Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

"Fake It Until You Make It !" "Kumare"

Started by Anatta, March 13, 2014, 02:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,

It would seem I'm in one of my short burst thread starter moods....(so make the most of it-it won't last) ;) ;D

A few weeks back I was at the Monday night Buddhist Cake Club meeting at some friends house, one of the cake club group's son was there(visiting his mother-he lives in Scotland)...

The topic we had discussed that night was about meditation and what does it mean to the individual and the importance of teachers etc etc, what did each of us think about it...Well my friend's son told us about this "must see" documentary he saw recently call "Kumare" it was about a "Fake Guru/False Prophet " http://content.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,971515233001_2075202,00.html

When I saw the trailer I just cracked up(There are some spiritually gullible people around- and not just in the US), but after a while (after RAOFL) it got me thinking  ::) even if he was just faking it,  some of his newfound followers had really experienced a profound change-or so it would seem...His Guru faking words of wisdom seemed to work like a placebo effect on some of his followers...

Which goes to show the power of suggestion (especially coming from what one perceives as a wise but somewhat*fake* Guru) can work wonders...

Just thought I'd share this little tip bit with the readers...BTW the trailer's quite funny... :icon_biggrin:

"Fake it until you make it!"  :eusa_pray: I love it  ;D

Metta Anatta :)

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

DriftingCrow

Sat Nam Anatta:

I just watched the trailer, and read your commentary, which all resonates with my experiences as well. I go to a Gurdwara where there's lots of 3HO Kundalini Yoga practitioners, which I think is all kind of a cult. (there's a 3HO Sikh at 20 seconds in the trailer). The Kundalini yoga practitioners follow a version of Sikhi which was propagated by Yogi Bhajan in the late 1960s/early 1970s up until his death a few years ago. Yogi Bhajan seemed to present himself as a Guru to his Western followers after he moved to the USA to teach Kundalini yoga, and who is often spoken of as a Guru by his followers (we even have a painting of Yogi Bhajan hanging in our langar hall).

(Thing article I found kind of disturbing. Sikhi specifically preaches against having talismans, yet Guruka Singh kept Yogi Bhajan's toenails in a locket and thought it saved him from horrible injury. It's mainly the toenails that I find disturbing. http://www.3ho.org/community/your-stories/hanging-his-fingernails-self-sensory-human-action)

Even though I think their version of Sikhi is twisted and contradicts Sikh dharma, following Yogi Bhajan has made many of them into very good people, who are kind, accepting, calm, peaceful, humble, and loving. Some of them are better people than I am now and probably ever will be.

However, a main tenant of Sikhi was spoken by Guru Gobind Singh Ji "treat the whole of the human race as one". We're all in this together. If doing this form of yoga, chants, numerology, Hindu rituals, etc. floats their boat, that's fine with me as long as they don't drag me into it.

Jap Prem  :)
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •