Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Jewelry Making

Started by Caitlyn, December 30, 2013, 01:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitlyn

So one of my hobbies is making jewelry, specifically chainmaille jewelry. I've always been partial to shiny things so it's only natural that my hobby would involve metal :) It's such a great feeling when you complete a new piece that you've put a lot of work into, isn't it? Anybody else into making jewelry? Post pics if you've got 'em!

The workstation:

One of my latest pieces, a 7/9 modified scherzo chain necklace. Approximately 26" long. 443 rings.

My current project, a serpentine Persian weave bracelet:

बुद्धिहीन तनु जानिकै सुमिरौं पवनकुमार।
बल बुधि बिद्या देहु मोहिं हरहु कलेस बिकार॥
  •  

Devlyn

•  

lilacwoman

i've been making my own for years and have quite a collection. On Friday I was out shopping with ladies of bowls team and they were very envious of my earrings which were three silver bells on long drops.

Just watching the Gentlemen Prefer Blondes film and Marilyn and Jane looked terrific with their jewellery - Jane's slim wrists and bracelets were gorgeous.
  •  

DriftingCrow

Wow, I love the Persian weave!

Here's my most recent piece (did it a few months ago):

I am in the process of planning another piece, I bought some wampum beads thinking 5 came per unit, but it's really 1 bead per unit.  :(  :(Yeah, I had to return the two I bought since it'd be way too expensive to make an entire necklace at the price charged per bead. I'll be ordering synthetic wampum instead soon.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Embrace

Very nice work! 

I'm quite interested in trying this out as a hobby.

Any particularly good sites for beginners?  Shops that sell parts?  Advice?

Thanks!  :)
embrace
  •  

DriftingCrow

You can get a lot of parts at Joann's fabric and places like Michael's Arts & Crafts. They also sell books there on jewelry making.

For my piece, I bought the buffalo tubes, shells, and other parts at Crazy Crow Trading Post. They have kits available too.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Caitlyn

Quote from: LearnedHand on December 30, 2013, 07:23:29 PM
Here's my most recent piece (did it a few months ago):

Wow, what a beautiful piece! :D

Quote from: Embracing Eva on December 30, 2013, 07:49:14 PM
I'm quite interested in trying this out as a hobby.

Any particularly good sites for beginners?  Shops that sell parts?  Advice?

Thanks!  :)

There are a lot of good books and sites that teach chainmaille weaving techniques. I really like http://www.mailleartisans.org/. They're a huge repository of information about all things chainmaille, they have photos of several hundred types of weaves, as well as tutorials on several dozen.

बुद्धिहीन तनु जानिकै सुमिरौं पवनकुमार।
बल बुधि बिद्या देहु मोहिं हरहु कलेस बिकार॥
  •  

Crowley

YES. I love to make jewelry. I recently branched out into it because I got inspired and these were the results:

Gonna be making more things soon since these were quite rewarding if not a bit of a pain to work on, lol.
  •  

DriftingCrow

They are beautiful! Where'd you get your supplies?
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Crowley

All over, actually! I mostly deal with second-hand materials, though I did get the fangs and the feathers from eBay. The leather was scrap from a project I was working on, and the citrine crystal I got in a trade with someone ( I got a lot of little gems and things scattered about ). The wood was found in the forest and is cedar from a stump, lol. I use a lot of 'found' supplies in my work.

Also, thank you! ;D
  •  

DriftingCrow

Pewter pendants, (simulated, real is too expensive, so it's clam instead of quahog and the purple is dyed) wampum, and bone.

Turtles are sacred.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

@Diana

thats nice .. i am from a jewelry business background, my parents own one but we quit ages ago when we grow up ..

i remembered i used to help my parents checked some stones before we sent out to customers .. its fun ..

my 1st job after i got my degree was an export sales in jewelry company .. fun job  :)

•  

DriftingCrow

Wampum, clamshells, nickel:

Double stranded. Amber color buffalo horn hairpipe, nickel beads, black buffalo horn beads:
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

asiandracula

I don't make jewelry very often, but I did take a metal smithing course a year ago. It was a lot of fun and I learned way more than I'll ever be able to put in use again (since I don't have a studio for all the dangerous equipment haha).
Here's one of my favorite pieces I made. It's a bracelet/armband made from copper with a black patina and polished brass.

•  

alexis.j

Nice.
I actually was thinking about getting some beads and stuff last week, to make some jewellery. I am very picky, and don't always find something I like, or what fits...
Im currently  looking around for a bead supplier I'm my vicinity.

On the metalworking side, yes I have been making and modifying jewelery for some time.
  •  

Lyric

I really like your work, Asiandracula. I would definitely wear that. Keep up the good work.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •