Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What color is the universe?

Started by Jamie D, February 11, 2014, 10:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

Well, it has been studied and the answer is ...

COSMIC LATTE

Yes, "Cosmic Latte."

Cosmic Latte is the color of the universe, according to a team of astronomers from Johns Hopkins University. In 2001, Karl Glazebrook and Ivan Baldry determined that the color of the universe was a greenish white, but they soon corrected their analysis in "The 2dF Galaxy Redshift Survey: constraints on cosmic star-formation history from the cosmic spectrum", published in 2002. In this paper, they reported that their survey of the color of all light in the universe added up to a slightly beige white. The survey included more than 200,000 galaxies, and measured the spectral range of the light from a large volume of the universe.

http://www.oddee.com/item_63950.aspx
  •  

amZo

I never realized it had a color, would've guessed black though.

I liked number 4., the Earth day is expected to be 55 times longer in 15 billion years.
  •  

Danielle Emmalee

Discord, I'm howlin' at the moon
And sleepin' in the middle of a summer afternoon
Discord, whatever did we do
To make you take our world away?

Discord, are we your prey alone,
Or are we just a stepping stone for taking back the throne?
Discord, we won't take it anymore
So take your tyranny away!
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Nikko on February 11, 2014, 10:56:21 PM
I never realized it had a color, would've guessed black though.

I liked number 4., the Earth day is expected to be 55 times longer in 15 billion years.

The geological and paleontological record indicates that the number of days in a year is steadily dropping, as the Earth's rate of rotation around it's axis slows.  Because of the need to preserve angular momentum in the Earth-Moon system, the Moon is slowly drifting away from the Earth.

Think of the analogy of the ice skater doing a spin.  As she draws the mass of her arms inward, she rotates faster.  As she extends the mas of her arms she slows the spin.
  •