Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Belief in god but not Religion, what am I?

Started by Xenguy, April 10, 2014, 01:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenguy

So, I don't know if I'm crazy or indecisive, or both really, but I gave up on religion a long time ago. However, I still believe that there possibly is a god somewhere. I just don't put that to any religion, not Christianity, not Judaism, nothing. I don't believe in the usefulness of praying and I don't believe in church. I couldn't care less about any holy book out there, I'm just convinced that I still believe in god..... so what am I?

Before, I was tempted to call myself atheist, but I think that's a little far-fetched, any ideas as to what this could be called?
  •  

Finnyh

Hey man,
I'm thinking agnostic?
It's sort of a broad term that encompasses just about anyone who has vague beliefs in God/gods/deities but without identifying with any particular religion. That's about all I can think of.
  •  

alabamagirl

Pretty sure the correct term for this is deist. My understanding is that deists believe in God but don't follow a religion.

Edit: Or, you could just go with the all-encompassing 'free thinker.' That works for any beliefs that don't fit into a religion.
  •  

TerriT

Faith is individual and God speaks to us in His own way. You don't need a religion or label to justify your faith.
  •  

Xenguy

Thank you all very much, I've just done some searching and I think Deist sums it up the best (: And thank you Tiffany, I know, I just want an easy way of summing it up and putting it in simpler terms for people who may have not heard of such a thing before. <3 8)
  •  

rose

•  

Jess42

Quote from: TiffanyT on April 10, 2014, 01:31:56 AM
Faith is individual and God speaks to us in His own way. You don't need a religion or label to justify your faith.

Definately this. You don't have to label yourself as anything to believe in God or good. Tiffany is right, your relationship with God is your own personal experience unique to yourself.
  •  

BlonT

I would say a wise person ,religions are power groups and we see not much good coming from them.
  •  

HoneyStrums

Quote from: TiffanyT on April 10, 2014, 01:31:56 AM

but its nice to have a word we can use to comunicate it.
and i agree :)
  •  

Jen72

I also consider my self agnostic.

As far as faith goes I think I had learned from what a relative said and he was a pastor of the catholic faith I think.  Any way his description of faith was you can believe in a god or even a tree you are probably closer to god then any organized religion. 

I had a friendly argument with someone once it was simple question that she asked me "could I believe there is a god?" and my retort was "could you believe there is no god?" We did not come to a consensus which makes sense that was her faith and I had mine as long as we respect each others faith or whatever what difference does it make as long as we are not fighting over everything or doing evil/wrong things.
For every day that stings better days it brings.
For every road that ends another will begin.

From a song called "Master of the Wind"" by Man O War.

I my opinions hurt anyone it is NOT my intent.  I try to look at things in a neutral manner but we are all biased to a degree.  If I ever post anything wrong PLEASE correct me!  Human after all.
  •  

Illuminess

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I needed a place to put this quote:

"I seem to be a brief light that flashes but once in all the aeons of time — a rare, complicated, and all-too-delicate organism on the fringe of biological evolution, where the wave of life bursts into individual, sparkling, and multicolored drops that gleam for a moment only to vanish forever. Under such conditioning it seems impossible and even absurd to realize that myself does not reside in the drop alone, but in the whole surge of energy which ranges from the galaxies to the nuclear fields in my body. At this level of existence "I" am immeasurably old; my forms are infinite and their comings and goings are simply the pulses or vibrations of a single and eternal flow of energy."

— Alan Watts, "The Book On The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are"

Religion is simply an encasing for spirituality. Think of God as an iPhone, and think of religion as all the various kinds of cases for it. Each one might have its own unique feature, texture and color, and some cases might break easily while others might be nearly indestructible. They all serve the same purpose, though. They make you feel more comfortable by protecting your phone. Religion makes you feel more comfortable by ensuring that your faith has foundation. Not all spiritual people need that kind of reassurance or guidance. Belief is enough; no need to feel bound by dogma.

