Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Issues/Problems/Etc you've found from being yourself in society.

Started by insideontheoutside, December 31, 2013, 11:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insideontheoutside

I'm just curious if anyone out there who has not transitioned/is not transitioning (let's define transition for this thread as anyone who was born as one gender but either lives full time as the opposite gender or is in the process of doing that) has experienced any specific issues or problems due to just being yourself. One example could be, someone born as male who wishes to wear more feminine clothing, makeup, have long hair, or someone who was born as female wearing male clothing, having short hair, etc. Could be things like mannerisms, hobbies, choice of job, socializing ... anything really that society may slap some gender stereotype on ... but that you do regardless because it's just you being yourself. Make sense? Also, any advice, tips, thoughts on dealing with other people if you have had issues?

Personally, the only time I've really felt this in my life was going to elementary school in the 80's. I wore boys clothing and shoes and there were kids that totally made fun of me/gave me a hard time. I also used to use the boys restroom which sent the teachers and principal into a tizzy haha. But I haven't really experienced any issues with people as an adult. I get the feeling that society is generally more forgiving to female bodied people who choose masculine things than the male bodied people who choose feminine things. But I haven't even really gotten any people thinking I was a dyke/butch lesbian either (which can be an assumption people make of apparent females who choose male clothing, activities, etc.).

I have felt some bias towards females in my life from certain males. Sometimes though with me it goes unnoticed since I don't consider myself female! But it was somewhat along the lines of, "Oh well women aren't any good at that" type of thing. I've also felt very weird when having to associate with a group of females. Since I don't think like them at all, it can be super awkward, and they often pick up on the fact that there's something "different" about me, but I don't think they can quite place it. I'm not a very good actor when it comes to social situations like that. Public restrooms can also be quite awkward. Depending on how I look, I've actually gotten women freaking out a bit or telling me I'm in the "wrong restroom"! And I never did understand the socializing women do in public restrooms. Even if they don't know one another. I had to endure a public restroom over the weekend where there was a line. It's like as soon as you get in the line, you're in some sort of social club where everyone is talking to one another and they try to drag you into it. Very odd.

Most of these types of things are just navigating social territory, but I think being oneself when you're trans/genderqueer/non binary can be challenging sometimes because of the expectations of society.
"Let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive."
  •  

halfsleep

One issue that I find myself dealing with is trying to attribute masculine traits to myself, to be able to "compete" with cismales. I know that it's not fair to myself or to cismales, but I can't help feeling inept by lack of strength, lack of ability to protect my woman - things like that.

There's also the obvious issue of not being able to identify as male and go by my desired name legally at work.
  •  

King Malachite

There are quite a few, but I can only think of two at the moment.

One of them is having to wear a bra in public and/or in the presence of men or face being chastised by family.  I really hate that because I don't like wearing bras usually.  I want them to be free if I'm not doing anything too active. 

Another thing is monitering extended interaction I have with women who some may percive to be very pretty.  Because I'm not a really girly person, I feel that if they see I'm being really friendly with them or initiate a hug, then they might percieve me as a "butch lesbian" that has a crush on them.  This is why I try to limit interaction with women in general.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

gennee

I resolved one issue using the ladies bathroom. I had my nervous moments but now I am
comfortable using them.

:)
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •