Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Mr Hockey's hockey thread!

Started by Calder Smith, January 27, 2014, 05:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calder Smith

I've been looking through the boards and couldn't find a thread dedicated to hockey, the BEST game on Earth!

Manchester United diehard fan.
  •  

Calder Smith

Buffalo @ Pittsburgh will be starting soon. I have a bad feeling this will be a blowout but.. Let's go Buffalo!
  •  

MadeleineG

And for a laugh, you can watch the Oilers get disemboweled in Vancouver. >:-)
  •  

Calder Smith

•  

Calder Smith

•  

Calder Smith

Hey, why am I making fun of the Oilers? I'm a Sabres fan..

*cries in a corner*
  •  

MadeleineG

Quote from: Mr Hockey on January 27, 2014, 06:52:50 PM
Hey, why am I making fun of the Oilers? I'm a Sabres fan..

*cries in a corner*

I wasn't going to say it. ::)

I'm four hours from Edmonton (closest team geographically), so half the people up here cry in the corner--frequently.  :embarrassed:
  •  

Calder Smith

I know how they feel..

Well at least they'll get another top draft pick! ;)

Btw, I'm a Senators fan as well. I was born in Ottawa. Still have some family who live in Canada.. some of them in Manitoba who are Jets fans.
  •  

MadeleineG

Quote from: Mr Hockey on January 27, 2014, 07:10:37 PM
Btw, I'm a Senators fan as well. I was born in Ottawa. Still have some family who live in Canada.. some of them in Manitoba who are Jets fans.

Cool. I'm just thinking aloud here, but if you're a dual citizen, you might want to consider moving back across the border so that you can access Ontario health coverage for transition. They cover basically everything. :)

Back to hockey, I dig those vintage Sens jersey. I want one! Yeah!

I'll never cheer for the Jets. If Saskatoon or Hamilton ever gets a team, though, they'll win my allegiance pretty quickly.
  •  

Calder Smith

Quote from: Gwynne on January 27, 2014, 08:02:19 PM
Cool. I'm just thinking aloud here, but if you're a dual citizen, you might want to consider moving back across the border so that you can access Ontario health coverage for transition. They cover basically everything. :)

Back to hockey, I dig those vintage Sens jersey. I want one! Yeah!

I'll never cheer for the Jets. If Saskatoon or Hamilton ever gets a team, though, they'll win my allegiance pretty quickly.

That's something to consider. Never thought about that. :)

I love the vintage Sens jerseys! I want to get one but they're hard to find in Buffalo.

You're a Leafs fan, right? One of my friends is a Leafs fan. That guy has some balls to walk around South Buffalo - the heart of Sabres nation with a Leafs jersey on. :o
  •  

MadeleineG

Quote from: Mr Hockey on January 27, 2014, 08:11:18 PM
That's something to consider. Never thought about that. :)

I love the vintage Sens jerseys! I want to get one but they're hard to find in Buffalo.

You're a Leafs fan, right? One of my friends is a Leafs fan. That guy has some balls to walk around South Buffalo - the heart of Sabres nation with a Leafs jersey on. :o

Transplanted Torontonian? >:-)

Yeah, I'm a Leafs fan. I grew up in southern Ontario and moved out west for work when I graduated. Now I live in the home province of Gordie Howe, Bryan Trottier, Tiger Williams, and hundreds of other NHL players. :D

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=CA&province=SK&state=
  •  

Calder Smith

Quote from: Gwynne on January 27, 2014, 08:24:04 PM
Transplanted Torontonian? >:-)

Yeah, I'm a Leafs fan. I grew up in southern Ontario and moved out west for work when I graduated. Now I live in the home province of Gordie Howe, Bryan Trottier, Tiger Williams, and hundreds of other NHL players. :D

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=CA&province=SK&state=

Nope, he was born and raised in Buffalo. He has Canadian roots like me though. :)

That's really cool. The only player I know from Buffalo is Patrick Kane. I live near his parents.

