Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The new Cosmos is spectacular!

Started by dalebert, April 07, 2014, 11:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

And you can watch episodes of it online for a limited time. The first episode online expires in 27 days. You have more time for the later episodes.

It's well-produced shows that like this, that manage to merge entertainment and education, that will inspire curiosity in kids to learn more.

SilverGirl

i really liked the first episode! Neil is very funny, engaging and fun to listen to, however, i was very surprised about his meeting with carl sagan, that was fascinating, and how much that changed his life and made him a great scientist and person

i'm gonna look for more next week
  •  

JamesG

I find it kind of preachy.  :) It reminds me of some of the rambling lectures I had to sit thru in college.  Dr. Tyson pulls the show along with his charisma, but its not particularly well written or edited IMO.
  •  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: JamesG on April 14, 2014, 07:39:37 PM
I find it kind of preachy.  :) It reminds me of some of the rambling lectures I had to sit thru in college.

I was never a big fan of Tyson, or Sagan for that matter.  I'll take a pass on this one.

Give me a good Dawkins or Hitch and I'm good to go.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

whatismylife

i found it so mindbogglingly beautiful i wept
  •  

Polybun

Quote from: dalebert on April 07, 2014, 11:33:20 AM
And you can watch episodes of it online for a limited time. The first episode online expires in 27 days. You have more time for the later episodes.

It's well-produced shows that like this, that manage to merge entertainment and education, that will inspire curiosity in kids to learn more.

I love it... but... I get a bit distracted... kind of the same way I did with the origonal... I found Carl Sagan VERY attractive... I find Mr. Tyson very attractive as well.
  •  

dalebert

BTW, I believe all the episodes are now available on Netflix streaming.

Felix

It has certainly spawned a lot of gifs that are floating around the internet. The old Cosmos changed my life and I still hold dear the soundtrack to it, but I haven't gotten around to making myself watch any of the new one yet. I'm glad to hear that it's good.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Tossu-sama

I hadn't even heard about the old Cosmos before the new one since it was never aired in Finland and they did a s*itty trick with the new one by showing only the first episode on a regular channel and the rest on National Geographic for which you gotta pay to be able to watch it. >:( I was so bummed when I realized that and tried to watch them online (even got around the United States restriction) but the player is awful and didn't agree with our internet connection at all and it took several hours to watch one episode. >_>

But now they're finally gonna show all the episodes on regular TV so I can watch all the awesomeness for real this time! Can't wait for October 12! :D
  •  

dalebert

No access to Netflix in Finland? I guess it's possible that even if you do, the licensing might be different so a Finland Netflix might not have all the same shows.

Tossu-sama

^ We can access Netflix but I don't use it because I don't want to pay for anything. xD I can't really say anything about Finland's Netflix because of that.

But damn is that series amazing. Gives me goosebumps every time and also blows my mind to the walls. Try to understand the size of the observable universe, piece of cake.

...Not.
  •