The Founding Fathers of America were Deists, contrary to popular belief. It was the Age of Enlightenment, and Freemasonry was flourishing as the modern mystery school. I only mention this because secret orders are often great places to commune with like-minded people who have made spirituality a driving force in their lives and prefer a kind of structure that focuses more on one's self-mastery and altruistic intent rather than the soul-shackling legalism of the church.

Of course, Freemasonry is only for the male-identified, and some lodges are very strict allowing in only cis men. Order of the Eastern Star is an option, but not one I'd really recommend. So, instead, there is an all-inclusive order called the Independent Order of Odd Fellows: http://www.ioof.org

Here is a section of their mission statement:

"As an organization, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows aims to provide a framework that promotes personal and social development. Lodge degrees and activities aim to improve and elevate every person to a higher, nobler plane; to extend sympathy and aid to those in need, making their burdens lighter, relieving the darkness of despair; to war against vice in every form, and to be a great moral power and influence for the good of humanity. For members, the degrees in Odd Fellowship emphasizes a leaving of the old life and the start of a better one, of welcoming travelers, and of helping those in need. The command of the IOOF is to"visit the sick, relieve the distressed, bury the dead and educate the orphan." Specifically, IOOF today are dedicated to the following purposes:

- To improve and elevate the character of mankind by promoting the principles of friendship, love, truth, faith, hope, charity and universal justice.
- To help make the world a better place to live by aiding each other, the community, the less fortunate, the youth, the elderly, the environment and the community in every way possible.
- To promote good will and harmony amongst peoples and nations through the principle of universal fraternity, holding the belief that all men and women regardless of race, nationality, religion, social status, gender, rank and station are brothers and sisters."

And one last thing: there are also a few less occulted organisations/societies that focus on personal illumination and world charity such as The Theosophical Society originally founded by Mme. H.P. Blavatsky, as well as the Ancient and Mystical Order Rosae Crucis (AMORC) that incorporates a very Christian ethic without being preachy.

I think shedding light on these options can be helpful to the transgender community who seek to belong in a spiritually focused organisation or temple, but are turned off by the usual. My personal path is Thelema, but I benefit from all perspectives and teachings. I may not think of God in the Abrahamic sense, or find God to be a personal one, but I couldn't imagine living life without that connection. If you don't tap into it you'll never understand why others do. It's like the intuitive knowing we have about our gender: it cannot be explained or demonstrated in scientific clarity, but the experience is perfectly self-evident.
△ ☾ Rıνεя Aяıп Lαυяıε ☽ △

"Despair holds a sweetness that only an artist's tongue can taste."Illuminess
  •  

janetcgtv

You are a Deist.
You believe in the existence of God but in no organized religions. I was an atheist once but I saw a movie with Yul Brynner in it. One group of incas or mayans was fleeing from a stronger group. They believed in human sacrifice . Yul Brynner told the leader of the first group to look around and then told him see you don't have to sacrifice. As life is all around you. Then I asked myself how did life get here and realized who put life here.
  •  

Annabella

Quote from: janetcgtv on August 18, 2014, 03:48:28 PM
Then I asked myself how did life get here and realized who put life here.

I would hope that there was more to your reasoning than a moment of emotional appeal based upon a fictional scripted event in a film. I am not saying I want you to change your mind necessarily about what you believe, but this seems an extremely poorly constructed bit of reasoning to base your metaphysical outlook on. Life as we know it appears to be produced by purely natural mechanisms, and even if we had no explanation at all for it positing a miraculous entity would not be valid unless you could first confirm the existence of said entity and that said entity possessed the necessary miraculous mechanism. You have your epistemology quite well out of order, don't you think?

Some simple questions to think on:
1. Do you have any other reason to hypothesize a "who" was the source of life on earth other than intuition?
2. Was human intuition sufficient to determine that the earth rotates as it spins around the sun?

If not (1) and not (2) are you justified in claiming a "who" rather than a "what" was responsible for life on earth?