Are you going to watch the Winter Olympics? I'm pretty stoked. I'm rooting for USA this year 'cause I rooted for Canada in 2010. :p
  •  

MadeleineG

Quote from: Mr Hockey on January 27, 2014, 08:31:08 PM
Nope, he was born and raised in Buffalo. He has Canadian roots like me though. :)

That's really cool. The only player I know from Buffalo is Patrick Kane. I live near his parents.

Are you going to watch the Winter Olympics? I'm pretty stoked. I'm rooting for USA this year 'cause I rooted for Canada in 2010. :p

Not that Patrick Kane's chopped liver :D

I don't have cable at the moment, so I'll watch when I can. Most of the games will be streamed on CBC.ca, so that'll be my starting point.

I'll cheer for Canada unless we get knocked out, in which case, I'd cheer for the US. Worst case scenario: anyone but Russia.
  •  

Calder Smith

Quote from: Gwynne on January 27, 2014, 08:34:50 PM

I don't have cable at the moment, so I'll watch when I can. Most of the games will be streamed on CBC.ca, so that'll be my starting point.

I'll cheer for Canada unless we get knocked out, in which case, I'd cheer for the US. Worst case scenario: anyone but Russia.

I don't have cable either. Most of the Olympics will be broadcasted on NBC; I only have a couple local channels that come in through an antenna.

I was thinking about boycotting the Olympics for Russia's anti-lgbt stance but I really want to watch the ice hockey tournament.
  •  

MadeleineG

Quote from: Mr Hockey on January 27, 2014, 08:43:45 PM
I was thinking about boycotting the Olympics for Russia's anti-lgbt stance but I really want to watch the ice hockey tournament.

I detest Putin. He's a neo-fascist prig.

But I enjoy good hockey. So I'll watch.

I'm very disappointed in the IOC for staying silent on Russia's LGBT laws.
  •  

JenSquid

Quote from: Gwynne on January 27, 2014, 08:34:50 PM

Around here, Kane's regarded as a super hero of sorts. I imagine two Stanley Cup victories may have something to do with that.  ;D

Although I am a Hawks fan now, I wasn't when I first got into hockey. The Blackhawks' previous owner, Bill Wirtz, favored season tickets over single games, and kept home games off tv, so it was nearly impossible to actually see the Blackhawks in Chicago. Instead, I went to minor league games for my live hockey fix, and for televised hockey, I liked the Penguins. Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr were playing at the time, so that was something to watch.
  •  

Calder Smith

Quote from: Gwynne on January 27, 2014, 09:29:00 PM
I detest Putin. He's a neo-fascist prig.

But I enjoy good hockey. So I'll watch.

I'm very disappointed in the IOC for staying silent on Russia's LGBT laws.

Agreed, I cannot stand him.

I'm glad that the NHL has partnered with the You Can Play project showing support for LGBT athletes and fans though.

Quote from: JenSquid on January 27, 2014, 10:33:44 PM
Around here, Kane's regarded as a super hero of sorts. I imagine two Stanley Cup victories may have something to do with that.  ;D

Although I am a Hawks fan now, I wasn't when I first got into hockey. The Blackhawks' previous owner, Bill Wirtz, favored season tickets over single games, and kept home games off tv, so it was nearly impossible to actually see the Blackhawks in Chicago. Instead, I went to minor league games for my live hockey fix, and for televised hockey, I liked the Penguins. Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr were playing at the time, so that was something to watch.

Kane is kind of a d-bag to be honest. Living in the same area where he grew up, I've heard plenty of things about him. But, he is a great player. I've had a soft spot for the Hawks for a while now.
  •  

Calder Smith

Sabres got shutout 3-0 by MAF and the Pens.. :(
  •  

Hayley

Quote from: Mr Hockey on January 28, 2014, 07:44:23 AM
Sabres got shutout 3-0 by MAF and the Pens.. :(

And tonight the Caps get to do the same thing.
Byes!!!! It's been real but this place isn't for me. Good luck in the future everyone.
  •