Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Need Help Getting Healthy

Started by Kat, July 09, 2007, 01:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat

This kind of fits into nutrition and exercise, so I'll put it here.

I feel I am not at a healthy weight.  I'm 5'1" and weigh 98 pounds, and the scale I have says I have 10% body fat.  That seems really low and I don't think it could be too good for me.  I don't really eat healthy and I have problems exercising.  Despite all the junk I eat my metabolism is so fast that it doesn't really matter weight-wise.  However, I know that won't last forever and I don't want something like this hurting my health.

I'm a really picky eater.  Unfortunately, I can't stand the taste of most vegetables, and I can't even eat a  salad with or without various dressings because I just can't stand the taste.  About the only veggies I can eat are potatoes, carrots, peas kinda, and corn.  I like fruit, but my dad is on Atkins, so my mom tries to buy only food we can all eat, so fruit is out.  I do love pasta, and that is mostly what I eat when not at home or when my dad is out of town.  A large majority of my meals at home are red meat.  I don't drink soda, but pretty much all I drink is tea, usually peach flavored.

I'll be in college starting next month and I'll be in an apartment with a stove and microwave, and a small meal plan so I will be cooking for myself a majority of the time.  I'm hoping this gives me a chance to change my eating habits, but I don't know how I can achieve a healthy diet with how picky I am.

As for exercising, I've tried starting, but I can never keep doing it.  Growing up I was so afraid of getting noticeable muscle mass that I avoided doing any strenuous physical activity, but after doing that so long I am really weak and not in shape.  So I need help finding something that will build my strength up, and hopefully something that I can enjoy doing so I am not tempted to quit like everything else.  I should be walking more going to classes, but that isn't much.

So... basically I need to change everything  :laugh:
  •  

VeryGnawty

QuoteI feel I am not at a healthy weight.  I'm 5'1" and weigh 98 pounds, and the scale I have says I have 10% body fat.

First of all, that is not at all unhealthy if you are an ectomorph.  That's my weight after a long fast, although I normally weigh around 105 pounds when eating normally, not that I have a normal eating schedule or anything.

Don't worry about the weight, it will take care of itself.  Just focus on eating wholesome meals, preferably ones you cook yourself.  If you want to put on some weight, make a big rice/vegetable/meat bowl.  It takes little cooking knowledge or preparation (depending on how you cook your meat) and makes great leftovers.  Personally I'm a big fan of dairy products and rice, although spaghetti can be good if it is fixed in true Italian style.

Of course, no meal plan is good if you don't get your metabolism running.  Physical meditations like Yoga are great for this, but personally I prefer something a little more active.  If you're not into rigid exercise schedules, you might want to look into parkour.

Health is 90% attitude, and 10% physical.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Kat

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to look into some recipes before I head off to school.  I've tried yoga before but I had problems keeping doing it, I'll have to try that parkour though, that sounds kinda fun! Though I'll probably hurt myself  :P
  •