If such metaphysical answers about the nature of reality were subject to definitive determination from the armchair of the average person via human intuition we wouldn't have been arguing about it for the past couple thousand years or more don't you think?

Just some food for thought.  :angel:
"But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy."
― Ellen Wittlinger, Parrotfish
  •  

janetcgtv

Annabella:
Faith is believing that a God exists. NO ONE has ever seen GOD in the entire history of the human race. If you wish to bring Moses up, he only saw a burning bush in the 10 Commandments. Also no one knows if God is Female or Male.  I used to be a die hard atheist. I just look around and see all the beings here: animal, vegetable, mineral . Also look at the trees and flowers. I don't think we came from some kind of soup but from a design by someone. Also one needs someone above us to help us get though a bad ordeal. Even an atheist has been seen praying in a fox hole which was being shelled by an enemy force.
I had become an atheist as no organized religion seem to give me any hope for being trans.
  •  

Illuminess

Faith is the response to experience. Whether you believe in a god, many gods, or in the notion that an intelligent, impersonal and creative force permeates all of existence (including ourselves), it is faith that keeps you connected. One of the biggest problems we have is people basing all of their ideas of what God is on Christian mythology, and using Biblical text or loathsome Christian behaviour as justification for choosing atheism. There's more to reality than that. If someone doesn't care to consider any possible explanation or idea regarding the nature of God then they're simply not ready to, and maybe they never will. It shouldn't matter, because it's their life, not ours.

Personally, my belief has nothing to do with emotional appeal. Emotions should never rule our judgment, or influence our ability to reason. God is also not something you can measure or come to any finite conclusions about. You can choose endless ways to define it for your own comfort, but even that isn't relevant. What's relevant is the experience.

I will now quote myself:

"If you don't tap into it you'll never understand why others do. It's like the intuitive knowing we have about our gender: it cannot be explained or demonstrated in scientific clarity, but the experience is perfectly self-evident."

And sure, you can debate that, but what's the use? It's either something that you're open to, or it isn't. There should be no judgment either way.

•  

Jen72

First of consider myself agnostic but I think I can define faith in a different general way.

Faith is truly the belief in something that does not physically exist since we need something to believe in that can explain the unknowns that we can not explain in our own mind.  And faith can be belief in a god but it might also be belief in science, a person or even oneself all could really apply depending on what that person believes and nothing wrong or right about any belief.  Well ok the sacrificial murderous belief maybe not but think you can get my point on this. 

The most important thing is if we can all respect each others faith which sadly in this world I see two main factions of faith that have been fighting since the crusades. Christianity and the Islamic religions which sadly may never get along totally yet both preach love for thy neighbor if not mistaken but as humans we tend to misconstrue meanings to fit our own ends (generally speaking not everyone). 

If we could all respect each other whether it was faith/religion, race, gender, etc we might actually have peace on earth but there will always be some that are power hungry and or greedy.  Such is the human race at this point.  Sad yet true.

I my opinions hurt anyone it is NOT my intent.  I try to look at things in a neutral manner but we are all biased to a degree.  If I ever post anything wrong PLEASE correct me!  Human after all.
  •  

Illuminess

•  

Martine A.

@Xenguy

Do you talk to the god you trust exists? Do you feel like you are being challenged and then judged based on your actions?
That is how I feel, and I call that theism. I believe in god but I want no affiliation with a church or a religion.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
HRT - on the hard way to it since 2015-Sep | Full time since evening 2015-Oct-16
Push forward. Step back, but don't look back.
  •  

Jen72

Michellmartine not trying to judge but I would classify you as simply a spiritual person.

Oddly I had a relative that was a pastor who believed this that you could be more in tune with god worshipping a tree then going to church. What shocked me about that was and I think he was catholic on top of that but to actually come from a priest does say something that current organized religion does not mean you are truly religious. In other words your faith in god could be stronger then someone who goes to church every sunday and nothing wrong with that at all.

•