Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

smooth. Real smooth.

Started by jonjon, April 24, 2014, 08:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonjon

I have just moved clinics from Sheffield to Leeds. We're only at 1st impressions at the minute. But my first impression is this; Sheffield are a load of bull. Leeds knows how to look after their patients. Patient? That what I am?  :-\ Will have to find a better word for that!

But the point I'm trying to make. As i sat in my consultation with Leeds today as my very first visit they asked me many questions where my answers inevitably ended up questioning Sheffields methods and what they've actually done for me. I don't like bad mouthing people and such, but today was a slap in the face as reality has opened my eyes to just how s*** a service they are!

Did you know I can get my treatment done at my own GP with just a letter from the gender clinic with such request? I didnt. Even when I told Sheffield how inconvenient it was for me to travel to them. Even after they had both nurses sick and my treatment was delayed by two months. They mentioned nothing!

Did you know after surgery was decided you're meant to have a follow up appt to discuss everything about it to make sure you're ready and you know the ins and outs of exactly what's going to happen and what to expect? I didn't. And I've never had such an appt.

What the hell, Sheffield? If I had never transferred, I would have never known about such things and would have continued to struggle believing this is the norm and the limit of their care!

As Leeds explained today all these things I felt like a fool for being walked all over.

I think my advice to everyone here, UK or not, is to make sure you're getting everything you need from your gender clinic. Look further into general practice of the services you should have access to and make sure you're getting it. This is your life and the level of care they should be administering should be absolute. No excuses.
Please check out my vampire novel project!

https://www.facebook.com/thickerthanbloodproject?ref=bookmarks

Please like, follow, share and support! :D
  •  

Jeatyn

When I first contacted my GP in the midlands about what I needed to do to get things rolling, apparently they sent off a letter to the Sheffield GIC to refer me, great. I waited ages, then finally called them to see if anything was going on, and they replied with "oh we only fund MTF not FTM"

Wait what? This resulted in me getting in contact with my MP, and then contacting the department of health and the PCT for the area to tell them that it was horrendous to only offer treatment to MTF. The reply I got from all three: that was a lie, they have funding for both.

I went to London after that xD it sounds like I got lucky that they fobbed me off. The London team(s) I saw (Dr Curtis Privately and Charring Cross NHS) were alright, but so so busy and super inconvenient for me, and the GP's I had in the Midlands were utterly useless and unhelpful at coordinating my care with the London GIC's

I've since moved to Walkergate in the North East, they're great here. Things have moved so much faster and smoother since I transferred over to them. Why the same standard can't be offered across the board is beyond me.

Also the fancy term they use at meetings for us is "service users" rather than patients =D
  •  

jonjon

I've heard the 'service user's term before from my oh who's in the social care line of work. I hate that more than 'patient' *shudders*

Everyone should get the same level of service across the country. I heard recently there isn't a pct anymore?? Not sure what the truth is to that and if it is... How it all works now??? O.o

It's really made me so angry. I'm already angry at Sheffield for making me wait for my letter for my passport... Which still hasn't been done 5wks after requested. You know what excuse they're using? It's on the list to be discussed but hasn't yet... Because... We'll because nothing. No reason. It's been on urgent for 3 weeks.

It's pathetic.

•  

AdamMLP

Quote from: jonjon on April 25, 2014, 02:53:02 PM
Everyone should get the same level of service across the country. I heard recently there isn't a pct anymore?? Not sure what the truth is to that and if it is... How it all works now??? O.o

PCTs have been replaced by CCGs (Clinical Commissioning Groups).  They do basically the same job as far as I'm aware.  The GICs already have funding set up with NHS England now so they're even less relevant for us now if I understand it all properly.

QuoteIt's really made me so angry. I'm already angry at Sheffield for making me wait for my letter for my passport... Which still hasn't been done 5wks after requested. You know what excuse they're using? It's on the list to be discussed but hasn't yet... Because... We'll because nothing. No reason. It's been on urgent for 3 weeks.

I'm assuming that you mean a letter stating permanent gender change for your passport.  Your GP can write a letter if they're willing to, which can be a bit tricky if you haven't officially been diagnosed yet, but is possible.
  •  

jonjon

Thanks. If nothing happens on Monday I will go to my GP. Just hope they dont need an appt from me because I don't have the time for one!

•  

Jeatyn

As always it depends on the doctor! Some will need an appointment, some will just get it done and hand it over, some will charge an admin fee

I got my letter for my gender marker changing way before I got hormones but I had to pester the midlands GP for it for months

Also, I recently found out that a GP is also qualified to be one of the people who write the recommendation letter for getting a Gender Recognition Certificate. I got one of my referrals around a year ago and thought I would have to wait for my surgeon to do the other one - got told at Walkergate recently that this isn't the case ::)
  •