out. I lost track on those. Any other suggestions grace?
  •  

Ms Grace

I've always been a huge fan of Fables... if you want to see Once Upon A Time done right, Fables is the concept they ripped off. ;)
Grace
  •  

LJP

I tried fables once. I had a couple frnds who loved it. I'm just not into fairy tales that much. It's the same with once and grimm. All my frnds love those shows I just can't get into them, I've tried. thx for the recommendation tho.
  •  

Ms Grace

Love the new avatar! I was using Mary Marvel for a while when I started here ;)
Grace
  •  

LJP

Quote from: Ms Grace on January 02, 2014, 05:45:28 PM
Love the new avatar! I was using Mary Marvel for a while when I started here ;)

Thx grace  :) I'm looking for a good hawkgirl one. I got a few , I'm not crazy about em tho. I got an appt. with my therapist mon. hoping she can recommend another that has exp. with gid. I ordered first two azzerello ww trades. How was your holidays?
  •