Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Sunday Assembly: A Church For The Godless Picks Up Steam

Started by LearnedHand, January 07, 2014, 04:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriftingCrow

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/07/260184473/sunday-assembly-a-church-for-the-godless-picks-up-steam
Author: Mandalit Del Barco Source: NPR

Audio Clip: 6 minutes 26 seconds

It sometimes feels like church in the auditorium of the Professional Musicians union in Hollywood. It's a Sunday morning, and hundreds of people are gathered to meditate, sing and listen to inspirational poetry and stories.

But then the live band starts up — performing songs by the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Jerry Lee Lewis. And instead of a sermon, there's a lecture by experimental psychologist and neuroscientist Jessica Cail about the biology of gender identification and sexual orientation.

This is a Los Angeles meeting of Sunday Assembly, a church for people who don't believe in God.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I heard this on NPR this morning. Is a church for Atheism something you'd be interested  in going to? Do you feels there's a human need for the benefits churches/temples offer?
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: LearnedHand on January 07, 2014, 04:36:42 PM
http://www.npr.org/2014/01/07/260184473/sunday-assembly-a-church-for-the-godless-picks-up-steam
Author: Mandalit Del Barco Source: NPR

Audio Clip: 6 minutes 26 seconds

It sometimes feels like church in the auditorium of the Professional Musicians union in Hollywood. It's a Sunday morning, and hundreds of people are gathered to meditate, sing and listen to inspirational poetry and stories.

But then the live band starts up — performing songs by the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Jerry Lee Lewis. And instead of a sermon, there's a lecture by experimental psychologist and neuroscientist Jessica Cail about the biology of gender identification and sexual orientation.

This is a Los Angeles meeting of Sunday Assembly, a church for people who don't believe in God.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I heard this on NPR this morning. Is a church for Atheism something you'd be interested  in going to? Do you feels there's a human need for the benefits churches/temples offer?

Kia Ora Henry,

For me personally no, well maybe out of curiosity I might pay one a visit if one opened up close by...
I very rarely go to Buddhist temples,(I should point out scientific topics are quite often brought up in Buddhist temples) but when I do I find a calming energy is always present, I guess this comes from those who frequent the temples do so with an open mind, open heart, and wholesome thoughts...

It's possible Sunday Assemblies will attract like-minded people who will go there to 'think' about things and broaden their knowledge/understanding on a number of topics...

Kinship, oneness, togetherness does tend to have a calming effect....

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: LearnedHand on January 07, 2014, 04:36:42 PM

Yes to both questions.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •