Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My Inspiring Pup

Started by Bombadil, April 21, 2014, 10:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombadil

I tend to take on the animals that no one wants. Don't tell me what a great person I am, I hate that mooshy stuff and that's not the point :P A little over a year ago, I took in a foster. She was just 3 months old and when I realized the depth of her issues I adopted her. She needed someone insane and stubborn like me. Heh.

Something happened to her. Either really late in pregnancy, at birth, or just after birth. Mamma was a stray so no one will ever know what exactly happened. The result was that Little Miss Determined, was brain damaged and born with a deformed and useless right front leg. The brain damage was significant. She's blind, numb on 1/2 her muzzle, uncoordinated, weak on the left side and has some issues. When I think about it in those terms I don't understand how she is alive. She shouldn't be. But then I think about how stubborn she is and understand why she's alive.

She is a fighter and when mom and pups were picked up (she was about 8 weeks) she was still alive. She dealt with being in the shelter, the animal hospital and a few foster homes. Her front leg was amputated just above the elbow. The surgery was hard on her and I believe she was in constant pain after. Her foster home didn't know how to handle her and were actually afraid of this 3 month bundle of anger and teeth and helplessness.

So she came to live with me and it's been one of the best things in my life. She could only walk in faltering circles, had troubles feeding herself, couldn't wag her tail, didn't like to be touched and was incredibly loud and reactive. But I also watched her memorize the layout of my house within a day of arriving. I watched her zero in on the kitty litter box and be super persistent in getting in there. She'd play. She kept learning a tiny, slow bit at a time.

And once we figured out that her stump was a constant source of pain and she had a second (much better!) amputation she became a new dog. Once she started on some meds to help her manage things she began to learn at an amazing rate. She isn't normal by any means. She has her issues and struggles and it's ridiculous to expect her to fit in the normal doggy mode. It doesn't really matter. She's happy. She plays. She cuddles with me. She wags her tail and loves to explore and be outside.

She reminds me of the important things. She's been wagging her tail for months but I still feel delighted when she does it. Her stubbornness drives me insane sometimes but I'm so grateful for it. That's what kept her alive. When she cuddles with me, I can't even tell you how amazing it is. The dog who hated to be touched and now she pushes herself hard against me. And she needed help to get there and meds and surgery but it doesn't make her less. If anything it makes her more because of all that she has had to overcome. And she won't ever be normal, but she doesn't need to be.

I share this because maybe she's a good reminder for other's out there. For me, she's completely inspirational.

•  

MacG