Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

A Beautiful Funeral

Started by Constance, January 11, 2014, 09:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Constance

Early on New Year's Day, Minister BobbieJean Baker, a trans woman of color and minister at City of Refuge church in Oakland, died in a car crash. I had been invited to her funeral service today, by friends of mine who were colleagues of hers.

It was a beautiful thing.

I'd never seen so many trans persons in a place of worship before, and we were in the First Congregational Church of Oakland. Miss Major, one of the last (if not the last) surviving Screaming Queens from the Stonewall Riots was there, as she had been adopted by BobbieJean as a grandmother. And as she spoke of BobbieJean I realized how much I owed the ease of my own transition to them both.

The Transcendence Gospel Choir, a choir entirely comprised of trans persons, sang in Minister BobbieJean's honor. And Bishop Yvette Flunder gave a rousing eulogy. Though not trans herself, Bishop Flunder leads City of Refuge, a congregation that is the home church to a great many trans persons, possibly as many as half of their regular attendees.

I went to support my friends in their grief, and ended up weeping for the memory of someone I never knew.

Rest in Power, Minister BobbieJean Baker.

Hallelujah, and amen!

DriftingCrow

ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Nero

aww that's nice to hear hon! May she rest in peace!
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Cindy

My she rest in peace and I'm so glad Constance could be there to channel our respect for a wonderful woman
  •  

King Malachite

It's always hard to lose anyone, but it's especially hard to lose someone to a car accident for me.

Rest in Peace, Minister BobbieJean Baker.

Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Constance

Thank you friends.

I'm sitting hear, teary eyed, exchanging text messages with one of my friends who'd invited me. Food is my drug of choice, and I'm on my second soda after having had too much dinner and a candy bar.

But the posts hear are healing.

Thank you again.

Vicky

May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed forever rest in peace.  May our sister grow each day in power to power and light to light in that place that knows no end or limit.
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •