Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Alcohol Abuse and Denial

Started by AlexHunter, April 21, 2014, 09:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexHunter

I posted a lot of this in my intro thread, but the short version is that I had a real breakthrough about a month ago about my alcohol abuse when I finally realized the truth about my gender issues. I had been using cross-gender dress as a sexual fetish, but in doing so had pushed down my underlying needs, which I'm still figuring out. I don't know all the labels, but I'm coming to realize that I am in a different place on the gender spectrum than I had ever allowed myself to believe. I was in deep, deep, denial.

Since my breakthrough (which was an incredibly intense emotional breakdown), I have been sober. It's just been one month (a little less than, actually) but I am amazed at the fact that I've gone from getting passing-out drunk 3-5 nights a week to not drinking at all (I've had a beer and a half with one meal and two glasses of wine with Easter dinner) and I've had no cravings or temptations.

I'm wondering if anyone else had been through something similar -- if getting a better handle on the gender issue (and the pain that it causes) had caused a sudden shift in substance abuse or addiction. Thanks in advance.
  •  

Ms Grace

Hi Alex, I haven't personally but I hear what you've experienced is quiet common and I'm sure there are some folk here that will share their story.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

JulieBlair

Hi Alex,
I've been sober for twenty-five years.  Before that I was a pretty typical alcoholic, kind of like what you describe. Gender issues may have been a part of it, but the truth is I loved pretty much everything about drinking.  For me sobering up was easy - I did it dozens if not hundreds of times. Living sober was pretty tough, impossible actually.  I had to find community and guidance, for me that was AA.  I still go to meetings, and participate.  It is necessary for me even though I have been sober a long time.  Just as my gender dysphoria was progressive, so was my alcohol addiction.  Just as authenticity has helped me discover who I am in this context, AA and the steps of recovery changed my view of the world and my place in it and has given me the tools to live life on life's terms rather than mine.  If you want to talk recovery, PM me and I'll give you my contact information.  You are not alone in this, and there is both help and a solution.  It is neither easy nor quick, but is is life affirming and sometimes life saving.  Good luck and I hope to hear from you.
Julie
I am my own best friend and my own worst enemy.  :D
Full Time 18 June 2014
Esprit can be found at http://espritconf.com/
  •  

AlexHunter

Quote from: JulieBlair on April 21, 2014, 09:49:15 PM
Hi Alex,
I've been sober for twenty-five years.  Before that I was a pretty typical alcoholic, kind of like what you describe. Gender issues may have been a part of it, but the truth is I loved pretty much everything about drinking.  For me sobering up was easy - I did it dozens if not hundreds of times. Living sober was pretty tough, impossible actually.  I had to find community and guidance, for me that was AA.  I still go to meetings, and participate.  It is necessary for me even though I have been sober a long time.  Just as my gender dysphoria was progressive, so was my alcohol addiction.  Just as authenticity has helped me discover who I am in this context, AA and the steps of recovery changed my view of the world and my place in it and has given me the tools to live life on life's terms rather than mine.  If you want to talk recovery, PM me and I'll give you my contact information.  You are not alone in this, and there is both help and a solution.  It is neither easy nor quick, but is is life affirming and sometimes life saving.  Good luck and I hope to hear from you.
Julie

Responded privately.
  •  

big kim

I abused alcohol to blot out dysphoria from 13.I never got into spirits or liquor but found that as I  got older my taste and tolerance for alcohol decreased hugely. I've drunk 3 glasses of cider and 4 glasses of wine so far this year.Both my parents were alcoholics,my Dad still is and I've wondered if I've inherited it though my sister drinks more than me she's still a moderate drinker.
  •  

Satinjoy

I am 30 years now in AA.  At about 60 days sober, and really struggling, I decided to get completely desperate and i finally came out in the meeting for the first time to anyone - by showing up crossdressed.

They told me I needed a better wig, that I had a lot of guts, and that I don't have to drink today.  There was nothing but unconditional love and acceptance.

AA works, I still go to meetings, I chair them, I started one at 7AM to get a head start on my day, and when the dysphoria broke me again last year, they have helped me to get through the alcoholic part, as my brain will seize on anything to try to drive me back to a drink.

But it wont.  I am clean and sober 28 1/2 years.  I never take it for granted.  April 27th will be 30 years since my last drink, when I threw up on a Broadway directors foot.

AA is a wonderful place.
Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the red pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the little blue pills - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes

Sh'e took the little blue ones.
  •  

JulieBlair

Hi Miss Satinjoy,
Happy birthday!!  On a directors foot?  Really?  Too funny, but I'll bet it wasn't at the time.  I hope it was at rehearsal or a cast party.

Break a Leg
Julie
I am my own best friend and my own worst enemy.  :D
Full Time 18 June 2014
Esprit can be found at http://espritconf.com/
  •  

Nero

I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I still drink a lot. For me though, drinking was always tied more to grief than gender stuff.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Satinjoy

Quote from: JulieBlair on April 22, 2014, 09:06:25 AM
Hi Miss Satinjoy,
Happy birthday!!  On a directors foot?  Really?  Too funny, but I'll bet it wasn't at the time.  I hope it was at rehearsal or a cast party.

Break a Leg
Julie

It was a Broadway show I was cast in that had just been closed that night without opening, over a rights issue.  They took the cast out to an open bar and I was too inexperieced at 30 days sober.  The good part is I actually can remember my last drink lol.

Many thanks.
Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the red pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the little blue pills - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes

Sh'e took the little blue ones.
  •  

Jill F

Oh yes, denial and booze.  Denial and drugs.  Then it was "Holy f***ing s***, I'm trans!" and I about lost it.  Then I thought I'd drink myself so blotto that I didn't care if I ever woke up, like being trans was the end of the world.  Fear of the unknown and all that.  Well, I did wake up in the hospital twice inside of a couple of weeks.

The good news is that I don't feel I have to drink all the time anymore.  I don't need to get blotto or escape my reality anymore. I'm much more comfortable in my own skin now and if I do drink now, it's just to have fun or enjoy a great bottle of wine.  My wife and I are a riot when we drink together.  We don't every day, but when we have "happy hour", it's just that.
  •